Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:34 am

quick question If i redeem a flight from LHR-CDG with avios does it comes with 1 check bag? With OWE i get an extra 1 bag(which I don't need) correct?

Or is it no baggage fare?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jkuok
quick question If i redeem a flight from LHR-CDG with avios does it comes with 1 check bag? With OWE i get an extra 1 bag(which I don't need) correct?

Or is it no baggage fare?
it is not an HBO fare. It will come with the normal baggage allowance you have for that cabin, so ET or CE whatever you book.

There is a giude here to tell you exactly what you can check http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...age-guide.html
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
it is not an HBO fare. It will come with the normal baggage allowance you have for that cabin, so ET or CE whatever you book.

There is a giude here to tell you exactly what you can check http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...age-guide.html
thanks KARFA
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:41 am

trying to research on 2017 summer trip, from Lisbon (LIS) to Barcelona using Avios. site gives me option to do stopover but it only shows London and not any other cities. I was hoping to select Madrid as a stopover and book everything in a single ticket.

Any feedback?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
Might want to add that you can also use Avios to book what's referred to as "experiences", e.g. sightseeing tours, winery tours, museum tickets, restaurant meals, day trips and so on. This can offer a pretty good value in certain cases.

Last edited by OWBA; Jan 26, 2016 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Booked a 2H flight wit QF from Sydney using Avios, now the scheduled change to 1h earlier,

I do not want to take the flight anymore due to the very early schedule and found a better timing with Virgin.

Now the agent want to charge me 55 euros to cancel my booking since the change is less than 2h, should I insist or give it up and pay the 55€ fee?

Mind that the original fee for booking the ticket was 25€...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by pvgman
Booked a 2H flight wit QF from Sydney using Avios, now the scheduled change to 1h earlier,

I do not want to take the flight anymore due to the very early schedule and found a better timing with Virgin.

Now the agent want to charge me 55 euros to cancel my booking since the change is less than 2h, should I insist or give it up and pay the 55€ fee?

Mind that the original fee for booking the ticket was 25€...
The agent is correct, free cancellations are usually only allowed if teh schedule is changed by more than 2 hours.

If you cancel an avios booking and if you paid less than €55 in taxes fees and charges when you booked you will just lose that. You won't be asked to make up the difference to €55.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prospero
01 Additional Gold benefits

• Additional reward availability in economy (V class)
Does anyone know whether this is supposed to be available on Comair?

Rather inevitably, I'm trying to get on a flight which has U0 X0 but V9, yet ba.com says (to a Gold) that there is no award availability on that flight.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
trying to research on 2017 summer trip, from Lisbon (LIS) to Barcelona using Avios. site gives me option to do stopover but it only shows London and not any other cities. I was hoping to select Madrid as a stopover and book everything in a single ticket.

Any feedback?
I just tried a random date on BA.com (March 17th 2016) and I got avios availability with Iberia. Stopover at Madrid as you requested. 9000 avios plus £21 tax.

LIS depart 6:55 arrive MAD 9:15

MAD depart 12:45 arrive BCN 14:00

Plenty of other Iberia choices that day too, the flights are frequent.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Does anyone know whether this is supposed to be available on Comair?

Rather inevitably, I'm trying to get on a flight which has U0 X0 but V9, yet ba.com says (to a Gold) that there is no award availability on that flight.
Yes, it is available on Comair and other BA franchise airlines. Sounds like BA.com is struggling to open up v-class but it should be bookable offline.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:13 pm

Can you combine upgrade with Avios and use of a companion voucher?

I'm wondering if it's possible to book 1 x WT+ seat with cash, upgrade using Avios to CW, and get a second CW seat with the companion voucher?

If so, is this also dependent on reward flight availability? Naturally, there is almost nothing available to anywhere I might want to go, despite having an entire three month window in mind.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by AuntieMabel
Can you combine upgrade with Avios and use of a companion voucher?

I'm wondering if it's possible to book 1 x WT+ seat with cash, upgrade using Avios to CW, and get a second CW seat with the companion voucher?

If so, is this also dependent on reward flight availability? Naturally, there is almost nothing available to anywhere I might want to go, despite having an entire three month window in mind.
No you can't combine upgrade with avios and a companion voucher. A UuA needs to be applied to a cash ticket, and companion vouchers are for reward tickets only.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:13 pm

Ahh thanks. My companion voucher expires in November and there's almost no CW or F availability left. How frequently do things come up as last minute, and how long in advance does that happen? We're totally flexible on dates. I'm a gold card holder, if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:27 pm

I'm trying to book a BA Avios award on AA metal for 2 passengers, but having a hard time finding 2 award seats even when searching segments one at a time. There are plenty of awards for 1 passenger, however. Are AA partner awards the type of awards that are released one seat at a time? So if I book one seat, there's a chance another seat will open up right after I book it?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by goldencondor
I just tried a random date on BA.com (March 17th 2016) and I got avios availability with Iberia. Stopover at Madrid as you requested. 9000 avios plus £21 tax.

LIS depart 6:55 arrive MAD 9:15

MAD depart 12:45 arrive BCN 14:00

Plenty of other Iberia choices that day too, the flights are frequent.
thanks for the searching, but I was looking to do 4-5 of days layover/stopover in MAD before reaching the final destination Barcelona. When booking through BA/Avios, there is an option to select longer stopover/layover but the only city available in the dropdown is LHR.

Hope this is clear,and sorry for the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.