Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 22, 7:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 31, 22, 3:23 am
  #661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 16,549
Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
Thanks TBS
That's what I thought
It's just that my son mentioned it earlier today and got me wondering..... ,🤔
especially with people posting on here that it was often quicker to go landside, then back through fast track security there, rather than just flight connections

Cheers 👍
Hi,

That will be for the return leg ie any intl destination- LHR- GLA ( or any domestic destination) where you would have to go through immigration at the UK domestic flight connections area, then security .

Regards

TBS
crazyarmadillo and KARFA like this.
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Jul 31, 22, 3:28 am
  #662  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,865
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

That will be for the return leg ie any intl destination- LHR- GLA ( or any domestic destination) where you would have to go through immigration at the UK domestic flight connections area, then security .

Regards

TBS
yes. And just to add there are some details of STEB bags in one of the reference posts at the start of the thread which allow you to purchase duty free from your departure point and take it through transit security in LHR.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:04 am
  #663  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 14,025
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I'll have a 1h40min T5-T5 (US-EU) connection... Couldn't book the longer one through IAP, sadly. Should be doable, fingers crossed? My partner doesn't have an EU passport, which will sadly complicate things. Is BA good about automatically rebooking on the next flight should we miss the first one? There's another flight like 3hrs later, so worst case we just hang out at the lounge and shower (assuming there's a lounge with a shower at T5?)
well, completely predictably, a schedule change has messed this up for the better and created an impossible connection, so I'll call in and ask to change the intra-EU leg. I can choose between either:

1hr40min or3hrs

I think I'll just pick the 3hr connection to play it safe. Is the Christmas schedule now likely set in stone or should I hold off on rescheduling in case there's further changes? I'm particularly worried about equipment swaps away from CS, where it might be better I hold off on the free rescheduling until later while I can still reschedule for free, as opposed to rescheduling now and then getting equipment swapped and.unable to respond.
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:25 am
  #664  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,663
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I think I'll just pick the 3hr connection to play it safe. Is the Christmas schedule now likely set in stone or should I hold off on rescheduling in case there's further changes? I'm particularly worried about equipment swaps away from CS, where it might be better I hold off on the free rescheduling until later while I can still reschedule for free, as opposed to rescheduling now and then getting equipment swapped and.unable to respond.
Equipment changes are a fact of life anyway, but in the current climate there could be further changes. Cancellations are generally made with 2 weeks or more notice, but that's not guaranteed either. Generally it's best to do nothing to maintain flexibility, so long as your cabin doesn't fill up in the mean time. 1h 40 minutes for LHR T5 is usually considered a good connection time.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:32 am
  #665  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 14,025
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Equipment changes are a fact of life anyway, but in the current climate there could be further changes. Cancellations are generally made with 2 weeks or more notice, but that's not guaranteed either. Generally it's best to do nothing to maintain flexibility, so long as your cabin doesn't fill up in the mean time. 1h 40 minutes for LHR T5 is usually considered a good connection time.
I'll hold off, then. There's another flight another 90mins later or so, I don't think all 3 flights are likely to fill up, so I'm not too concerned. I'll call in at some point in late November to finalize or so, thanks!
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:02 pm
  #666  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 295
After reading the guidance above, I have a question. I am a US passport holder flying SEA-LHR-AMS in CW/CE with a 4+ hour layover. I assume the option to go landside is probably not a good one since we can not use the E-Gates correct? If our SEA-LHR flight comes into T5 B or C, can I use the B or C transfer security portal even though our flight is not yet listed? If yes, then I assume I can then backtrack to A to go to Galleries First. (OW Emerald) Thanks for the help.
Klrduks is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:15 pm
  #667  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 16,549
[QUOTE=Klrduks;34496696]After reading the guidance above, I have a question. I am a US passport holder flying SEA-LHR-AMS in CW/CE with a 4+ hour layover. I assume the option to go landside is probably not a good one since we can not use the E-Gates correct? If our SEA-LHR flight comes into T5 B or C, can I use the B or C transfer security portal even though our flight is not yet listed? If yes, then I assume I can then backtrack to A to go to Galleries First. (OW Emerald) Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE

Hi actually you can use the egates if you are a US passport holder

Regards

Tbs
Klrduks likes this.
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:37 pm
  #668  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,512
Originally Posted by Klrduks View Post
After reading the guidance above, I have a question. I am a US passport holder flying SEA-LHR-AMS in CW/CE with a 4+ hour layover. I assume the option to go landside is probably not a good one since we can not use the E-Gates correct? If our SEA-LHR flight comes into T5 B or C, can I use the B or C transfer security portal even though our flight is not yet listed? If yes, then I assume I can then backtrack to A to go to Galleries First. (OW Emerald) Thanks for the help.
If you are a US passport holder you can usually use the egates.

