FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:16 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by KARFA
If I was tight on time and running up against conformance (35 minutes before the flight) I would head to the flight connections as you can get to a bp check point quicker than going landside.

Other than that, yes going landside would be my preference here. I would suggest use the fast track at north security as that is usually quieter than south fast track.
Thanks. I should have 2 Hours and 10 Minutes scheduled transfer time, should be fine.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
A quick question about connecting when coming from Europe; if one has purchased cosmetics at the airport in Europe in the duty free zone, will these be sealed in the large clear bag so that it is possible to connect onto another flight at LHR T5?

Specifically this will be CPH-LHR-SIN.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
A quick question about connecting when coming from Europe; if one has purchased cosmetics at the airport in Europe in the duty free zone, will these be sealed in the large clear bag so that it is possible to connect onto another flight at LHR T5?
You may need to ask for it to be done, but if it is done and done properly then you should be able to connect at LHR with the liquids.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
The cargo tunnel which is an airside tunnel connecting the central terminal area and T4/cargo is currently closed for refurbishment. This tunnel is used by the airside buses which go to/from T4 to T2/3/5. I am afraid I can't find out when the work is going to be completed by, so if anyone knows that would be useful to know.

The impact to the closure is that the only airside buses running to/from T4 go to T2 - there are no direct airside buses from T4 to T5 or T3. The airside buses take a long and slow overground route now between T4 and T2 which goes around the eastern edge of the southerly runway. If you need to get between T5/3 and T4 you will need to get an airside bus to T2 and change.

Until the cargo tunnel reopens if you have a UK/EU/EEA passport I would strongly recommend taking one of the landside options if going between T5/3 and T4 - so TfL buses, tube, or HEX.
Can I just check if there is any update to this information and is the 2 bus system still in place? I will be travelling on 08 November and was planning to go airside from T5 to T4 but if this is really long winded would go landside. How long do you think each takes roughly?

cheers
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Can I just check if there is any update to this information and is the 2 bus system still in place? I will be travelling on 08 November and was planning to go airside from T5 to T4 but if this is really long winded would go landside. How long do you think each takes roughly?

cheers
It looks like the cargo tunnel is now open again so you can get a direct bus from T5 to T4 again.

Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also this seems interesting, it would appear you can now get the airside bus from T5C to T3 - previously you could only get it from T5B and T5A

EDIT: apparently a trial running until Christmas

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 31, 2019 at 4:33 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Excellent - thanks KARFA. Makes it much easier and quicker
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
I will be arriving in F from JFK to T5 and leaving for LIS from T3. I have a 7 hour layover. I know that I am not permitted to remain in T5 and use the CCR, as much as I would like to, because i am not permitted to re-enter T5.

Can anyone give me the reasoning for this? It certainly would be nice if there was a way around this since I have such a long connection time.

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tbrein
Can anyone give me the reasoning for this?
The general principle is that the only people allowed in the airside departures stream of any terminal are those who are departing from that terminal. So, in general, if you are departing from T3, the only airside departures stream to which you have access is the T3 airside departures stream.

There are some exceptions to this general principle, but "I want to use the CCR" is not one of them.
george77300 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:24 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Am flying JFK-LHR-FRA in a few weeks. Arriving on BA172 in F at 8:45AM and connecting onto 11:40am BA904 in CE.

Would it be more efficient to stay airside or exit immigration and go back through security? I have an e-gate eligible passport and last time I went through it was blazing fast, took just a few minutes to exit landside.

Also, if I'm arriving in F and go landside, am I allowed to use the First Wing security even though I'm connecting to a CE flight? I know I'm allowed to access the CCR but not sure about the First Wing.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mhy
Also, if I'm arriving in F and go landside, am I allowed to use the First Wing security even though I'm connecting to a CE flight? I know I'm allowed to access the CCR but not sure about the First Wing.
Yes you can use the First Wing.

As to whether it is more efficient to go landside and use the First Wing, then in my experience it is faster to do that, particularly at peak times for connecting services (which would probably apply here). There's no certainty about it, sometimes Flight Connections can be faster if its a quiet day, and you should certainly use Flight Connections if you are going below 50 minutes to your next service (they have more flexibility there on late arrivals). But my default is to go landside and then the First Wing.
KARFA and mhy like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:51 am
mhy

Great - thanks. I'll go landside and re-enter through the First Wing!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:50 am
mhy

Another quick one - am I able to use the First Wing / CCR if arriving in F to T5, but connecting on a separate ticket to a BA domestic economy flight to GLA also out of T5?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Yes.

LCS
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:45 am
mhy

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Yes.

LCS
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.