Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Excellent work and much appreciated.

One additional piece of info: Last year, corporate-wage-slave told me about the Heathrow app for smartphones. I downloaded it immediately and started testing it.

You can add your departing flight into the Heathrow app about 12 hours before departure and set a notification for the departure gate. Thus, when they announce a departure gate, your smartphone bings and you can start moving towards the gate. This beats sitting in the main departure lounge or BA lounge with eyes glued to the TV monitors. It's wise to keep an eye on the monitors, anyway, but the bing from the smartphone notification is another tool.

The Heathrow app has other interesting features, but the gate notification is the most useful to me. I found it in the iTunes app store by typing Heathrow in the search box. It is a light purple icon.

I invite clarification or correction as necessary. Please.
I used to use the Heathrow app for gate/status notifications but I noticed over the last 6 months or so it has become very unreliable. It may be an iOS version issue as I am on an old version on my iPhone 4. However, I have found the BA app does the same job and reliably so.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I used to use the Heathrow app for gate/status notifications but I noticed over the last 6 months or so it has become very unreliable. It may be an iOS version issue as I am on an old version on my iPhone 4. However, I have found the BA app does the same job and reliably so.
They came out with a "new improved" version on 12/21/2015. "Real Time Flight Information" is one of the advertised improvements. It requires iOS 7 or later.

I last went through Heathrow in November, so cannot vouch for this new version. However, the old version worked fine on my iPhone 5S and I got my notification about the same time the gate announcement appeared on the TV monitor.

I know nothing about the Android version.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Great job, KARFA. I love the FCC map! It's always just seemed like a maze of tensa barriers to me, without rhyme or reason. Your contributions to this board are quite exceptional.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
They came out with a "new improved" version on 12/21/2015. "Real Time Flight Information" is one of the advertised improvements. It requires iOS 7 or later.

I last went through Heathrow in November, so cannot vouch for this new version. However, the old version worked fine on my iPhone 5S and I got my notification about the same time the gate announcement appeared on the TV monitor.

I know nothing about the Android version.
Thanks. Have downloaded the new version and will give it another go.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

What a wonderful guide ^

So comprehensive and beautifully illustrated too. Thanks very much Karfa
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Fabulous! Thank you so much!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
A hugely informative piece of work. I for one really appreciate it. Will have this handy when I have a connection with a party of 19 in about 6 weeks.

Now if only you could mark on the quickest route to the lounges!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Great job, KARFA. I love the FCC map! It's always just seemed like a maze of tensa barriers to me, without rhyme or reason. Your contributions to this board are quite exceptional.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
What a wonderful guide ^

So comprehensive and beautifully illustrated too. Thanks very much Karfa
Originally Posted by mikebg
Fabulous! Thank you so much!
Originally Posted by madfish
A hugely informative piece of work. I for one really appreciate it. Will have this handy when I have a connection with a party of 19 in about 6 weeks.

Now if only you could mark on the quickest route to the lounges!
Thanks for the comments and glad you are all finding it useful. It has been on my list to finish it for over a year so I am glad it is done.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Some quick background to this. It started with this thread and the diagram I knocked up of the T5 FCC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uestion-2.html

I wanted to write this up in to a full guide but it has taken a while. I have usually done little bursts on writing it, then nothing for several months. Anyway, I decided that I would finally finish it off and have been working on it on my current trip to OGG where I am now. I find I can really work well and efficiently on a plane for some reason!
Even though half the fun of FT BAEC is to read and occasionally weigh in on first world problems - the real reason people originally find (and then link to) this site is invaluable and in-depth information as you have shared here.

Many, many thanks (and Happy New Year)

G.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Really excellent stuff, how good of you to put this together Karfa.^

I travel frequently out of T5, but have a DUB-T3 connection coming up later in 2016 which I haven't previously had to do, and I'd asked a question which is perfectly covered here now. I'm sure this will be helpful to so many people.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Wow. What a great thread. Thanks for the work, love the graphics! As a recent convert to ex-EU fares the DUB detail particularly valued.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprngli Connaisseur
Excellent thread! The graphics are very useful. Now I just have to figure out if I need to do anything special to navigate T3 next weekend.

One note though, that I didn't see here. There is a lift on the DUB arrivals route that will shave a good bit of time off if used instead of the escalator. I've learned in T5 to never take the escalator, and always use the lifts.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by greg5
One note though, that I didn't see here. There is a lift on the DUB arrivals route that will shave a good bit of time off if used instead of the escalator. I've learned in T5 to never take the escalator, and always use the lifts.
This presumably this is the lifts landside to take you from arrivals to departures? If exiting via baggage carousel 9, the Orange lift is in front of you and indeed the best way for South security. [If heading for North security you need to exit by baggage carousel 5]. You may need to push both buttons since the two lifts aren't connected for some reason. Not all lifts and not all escalators get you to the departure floor so it's worth knowing.

I wouldn't use the lift to go from the back of passports down to baggage reclaim, that is too short to be worth it.

EDIT: New FT function for adding photos! Click on the thumbnail for a fuller map of the exit route after the e-gates / UK Border / Dublin landside route:
Attached Images  

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 31, 2015 at 5:19 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Originally Posted by daftboy
Really excellent stuff, how good of you to put this together Karfa.^

I travel frequently out of T5, but have a DUB-T3 connection coming up later in 2016 which I haven't previously had to do, and I'd asked a question which is perfectly covered here now. I'm sure this will be helpful to so many people.
Yes, so remain airside and take the airside transfer bus to T3. Here is some information for when you get to T3:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25684353-post24.html

Unfortunately the CX lounge is closed until June for refurbishment.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This presumably this is the lifts landside to take you from arrivals to departures? If exiting via baggage carousel 9, the Orange lift is in front of you and indeed the best way for South security. [If heading for North security you need to exit by baggage carousel 5]. You may need to push both buttons since the two lifts aren't connected for some reason. Not all lifts and not all escalators get you to the departure floor so it's worth knowing.

I wouldn't use the lift to go from the back of passports down to baggage reclaim, that is too short to be worth it.

EDIT: New FT function for adding photos! Click on the thumbnail for a fuller map of the exit route after the e-gates / UK Border / Dublin landside route:
Thanks for this. I will add it in to the guide later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.