Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
I am travelling with family (including small children) and would like some input as to whether a 70 min window from arrival time to departure time is possible (or advisable) on a T5-T5 INT-INT connection. Arriving from US in CW and departing to ORY in CE. We'll have checked bags, strollers etc. I'd like to make this flight to avoid a several hour layover till the next, but just wondering if that is unavoidable.

Also, as of now, I am only ticketed on the arrival flight and need to book the departure flight. Is it possible to call BA after the 2nd flight is booked and have them link the two and does that help with luggage, or does it make a difference if I just keep them separate flights?

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere in this thread already.
As your arriving and departing flights will be on separate tickets (calling to link them won't help), a 70 minute connection with checked bags will be impossible as BA will not check through bags on separate tickets so you will have to clear immigration, claim your bags, and then recheck in with BA, and make the T35 conformance deadline.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
I am travelling with family (including small children) and would like some input as to whether a 70 min window from arrival time to departure time is possible (or advisable) on a T5-T5 INT-INT connection. Arriving from US in CW and departing to ORY in CE. We'll have checked bags, strollers etc. I'd like to make this flight to avoid a several hour layover till the next, but just wondering if that is unavoidable.

Also, as of now, I am only ticketed on the arrival flight and need to book the departure flight. Is it possible to call BA after the 2nd flight is booked and have them link the two and does that help with luggage, or does it make a difference if I just keep them separate flights?

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere in this thread already.
If you ticket as separate flights then this has no chance of working

On a single itinerary it's doable, so unless your existing itinerary is refundable you're looking at calling and amending, with the appropriate change fees and fare repricing.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is brilliant KARFA thanks ^

Following a thread earlier today went back and read through this. Shall make use of airside bus to other terminals, especially when car involved
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is brilliant KARFA thanks ^

Following a thread earlier today went back and read through this. Shall make use of airside bus to other terminals, especially when car involved
Thanks mikeyfly. I need to update it at some point, since I did it we now have the first wing, the new connections route to south security, and e-passport gates for UK/DUB connections.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks mikeyfly. I need to update it at some point, since I did it we now have the first wing, the new connections route to south security, and e-passport gates for UK/DUB connections.
KARFA, when you update the wiki/first posts I can offer two more updates / corrections (perhaps it is noted somewhere else in the thread):

in the INT-UK section is says that there are no e-passport gates available for connections on to domestic flights. I don't know for how long they have been there but there are now 4 or 5 of them.

In the UK-INT section there is a confusing sentence in the beginning of the passage. It repeats the opening paragraph of the UK-UK connection and it might give the impression that there is a security check on a UK-INT connection (I got confused by that last week). I think you could change the second sentence to something like: "Connecting on to an international flight at T5....".

Other than that a most useful guide ^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
KARFA, when you update the wiki/first posts I can offer two more updates / corrections (perhaps it is noted somewhere else in the thread):

in the INT-UK section is says that there are no e-passport gates available for connections on to domestic flights. I don't know for how long they have been there but there are now 4 or 5 of them.

In the UK-INT section there is a confusing sentence in the beginning of the passage. It repeats the opening paragraph of the UK-UK connection and it might give the impression that there is a security check on a UK-INT connection (I got confused by that last week). I think you could change the second sentence to something like: "Connecting on to an international flight at T5....".

Other than that a most useful guide ^
Thanks Innocent Abroad. Yes the the new e-passport gates is the one I noted as the e-passport gates for UK/DUB connections so I will be including those - they should markedly improve those connections. I will also have a look at the UK-INT section wording.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Some welcome news for those connecting form INT flights on to DOM/DUB flights departing T5, there are about 5 e-passport gates which have now been added and they look like they are about to be turned on fairly soon. This should be a very welcome and overdue improvement for those of us with EU/EEA/Swiss passports who can use e-passport gates.

Also if doing an INT-INT connections there are now electronic gates for scanning the bp before passing through and heading up to security. These gates are the same as the ones already seen on the INT-DOM/DUB side, and seen at the first wing.
And an update. The 5 e-passport gates are now open so this should dramatically improve the immigration part when doing an INT-DOM/DUB connection at T5. There are now two channels, one going left for EEA biometric passports to the e-passport gates, and one going right for everyone else to the manned immigration desks.

Also this new sign!

