Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:40 am

In terms of T5 to T5 connections, are we now more or less back to the pre-covid days in terms of choosing between e-gates, border and First Wing landside transit on the one hand vs airside security and flight connections on the other? So if e-gates look relatively clear, go that way?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by prof
In terms of T5 to T5 connections, are we now more or less back to the pre-covid days in terms of choosing between e-gates, border and First Wing landside transit on the one hand vs airside security and flight connections on the other? So if e-gates look relatively clear, go that way?
hi
for first wing
Probably in terms of intl to intl transfers or int to dom or roi transits.
dom to intl transits is just a bp check
Roi transits probably walk through customs and then first wing
Regards

Tbs
prof and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Anyone been through a T5 to T5 intl connection lately? Have the 11 year old with me so no chance to use egates as its 12+ for that. This is for a Tuesday mid day

Is Fast Track in T5 connections even open

Last edited by NickP 1K; May 12, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Fast Track was open when I passed through around 13:00 on 10/5, but not around 15:00 on 11/5. No line to go through the "regular" gates either time.

LcS
Old May 12, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Fast Track was open when I passed through around 13:00 on 10/5, but not around 15:00 on 11/5. No line to go through the "regular" gates either time.

LcS
Thx for the prompt update!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Apologies, in a bit of a hurry. We have a 60 min ish connection, INT-INT, from 5C to 5A. We are flying in from BOS in F and connecting to a J flight to BRU. I’m assuming, based on reading the wiki, that connecting airside is our best bet. Is it best to take the train from 5C to 5A or go down to -4 and walk the tunnel? We are both young and fit, so can walk quickly. Thanks!
Old May 13, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Due to the short connection I would stay airside and unless there are issues with the train take it.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Definitely stay airside. Even with Fasttrack closed when we went through yesterday, it only took about 10 minutes to get through security. UK border was backed up into the hallway though.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Thanks everyone for the advice! Made it just before boarding closed, after classic T5 go slow security. I’m sure when I rebooked these flights, this was the only flight available - I won’t be in a hurry to connect that quickly again.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:50 am

Would appreciate some advice. I’m arriving into LHR T3 in November from HEL with AY. I then fly onwards from LHR T5 to NCL with BA. It’s all on the same PNR but I won’t have checked baggage. The connection time is four hours, so no rush. However, recently I’ve found that flight connections is barely tolerable, with fast track security closed and conventional security very slow and full of incompetents. So I was thinking that I could cross the border at T3, get the underground to T5 and then enter T5 via First Wing security (I am BA Gold). Would this likely be more pleasant and/or speedy, assuming fast track remains closed in flight connections?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So personally I would get the airside bus to T5, then look to go landside there and back through TFW. If immigration at T5 looks pretty bad I might then head to connections instead.

You could do the version you suggest as well. Connections and immigration in T3 are not next to each other though, so if you get to immigration and it looks bad you would need to back track quite a bit to go to connections.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
So personally I would get the airside bus to T5, then look to go landside there and back through TFW. If immigration at T5 looks pretty bad I might then head to connections instead.

You could do the version you suggest as well. Connections and immigration in T3 are not next to each other though, so if you get to immigration and it looks bad you would need to back track quite a bit to go to connections.
Thank you very much. Sorry, I missed your response to this initially - thank you for the advice which I do really appreciate.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I'm doing a IAD-LHR-DUB return in August. Nothing interesting on the outbound, but on the return I'm meeting a family member visiting us, transiting from GCI-LGW LHR-IAD on the same LHR-IAD flight as me.
In the past, I've followed the DUB->INT directions in this thread, and gone straight to landside and used First Wing security. My plan was to meet up outside the FW and guest her in.
Apparently there's some posts that say that using the DUB arrivals landside route is not allowed for folks not holding UK passports (like me!).
I've taken this route several times, never any issues with it previously, but I'm now worried that I'm risking some kind of issue here. Can I get some guidance as to whether or not this is acceptable?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gormless
Apparently there's some posts that say that using the DUB arrivals landside route is not allowed for folks not holding UK passports (like me!).
I've taken this route several times, never any issues with it previously, but I'm now worried that I'm risking some kind of issue here. Can I get some guidance as to whether or not this is acceptable?
No, it's not an issue. For DUB-LHR-IAD on presumably a USA passport then you are fine to go landside. Other passports / visas are more problematic in this space, it's to do with some of the niche aspects of the Common Travel Area, but assuming you have a USA passport and no visa then you are fine.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by KARFA

Any issues with doing this on an INTL-INTL connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.