Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interesting. So they are saying because LHR-HKG would be a different zone pricing than TXL-HKG you can't do it?

I would have suggested there is no change in destination and the longhaul flight remains exactly the same. LHR-HKG is down on BA as 5979 miles. There is a zone break at 5500 miles but as there is no TXL-HKG route there is no mileage on BA for it. gcmap says it would be 5440 miles though.

Now I am beginning to doubt my own advice here. Previously adding a UK domestic flight to an existing flight would be ok but that would be within the same zone.
I'll try contact HK hotline tomorrow. See if I use my mother language (Cantonese) can negotiate something...

If that still fail, I will take earlier flight; and I hope I don't need to use the travel insurance...

EDIT (7 Nov): Maybe BA is right. I can't change to TXL due to distance band, whic has discussed a couple of times here. Now I decided to leave from Hamburg, ~5550 miles direct from HK (phew).
The lady in HK hotline seem to have no idea on such rules, and want to refuse changing; she finally agree with me when I mention the rule and the fact that HAM is in the same band zone.
Avios deducted, fees paid. Now waiting for some tax to return. And I have one more cities to visit!!!!

Last edited by marcolau317; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Hello - I would appreciate some input on some logistics on an upcoming trip from some T3-T5 transfer experts:

Arriving into T3 on AA on one PNR, flying out of T5 on BA on another PNR 2.5 hours later (hopefully more than enough time unless IRROPS). Usually I would stay airside, get the transfer bus and reclear security etc in T5. However this time I'm meeting my Mum in LHR and we're flying off together (same PNR). So the other alternative is that I can clear immigration and exit T3, my Dad will pick me up, then drive us both to T5 and we can go through the First security wing there.

The questions I have are:
- which option will be the quickest?
- which option holds the least 'risk' in terms of conformance if my incoming flight gets delayed?
- and lastly (although I know it's not a 'transfer' question specifically) what happens if my incoming flight is delayed a significant amount? As they're on separate PNRs with separate carriers, I understand I'll have no 'protection' - will I have to buy a new ticket for the next flight at whatever the walk up fare is? Should I instruct my Mum to go on ahead and I'll meet her in ARN on the next flight? Will it affect her ticket on the same PNR? (It's a one way ticket because I'm starting a MR in ARN, so she has a one way back later)?

Any info or data points are greatly welcomed! Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
- which option will be the quickest?
the transfer bus
- which option holds the least 'risk' in terms of conformance if my incoming flight gets delayed?
since the transfer bus would be quicker I would say the transfer bus. I will take you a while to get to wherever your dad has parked, you then have to navigate your way around the central area of Heathrow to the tunnel under the north runway. just getting there will no doubt take as long as it would take to get to T5 transfer area and conformance on the transfer bus

- and lastly (although I know it's not a 'transfer' question specifically) what happens if my incoming flight is delayed a significant amount? As they're on separate PNRs with separate carriers, I understand I'll have no 'protection' - will I have to buy a new ticket for the next flight at whatever the walk up fare is? Should I instruct my Mum to go on ahead and I'll meet her in ARN on the next flight? Will it affect her ticket on the same PNR? (It's a one way ticket because I'm starting a MR in ARN, so she has a one way back later)?
Possibly depends on how flexible your ticket to ARN is. Potentially yes you could have to pay a walk up fare on the day.
BigEyedFish likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to agree with scottishpoet's responses. Your mother's ticket is OK if she makes it and you do not. But it's another reason for going via the bus transfer since if you fail conformance the Connections desk there may be (slightly) more charitable if it was due to AA being horribly late, and for example just charge the change fee on the original ticket. Obviously you can't take that for granted, and you may indeed be charged the walk up fare for the outbound and lose any return sector altogether (which doesn't apply here), at the other extreme. Cancelling the return sector is now open to legal challenge (see the CRA thread in the Dashboard).