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 13, 2017 at 3:33 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:40 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I have an upcoming trip on QR LHR-DOH leaving T4 at 3pm. I'm looking to buy a separate BA ticket from BCN-LHR arriving at 11:35am. I have checked bags and I know BA won't do baggage interline, so I just want to check if the above ~3 hours is enough for a landside transfer? (clearing immigration, pick up bags, transfer T5 to T4 via bus #482/490 outside arrival or HEX/tube, check in at QR T4 and drop bags then clear security)

Edit: Nevermind, looks like all BCN-LHR flights arrive in T3 so I think 3 hours should be enough provided no delays by weather or strike (in November)

Thanks

Last edited by jix; Aug 14, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
I have an upcoming trip on QR LHR-DOH leaving T4 at 3pm. I'm looking to buy a separate BA ticket from BCN-LHR arriving at 11:35am. I have checked bags and I know BA won't do baggage interline, so I just want to check if the above ~3 hours is enough for a landside transfer? (clearing immigration, pick up bags, transfer T5 to T4 via bus #482/490 outside arrival or HEX/tube, check in at QR T4 and drop bags then clear security)

Edit: Nevermind, looks like all BCN-LHR flights arrive in T3 so I think 3 hours should be enough provided no delays by weather or strike (in November)

Thanks
It is enough if you don't have any significant delays coming in. Obviously if delayed by more than 1.5 hours you may have a problem and QR are not under obligation to re-book you for free. You should also check what the deadline QR have for bag drop at T4. I don't think BCN flights have been much affected by the strike.

From T3 I would take the HEX connector to T4, the tube would involve going to Hatton Cross and then changing for a T4 bound train. The HEX station is also a lot closer to T3 than the tube station as well.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:11 am
jix

It is enough if you don't have any significant delays coming in. Obviously if delayed by more than 1.5 hours you may have a problem and QR are not under obligation to re-book you for free. You should also check what the deadline QR have for bag drop at T4. I don't think BCN flights have been much affected by the strike.

From T3 I would take the HEX connector to T4, the tube would involve going to Hatton Cross and then changing for a T4 bound train. The HEX station is also a lot closer to T3 than the tube station as well.
Thanks, does the recent BCN chaos (security strike, schengen exit check) cause plane delays much? I'm considering earlier arrival at 9am just to be safe.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jix
Thanks, does the recent BCN chaos (security strike, schengen exit check) cause plane delays much? I'm considering earlier arrival at 9am just to be safe.
If you're on separate tickets you're in a risk matrix and it's up to you really to decide what risk is acceptable and mitigation responses. In addition to the factors you quoted, you are passing through some ATC boxes prone to strikes (though strangely nothing recently) and weather landing into LHR can easily cause delays. If the longhaul is expensive, then you'll need to factor in how happy you would be to do an at the gate booking to replace the lost ticket. (Though QR, as far as I can tell, aren't ruthless in this area). Personally I'd go the night before from BCN, or at least book something which could be replaced at the last moment by (e.g.) VY to LGW.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:40 am
jix

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you're on separate tickets you're in a risk matrix and it's up to you really to decide what risk is acceptable and mitigation responses. In addition to the factors you quoted, you are passing through some ATC boxes prone to strikes (though strangely nothing recently) and weather landing into LHR can easily cause delays. If the longhaul is expensive, then you'll need to factor in how happy you would be to do an at the gate booking to replace the lost ticket. (Though QR, as far as I can tell, aren't ruthless in this area). Personally I'd go the night before from BCN, or at least book something which could be replaced at the last moment by (e.g.) VY to LGW.
Thanks. I might either go the day before or just fly on the earliest flight into LHR at 9am then.

Question, if I miss the BA BCN-LHR flight on the departure day, can I just change to the next flight (provided seats are available) if I book the Plus fare category given the free flight change on day of?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks. I might either go the day before or just fly on the earliest flight into LHR at 9am then.

Question, if I miss the BA BCN-LHR flight on the departure day, can I just change to the next flight (provided seats are available) if I book the Plus fare category given the free flight change on day of?
You can change, but I think you have to do it before your originally booked flight is due to depart, I don't think you could miss your flight then try and do a change.

On a plus fare (make sure it is a plus fare) you can change if seats are available. You can't change airports so no changing to BCN-LGW flights.

Also if you think you may change do not check in. If you do check in you would have to call to get offloaded before you can change. The change itself can be done on ba.com or the app, and should be possible sometime shortly after midnight on the day of the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I take it the bolded text below is incorrect and should in fact refer to connecting to an international flight?

As noted, domestic arrivals come in to gates A1-A3, or A5-A8. Connecting on to another UK domestic flight at T5 does not require you to pass through security, so the only step involved is a boarding pass check. This takes place opposite gate A5.

If you arrive from a remote stand once you enter T5A you will need to go upstairs via the lifts or stairs which will bring you to near A1, and then walk down the corridor to the boarding pass check point.

Once your boarding pass is scanned you proceed up the escalators or lift and enter the departures hall at the northern end.

If you do not have your onward boarding pass there are some BA customer service desks just left of the boarding pass checkpoint, and you can obtain your boarding pass there.

It is possible that you could go landside via the UK arrivals route, up to departures, and through north or south security to go airside. However, unless there is a specific reason for you do to this it is not recommended as you will have to walk a lot further and go through security – whereas the airside route is a much shorter walk and does not involve going through security.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
I take it the bolded text below is incorrect and should in fact refer to connecting to an international flight?
Well spotted Moomba, some lazy copy and paste going on there I think. I have amended it now so it relates to connecting from a UK to an international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.