Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, I might love it that JL gives me Salon for free in F, but it does remain an outstanding Champagne anyway, including on the only two occasions in my life when I have actually bought it!
+1 for JL's champagne choices! I think even when it's run out I prefer La Grande Annee to LPGS, unfortunately no airline I'm aware of serves Bollinger RD which would absolutely guarantee my custom
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No contest for me, I'd even choose Castelnau over the DP! I think DP is a horrid wine.
That sounds like a challenge for a blind tasting!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Wine selection in the JFK CCR this evening:

White

Red

Zindafel was off the page

Dessert

That's from January, does anyone have a more recent wine list?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
No contest for me, I'd even choose Castelnau over the DP! I think DP is a horrid wine.
It's been said here before, but it is worth repeating...Vintage Champagnes can and often do taste different each year. Some years DP is very good and some years less so. And of course this maxim is true for Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's been said here before, but it is worth repeating...Vintage Champagnes can and often do taste different each year. Some years DP is very good and some years less so. And of course this maxim is true for Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc.
Indeed, I've just never found one that is even almost palatable. I've lost count of how many I've tried but not a single one has lasted past one or two sips. It's just not for me, carbonated cat's pee
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, I've just never found one that is even almost palatable. I've lost count of how many I've tried but not a single one has lasted past one or two sips. It's just not for me, carbonated cat's pee
I can't say I drink it often or know about every year, but the 2000 and 2002 that they used to serve on EK was excellent I thought. But as they say, à chacun son goût
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
First Champagne selection

Aug 27: JFK-LHR and
Sep 2: LHR-PHL

Laurent-Perrier Grand Siècle
Duval-Leroy Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru 2006
Jacquart Rosé Mosaïque NV

The LPGS is consistently good and enjoyed on the ground but switched to the more complex and distinctive Duval-Leroy in the air. But remember, "in matters of taste, there is no argument."
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not even thinking of disputing the taste reference of H.E. The Ambassador, but must confess I'm slightly worried about how the experience was acquired.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a point of comparison, AF served up Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2005 today. ^
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
.... at about 09.30 I decided to move on to red. What a disappointment! The choice was between 2 St Emilion Grand Crus, a Chinon, and a new world (possibly American) pinot noir. Why would they have 2 St Emilions, and why no burgundy I thought to myself.

Seriously though, who does decide which wines are offered on any given day/week in the Concorde Room? And why is it thought OK to serve a wine that was opened maybe 12-15 hours earlier with just a cork in the top. Why don't they use vacu vins or something similar when they close up in the evening?
My earlier post got somewhat hijacked by a discussion as to whether or not it's a good idea to leave good red with just a cork in the top for 12-15 hours.

I would still be interested to know:
1) Who does decide (and how) which wines get served in CCR? Specifically, on the day I was there - why 2 different St Emilions, but no burgundy?
2) Why aren't VacuVins (or similar) used on open bottles at the end of the evening?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stimpy
As a point of comparison, AF served up Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2005 today. ^
OT, but we enjoyed a bottle of Taittinger Comfes de Champagne 1999 at home recently and were very pleased.

Will certainly look to drink it again at home and would be delighted to see it on board any flight!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
My earlier post got somewhat hijacked by a discussion as to whether or not it's a good idea to leave good red with just a cork in the top for 12-15 hours.

I would still be interested to know:
1) Who does decide (and how) which wines get served in CCR? Specifically, on the day I was there - why 2 different St Emilions, but no burgundy?
2) Why aren't VacuVins (or similar) used on open bottles at the end of the evening?

Can anyone enlighten me?
I sure there is a very sophisticated selection process with weeks of planning. Something like on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun take the first bottle from shelves 1-5 and the other days from shelves 6-10.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by haasha
I sure there is a very sophisticated selection process with weeks of planning. Something like on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun take the first bottle from shelves 1-5 and the other days from shelves 6-10.
Actually, the CCR wine list is usually quite stable and I believe that the full monthly list is normally available, but it seems that GGLWannabe did not get the full provision because of the time, where extremely few people will typically order wine (even though Champagne is typically flowing already so it is not about alcohol per se). In that case, I imagine that the bartenders are the ones seeing what is already open or what they might be willing to open already.

In GF however, wines rotate daily and I believe several times during the day, and matches often seen random, e.g. if things haven't changed, you may have three Bordeaux on one day but not a single French wine the next. No clue if there is any logic or if it is just random.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
It seems that the main discussion in this thread is about champagne, but did anyone else happen to try to Uruguayan wines that were introduced on (I presume on all) S American routes back in July? Both white and red - same vineyard, but the name escapes me. Was intrigued to see them on the menu, but unable to try them on the way down to GRU, but did request the white on the way back. Cabin crew gent serving me said it was the first request he'd had for them, and opened the bottle for me, but I have to say it was absolutely undrinkable. I thought it was just me, but got him to sniff and my colleague to taste, and they agreed. So it was - tragically - back to the LPGS...

Just wondering if anyone else tried it and/or if I just had a dodgy bottle. It was, literally, the worst thing I've ever had to drink on a plane! ;-)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by onobond
Not even thinking of disputing the taste reference of H.E. The Ambassador, but must confess I'm slightly worried about how the experience was acquired.
I would hope from loving a few bottles of this (random link: http://www.winealign.com/wines/13192...non-Blanc-2008).

As for all this talk of champagne, I am gasping for some right now. Belle Epoque would do me just nicely, i have a soft spot for the perrier-jouet wines.

Also, do BA proof read their wine lists? Nothing drives me battier than menus with obvious spelling errors, food or drink. Joshep what now? Anyway, pleased to see Foppiano on there, I think I had a nice swally there a few years back, lovely wee place.

Last edited by jcm9000; Sep 8, 2016 at 6:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.