In the circumstances it is probably best to agree to meet somewhere airside in T5 (e.g. Pilots, Itsu). If you get AA's wifi on the way back you can perhaps change that to landside once you've done the calculations and worked out that you are on time or early in terms of arrival, and thereby agree to meet landside (e.g. Carluccio). In which case, assuming you are HBO, you best go on the transfer bus and exit the UK Border there.
BigEyedFish likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Thank you ScottishPoet and C-W-S

since the transfer bus would be quicker I would say the transfer bus. I will take you a while to get to wherever your dad has parked, you then have to navigate your way around the central area of Heathrow to the tunnel under the north runway. just getting there will no doubt take as long as it would take to get to T5 transfer area and conformance on the transfer bus
Yes - it's normally pretty quick to exit T3 (apart from the long long walk!) and pop outside to the 'dropoff/pickup area, but I was a little concerned about how long it might take to get from T3-T5 via car. For some reason, I never seem to have good luck when transferring at LHR in terms of the wait times for both the buses and also the security.... so I was thinking that it would be quicker to go via the First Wing security. Or at least more pleasant.

In the circumstances it is probably best to agree to meet somewhere airside in T5 (e.g. Pilots, Itsu). If you get AA's wifi on the way back you can perhaps change that to landside once you've done the calculations and worked out that you are on time or early in terms of arrival, and thereby agree to meet landside (e.g. Carluccio). In which case, assuming you are HBO, you best go on the transfer bus and exit the UK Border there.
Good point about the wifi on the plane - I entirely forgot about that. I was thinking that we should set up some cutoffs - e.g. if I land before 1.30pm then pick me up, if after then I'll meet you there. But real time communication would be better! Are you saying that if I wanted to go landside it'll be better to do that in T5 and let LHR transport move me from T3-T5 then clear immigration there? How easy is it to clear and get to First Wing from there? I usually enter via T3 and know my way around that pretty well, but not too sure about T5.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
Are you saying that if I wanted to go landside it'll be better to do that in T5 and let LHR transport move me from T3-T5 then clear immigration there? How easy is it to clear and get to First Wing from there?
If you are a Gold / Emerald cardholder with e-gate access and HBO (or through checked with luggage) then normally this is the fastest way to connect at T5 anyway, until about 16:00 hrs. So yes, simply take the bus to T5 as if staying airside, but once you arrive in T5 exit via the UK Border e-gates out to landside, best to take the right side escalator after passport control. Then take the burnt orange lift to Departures, then go rightwards to the First Wing. After you have done it once, you'll probably never bother with Flight Connections again.

If you look at a map of T5 it's pretty much a straight line to Flounge via the First Wing, as going via Flight Connections security, and shorter if using Fast Track Security since that goes via North.
BigEyedFish likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are a Gold / Emerald cardholder with e-gate access and HBO (or through checked with luggage) then normally this is the fastest way to connect at T5 anyway, until about 16:00 hrs. So yes, simply take the bus to T5 as if staying airside, but once you arrive in T5 exit via the UK Border e-gates out to landside, best to take the right side escalator after passport control. Then take the burnt orange lift to Departures, then go rightwards to the First Wing. After you have done it once, you'll probably never bother with Flight Connections again.

If you look at a map of T5 it's pretty much a straight line to Flounge via the First Wing, as going via Flight Connections security, and shorter if using Fast Track Security since that goes via North.
Yes, I'm OWE, so that sounds perfect. Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:38 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Arriving into T5 at 06:55hrs from DME. Have a 3hr 45min transit before my flight to GLA. Want to use some of this time to go to T3 to get my payment card verified before a CX flight two days later from AMS. CX at LHR should be able to do this so was wondering if it’s best to land myself at T3 or go landslide at T5 and take the HEX?

Any preferences or advice?

Thanks in advance.

S
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Arriving into T5 at 06:55hrs from DME. Have a 3hr 45min transit before my flight to GLA. Want to use some of this time to go to T3 to get my payment card verified before a CX flight two days later from AMS. CX at LHR should be able to do this so was wondering if its best to land myself at T3 or go landslide at T5 and take the HEX?

Any preferences or advice?

Thanks in advance.

S
I think the airside option would undoubtedly get you to T3 quicker, the buses are much more frequent than HEX and if arriving at C or B you could get the airside bus from B rather than going all the way to A. The bit I am unsure of is whether T3 immigration would be slower than T5 - hopefully someone else ca advise.l
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I think the airside option would undoubtedly get you to T3 quicker, the buses are much more frequent than HEX and if arriving at C or B you could get the airside bus from B rather than going all the way to A. The bit I am unsure of is whether T3 immigration would be slower than T5 - hopefully someone else ca advise.l
Thanks KARFA

From memory, the DME flights have arrived at C gates (but know its not set in stone). Good pointer about the bus frequency compared with the HEX. Hopefully someone with experience of T3 immigration at that time in the morning can advise.

Cheers

S
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:17 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked to death at this point, but I just want to clarify before I go.

I am a QR Gold, OW Sapphire flying DUB - LHR - RUH, can I go through fast track security at LHR?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jah718
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked to death at this point, but I just want to clarify before I go.

I am a QR Gold, OW Sapphire flying DUB - LHR - RUH, can I go through fast track security at LHR?

Thanks!
Hi. As a OWS you would be allowed to use fast track when you get to T5. As you are arriving from DUB and connecting on you can either go landside (there is no passport control arriving from DUB) and then back in via north or south fast track security, or instead follow the signs for connections and use the fast track lane for international connections at the far end of the connections center - once past the bp check go up the escalators marked for fast track.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:29 am

Smile

Hi. As a OWS you would be allowed to use fast track when you get to T5. As you are arriving from DUB and connecting on you can either go landside (there is no passport control arriving from DUB) and then back in via north or south fast track security, or instead follow the signs for connections and use the fast track lane for international connections at the far end of the connections center - once past the bp check go up the escalators marked for fast track.
Thank you so much for the clarification KARFA!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I would really appreciate some guidance on the following question regarding an upcoming LHR T5 transfer. I have an ex-DUB trip to the US coming up, specifically DUB-LHR-DFW, all on BA metal connecting through T5 in J, with a ~2hr stopover in LHR. My question is as follows: do we need to clear UK immigration at any point? There is a possibly my American wife's new visa will not have arrived physically (although is already approved), and I had assumed when booking this wouldn't be a problem as just connecting through LHR shouldn't require entry into the UK. However, I'm now worried as I read in this helpful guide that "arrivals from DUB do not require passport control at LHR" - which suggests you would need to have the right to enter the UK before you got on the plane at DUB, even if you are simply connecting straight through.
Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Jamieharvey
I would really appreciate some guidance on the following question regarding an upcoming LHR T5 transfer. I have an ex-DUB trip to the US coming up, specifically DUB-LHR-DFW, all on BA metal connecting through T5 in J, with a ~2hr stopover in LHR. My question is as follows: do we need to clear UK immigration at any point? There is a possibly my American wife's new visa will not have arrived physically (although is already approved), and I had assumed when booking this wouldn't be a problem as just connecting through LHR shouldn't require entry into the UK. However, I'm now worried as I read in this helpful guide that "arrivals from DUB do not require passport control at LHR" - which suggests you would need to have the right to enter the UK before you got on the plane at DUB, even if you are simply connecting straight through.
Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.
You have already cleared UK passports since the UK and Ireland are in a Common Travel Area. You will need proper documentation for arrival in the USA, and that will be checked by BA's staff but there isn't a passport control point (and there never has been). Personally, if I were you I would go landside, follow the signs to baggage reclaim, up to the departures level and then off to the First Wing. If you weren't BA Gold/ Emerald - well ideally Fast Track North, but if not Fast Track South which is probably nearer. You can also go airside via Flight Connections, and you must do this if your connection falls below 1 hour, but I wouldn't bother subjecting yourself to that unnecessarily. In both cases there is a security check point, Fast Track is simply better than Flight Connections, the First Wing much better than both.

[For the benefit of uber accuracy, there are some nationals that strictly speaking require visas to the UK to do this such as certain Palestinian Authority passports, but no one seems much bothered]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.