Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Yes, same set up as fast track North.

I wasn't sure how long this new arrangement was as I've been on KLM for the last few weeks. When connecting I normally go landside but only had 60 minutes tonight.
In which case, if the boarding pass fails at that gate is there a BA staff member there? Previously this was HAL operated. Otherwise if passports takes too long - beyond conformance - there is no easy reversal. Unless, that is, there is still a BA staff member at the first boarding pass scan point before passport.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case, if the boarding pass fails at that gate is there a BA staff member there? Previously this was HAL operated. Otherwise if passports takes too long - beyond conformance - there is no easy reversal. Unless, that is, there is still a BA staff member at the first boarding pass scan point before passport.
Passport desks are before the automatic boarding pass gates.

There was a lady in purple manning the gates (HAL?) and then the normal desk and gate to the side which was manned for people with pass issues and children. I didn't get a good look but I think this is also HAL.

So I'm not sure what the process would be if there was a problem and you've already crossed the border.

My main concern is the conformance check now appears to be later in the process which could cause problems as the passport queues can take some time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Yes, same set up as fast track North.

I wasn't sure how long this new arrangement was as I've been on KLM for the last few weeks. When connecting I normally go landside but only had 60 minutes tonight.
I think it is very recent, as in the last few days. I'll have a look myself on Monday, am passing through FCC twice that day.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:35 am

Thanks KARFA for the works you have done.

Later this year we are arriving on a domestic - international connection with BA, but returning on Virgin (terminal 3) and need to get to. T5 for our inward domestic flight we've almost 3 hours to complete the transfer but the guides should assist outbound and return. Thank you
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the connection process for T5 domestic to T3 has not changed, off the plane, follow the sign for the connections buses. As you mix with passengers off international flights you do have to clear security at T3
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

As reported by DaveNCL the layout and process for a INT-DOM connection has changed in the FCC. The new layout is as follows (sorry for the rough diagram, I will update the posts at the start of the thread in due course):

So now there are no desks with BA agents and you are straight in to the queue for immigration. Once passed that you have a bank of 4/5 automatic gates which you scan your bp at (for conformance) and do biometrics - they are identical to the gates at the first wing. Past that you are either up to north or south security.

As conformance now happens after immigration it is difficult to know what to advise if you are running close to the limit. Also it is not clear what you do if you fail conformance at the gates since there are no BA agents at that point to help.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
As reported by DaveNCL the layout and process for a INT-DOM connection has changed in the FCC. The new layout is as follows (sorry for the rough diagram, I will update the posts at the start of the thread in due course):

So now there are no desks with BA agents and you are straight in to the queue for immigration. Once passed that you have a bank of 4/5 automatic gates which you scan your bp at (for conformance) and do biometrics - they are identical to the gates at the first wing. Past that you are either up to north or south security.

As conformance now happens after immigration it is difficult to know what to advise if you are running close to the limit. Also it is not clear what you do if you fail conformance at the gates since there are no BA agents at that point to help.
Thanks, that's really helpful I'll refer back to this post to remind me nearer to our return date.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:03 am

We will be arriving on a Sunday morning on BA flight 174 from JFK @ 7:10am and connecting to BA flight 548 @8:30am to FCO in CW/CE. Is 80 minutes enough time to connect? Flights are already booked so we can't change them at this point. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Old May 6, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by tmr10001
We will be arriving on a Sunday morning on BA flight 174 from JFK @ 7:10am and connecting to BA flight 548 @8:30am to FCO in CW/CE. Is 80 minutes enough time to connect? Flights are already booked so we can't change them at this point. Any guidance would be appreciated!
If it's on the same ticket, you'll be fine.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmr10001
Apologies for not replying sooner. Yes you should be fine. Follow the direction for INT-INT connections and you will be fine. Remember that you can do flight connections at the satellite buildings if arriving and departing from them. All in the posts at the start of the thread.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Hello--

I'm considering booking a mileage run that would only give me 1:05 to connect at LHR, I assume T5:

BA 0192: DFW-LHR, arrives 09:10
BA 0143: LHR-DEL, departs 10:25

It looks like the BA website will sell it to me, but how practical is that connection?

I have connected at LHR T5 in the past. After exiting the aircraft, we had to go downstairs, then take a train to the main terminal, clear security, then make our way back to the gates.

I'd assume they begin boarding at least 30-45 min prior to 10:25, so I'd really have to move quickly. Does BA have anyone to help with tight connections like this? I'd be in WT+/PE for both legs.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
from9:10 to 10:25 you have an hour and 15 minutes to make the connection

that is enough time

You may even find your flights will arrive depart form the B or C satellite and you will not need to take the train

BA do not often help people, and if your inbound flight is on time , 1 hour and 15 minutes is not considered tight so you will not get help. If your inbound is 30 minutes late there is a small possibility you may get help
Old May 25, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Just to further emphasise scottishpoet's point, I suspect you will arrive at a B/C gate and depart from a B/C gate. Have a look at the information at the start of the thread about connecting within T5B and T5C - you will save a lot of time compared to heading to T5A and then heading back to B or C.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks for the quick replies! I must have spaced out when figuring the difference between the flights.

And thinking back to my last trips through LHR, I think they only announced the gates maybe an hour or so before departure. I remember asking at the lounge, and they told me not to worry.

Still mulling over if I'll do the trip (would be my first trip to India), but nice to know it won't be too tough if I do go forward with it. At least on the way back I'd fly DEL-LHR-AUS, saving a stop.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for the quick replies! I must have spaced out when figuring the difference between the flights.

And thinking back to my last trips through LHR, I think they only announced the gates maybe an hour or so before departure. I remember asking at the lounge, and they told me not to worry.

Still mulling over if I'll do the trip (would be my first trip to India), but nice to know it won't be too tough if I do go forward with it. At least on the way back I'd fly DEL-LHR-AUS, saving a stop.
The lounge agents can usually see an indicated gate more than an hour before. They may be reluctant to tell passengers in case it changes, but if you ask whether there is an indicated gate but acknowledge it may change then they will usually tell you.

The gate is confirmed and shown on the information screens around 1 hour before. Sometimes you may get an indication much earlier to A, B or C gates but not specifying which one, e.g. will go from C gates.

When you get off the flight there are large information screens after the airbridge in the corridor on the way to the transit system, have a check of them and see whether your gate for DEL is listed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.