Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lost something in a BA lounge at LHR - is the missingx service fit for purpose?

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

So we left a kindle on charge in T5 at the weekend.

Reported it to the crew who passed a message to ground staff, and we were told to file a claim with Missingx.com

The thing is, the website holds such scant detail, it appears to be as good as impossible to make an effective claim against the lost item.

I put a claim in against one, it didn't match so what am I supposed to do - claim against every kindle received at LHR for the next week?

MissingX has no note as to where it was found or the serial number etc.

There were 8 kindles handed in on boxing day alone and another 20+ in the days since.

Anyway, it was 2 years old and the battery was pretty shot. I've reported it as stolen to Amazon so they have blocked the unit from being reregistered and I guess we just pick one up in the current sale for £50. I'm just pleased it wasn't something more valuable!

Has anyone had success (or failure) with these guys?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
*Sigh*

Contrast that with SQ, when I left an item in their (admittedly much smaller) LHR lounge. Tweeted them from the gate, and when I'd arrived at CPH they'd already secured it for me to collect next time I passed through the lounge.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have, it does take a while for lost items to get to the main store located near the Underground station in the central area, if possible I would recommend a personal visit.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I have, it does take a while for lost items to get to the main store located near the Underground station in the central area, if possible I would recommend a personal visit.
Thanks - So do I need to go to both locations, even though it was left in T5?

TBH this is an academic exercise as the residual value of a 2yr old kindle is probably less than their admin fee for recovery, which again they are deeply opaque about.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It all ends up in the main storage, I think it stays in T5 for around 24 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
So we left a kindle on charge in T5 at the weekend.

Reported it to the crew who passed a message to ground staff, and we were told to file a claim with Missingx.com

The thing is, the website holds such scant detail, it appears to be as good as impossible to make an effective claim against the lost item.

I put a claim in against one, it didn't match so what am I supposed to do - claim against every kindle received at LHR for the next week?

MissingX has no note as to where it was found or the serial number etc.

There were 8 kindles handed in on boxing day alone and another 20+ in the days since.

Anyway, it was 2 years old and the battery was pretty shot. I've reported it as stolen to Amazon so they have blocked the unit from being reregistered and I guess we just pick one up in the current sale for £50. I'm just pleased it wasn't something more valuable!

Has anyone had success (or failure) with these guys?
The fee will be a maximum of £20. If you don't pick up, then shipping is extra.

Successes:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23767927-post15.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23972844-post60.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25621363-post14.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25621366-post15.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25621524-post19.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24759393-post11.html
There are also failures in those threads.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 30, 2015 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:27 am

I can report a success with missingx, as per one of the threads posted above by Jerry.

I have NO idea how the process works. As you say, the information they request is scant to say the least. I left a Sony ereader on board a flight and reported it immediately. There was nowhere to say where or when (time rather than date) I lost it or give any vaguely useful details.

I found using their 'one word' search close to useless. The device doesn't say ereader on it and I thought it likely the person logging it might call it a kindle or something else.

About a week later I got an email to say they had 'my' device at T3 lost property office. I was highly sceptical, especially since I left it at T5 where they also have an office.

But I swung by T3 on my next visit to LHR. As an aside, it's not an easy place to find. The irony of searching for a lost property office wasn't lost on me. However, I digress. I was astonished to find it was indeed mine. How on earth they linked it to me, I'm not sure. I was thankful it wasn't a standard issue Kindle as I couldn't fathom how they'd match that to the right owner.

I had a purely hypothetical discussion with some chums afterwards about what we would do if presented with someone else's device. If they've mismatched you to the wrong device, what would be the chances of subsequently finding yours? Would it just make sense to claim the equivalent device and reload your content? Once you refused it, would they just work down the list and keep offering it to others, or is that it? The group had very mixed views on what they would do.

Oh, and I paid £15 to reclaim it. So - for an old device, I'd say that it's not a bad result to replace it for £50.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I have had success too - laptop left on aircraft. Happily had v. distinctive stickers all along the top. Like you, I thought the search was appalling, and assumed it was lost for good. But, 2 days after I'd filled the form in, they got in touch.

I had the Serial number etc as well but they didn't want it.

I believe I had the fee waived (as a GCH) but may be wrong.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With so many similar looking devices being lost it might be a good idea to attach a dymo embossed label to yours to make it easier to identify from the rest.

Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No luck for me - I left my nice noise-cancelling headphones and iPod in the seat pocket of my BA flight back from MXP in November. Despite me realising as I went through passport control and speaking to the man on the baggage desk in the reclaim hall within 10mins of me leaving the aircraft, he couldn't/wouldn't phone through to the gate to see if they were there. So I was directed to Missingx. As you say their website is worse than useless and after phoning several times with no joy I gave up after a couple of weeks.

Thankfully my work travel insurance company accepted a screenshot of the Missingx website as a report of the loss to the carrier, and I got reimbursed. But I can understand some insurers might be more reticent...

James
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Missingx is useful to see if they have your item and looking today, they have eighteen Kindles at LHR.

The actual company that handles lost property is bagport and if you go to their internet page :-

http://www.bagport.co.uk/cms_uk/inde...=Lost-Property

there is an enquiry form you can fill in and this will allow them to check their items for you.

I hope you get it back.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've lost 2 things on seperate occasions at LHR and they never showed up on MissingX. LHR seems to be a black hole for me, it's the only place I have ever lost anything.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Oh, and I paid £15 to reclaim it. So - for an old device, I'd say that it's not a bad result to replace it for £50.
Thanks - now this bit is really interesting as potentially paying a 35% recovery fee for an item that has no content owned on it seems a bit harsh.

Amazon tell me the item has been disabled, so it has no value to anyone unless I guess they can hack it & recode it. It's also a 2 year old kindle fire that's got a fair few scrapes & scratches on it.

On the basis missingx won't be able to recover any value from it, they will have to pay to dispose of the item.

If it wasn't for the raft of kindles already on there, I would be suggesting they just toss them into the nearest bin they can find, as with a rate card like this they must be onto a loser especially with the cheaper items.

Anyway, rant over - good to know my irritation with the system isn't entirely misplaced!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
This thread is timely for me as I left a jacket in the Flounge at the weekend. I was planning to ask if they still had it when I pass through again this coming weekend but from reading this, I guess that's not how it works? I assumed they had their own lost property section but it doesn't look like it.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
*Sigh*

Contrast that with SQ, when I left an item in their (admittedly much smaller) LHR lounge. Tweeted them from the gate, and when I'd arrived at CPH they'd already secured it for me to collect next time I passed through the lounge.
On a BA flight i realised I had left my reading specs in Flounge. The crew reported it, and later the flight deck sent back a kind-of telex saying it had been found, and where to collect it on my return. To top this excellent service, one of the crew lent me her specs so that I could work on board, and even apologised that she needed them back at the end if the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.