You can only use B transit security if your flight is leaving from B or C

If they let you through (which i fear is unlikely) then yes you can walk back to A to use the first lounge once in the departure areas.
The _Banking_Scot and Klrduks like this.
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Aug 15, 22, 11:01 pm
  #669  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Posts: 335
I need some guidance on the risk of misconnecting. I currently have a 1 hour layover later this month for LAX-LHR-TLV (cash). I just flew LAX-LHR-AMS and BA280 arrived at LHR at a bus gate. There was no fast track security, which was fine since I connected with 85 minutes and had some time to spare. I normally would be ok with the 1 hour layover but given this last trip, I am now worried. Would BA allow me to switch to BA 280 from BA 268 at no cost? Am US passport and GC holder if it helps with figuring out options for me.

Thanks
hsumh316 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 22, 11:11 pm
  #670  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Posts: 2,854
Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
I need some guidance on the risk of misconnecting. I currently have a 1 hour layover later this month for LAX-LHR-TLV (cash). I just flew LAX-LHR-AMS and BA280 arrived at LHR at a bus gate. There was no fast track security, which was fine since I connected with 85 minutes and had some time to spare. I normally would be ok with the 1 hour layover but given this last trip, I am now worried. Would BA allow me to switch to BA 280 from BA 268 at no cost? Am US passport and GC holder if it helps with figuring out options for me.

Thanks
BA would not be likely to rebook you for free, since the minimum connection time for connecting international flights in T5 is one hour.
steveholt is offline  
Old Aug 16, 22, 9:10 am
  #671  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
BA would not be likely to rebook you for free, since the minimum connection time for connecting international flights in T5 is one hour.
With the next BA flight to TLV being the next day, a few questions: 1) will BA put me on a different airline to TLV and 2) for any minor delay(non-extraordinary) and I miss my connecting flight and am rebooked on the next day's flight, will I receive compensation? and 3)at what point will i be rebooked?

Thanks!
hsumh316 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 22, 9:20 am
  #672  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,663
Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
With the next BA flight to TLV being the next day, a few questions: 1) will BA put me on a different airline to TLV and 2) for any minor delay(non-extraordinary) and I miss my connecting flight and am rebooked on the next day's flight, will I receive compensation? and 3)at what point will i be rebooked?
Yes, BA wil rebook you to either the next day (probably the default) or to a same day service on El Al / Lufthansa if necessary. You may be in the frame for EC261 compensation, depending on the cause, though note that with short connections the risk of (e.g.) bad weather causing the irrop is that much higher and there is no compensation for that. For the final point, the usual time you will find out about rebooking is on the BA app when about an hour from landing, so use the wifi to check that, or check on landing. But if it's a complex ticket or not owned by BA, then you get rebooked at Flight Connections, there is a service desk on the right side of the hall. The self service machines are also available, but I've not yet had conclusive proof that they do anything that the App doesn't do.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 16, 22, 9:21 am
  #673  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WAW ✈ LHR
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 2,346
Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
With the next BA flight to TLV being the next day, a few questions: 1) will BA put me on a different airline to TLV and 2) for any minor delay(non-extraordinary) and I miss my connecting flight and am rebooked on the next day's flight, will I receive compensation? and 3)at what point will i be rebooked?

Thanks!
1) they will rebook you
2) depends on a reason for a delay - e.g. clogged airport security is beyond airport's control
3) if your delay is significant - automatically before you get to London; if you miss conformance at Heathrow - by a staff member at the flight connections
hsumh316 likes this.
megaloman is offline  
Old Aug 16, 22, 10:10 am
  #674  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, BA wil rebook you to either the next day (probably the default) or to a same day service on El Al / Lufthansa if necessary. You may be in the frame for EC261 compensation, depending on the cause, though note that with short connections the risk of (e.g.) bad weather causing the irrop is that much higher and there is no compensation for that. For the final point, the usual time you will find out about rebooking is on the BA app when about an hour from landing, so use the wifi to check that, or check on landing. But if it's a complex ticket or not owned by BA, then you get rebooked at Flight Connections, there is a service desk on the right side of the hall. The self service machines are also available, but I've not yet had conclusive proof that they do anything that the App doesn't do.
Ok, so high chance of delay being extraordinary. It is not a complex ticket simple return ticket and is owned by BA. If fast track is closed, flight connections is still the best option given the short layover, I assume the landside connection isn't recommended?
hsumh316 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 22, 11:53 am
  #675  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,663
Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
Ok, so high chance of delay being extraordinary. It is not a complex ticket simple return ticket and is owned by BA. If fast track is closed, flight connections is still the best option given the short layover, I assume the landside connection isn't recommended?
Going landside probably would be faster, but the point is that once you are under an hour you best stay airside. I recognise that sounds daft but you are better placed to have irrops airside than landside. Flight Connections is before Fast Track so either you get through the barrier to security (and probably make the flight) or not, and if not you go to Flight Connections. In the last few weeks almost no-one has missed their flight at Flight Connections, with or without Fast Track (which in any case makes very little difference). In theory this scenario won't play out in that if you are going to miss conformance the app will rebook you anyway.
hsumh316 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread