Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: miklcct
This guide is for people transferring between Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

For quick and easy: take the taxi.
For cheaper and still fairly quick: take the National Express
For cheap: use the Piccadilly line to Victoria (or Blackfriars) via Barons Court
Or the newest rail alternative: Elizabeth line to Farringdon followed by Thameslink to Gatwick.

Minimum connection time on through tickets is 3 hours. On the ground you need at least 90 minutes to make the connection, using a taxi. If you are late, then a delay taking you to 2 hours 30 minutes for the connection should still be do-able on most of the options listed here.

Details on contactless payment here, this will allow you to avoid queuing for tickets. This works on the Heathrow Express but buying in advance via their website and App is cheaper, with fares under Ł6 single if booked more than 3 months ahead.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Yes – but you'll need to buy online and collect a physical credit card sized ticket as this journey cannot be ticketed any other way. I am not sure whether there are any facilities to issue such a ticket at Heathrow. There used to be a collection machine at the central coach station and another on the T5 arrivals floor, but I have no idea if they are still there or working.
Thanks. I was planning to pick up the ticket from another train station a few days before anyway but it is indeed an important consideration to bear in mind for anybody planning to do this.
stifle likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by stifle
Yes – but you'll need to buy online and collect a physical credit card sized ticket as this journey cannot be ticketed any other way. I am not sure whether there are any facilities to issue such a ticket at Heathrow. There used to be a collection machine at the central coach station and another on the T5 arrivals floor, but I have no idea if they are still there or working.
I used a ticket machine at the Elizabeth Line station in T5 a few weeks ago to collect a transfer ticket - for use between terminals

I didn't check, but I would have thought the machine probably allows the collection of normal mainline train tickets ?
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
I used a ticket machine at the Elizabeth Line station in T5 a few weeks ago to collect a transfer ticket - for use between terminals

I didn't check, but I would have thought the machine probably allows the collection of normal mainline train tickets ?
Very oddly I had been thinking about this exact question recently. I am not sure the HEX ticket machines do allow for that, but I shall check on Thursday or Friday when I pass through.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers

at terminal 2/3 there were two sets of ticket machines, almost side-by-side, one issuing standard rail tickets and even allowing collection of tickets bought online, the other smaller set for into Heathrow transfer tickets. They were clearly signed in both cases.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Yes it works, I do exactly this a lot. On super off peak, you have to go via Blackfriars on Thameslink services. I have a well worn path via Barons Court (and why does Earl's Court have an apostrophe but not Barons? I think we should be told). For a weekend trip I pick up the "return" travelcard on the way out.
How does this work out of interest? I normally just use contactless (unless using the Express), it always seems cheaper when I compare prices/tickets through trainline... have I been doing it wrong?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
How does this work out of interest? I normally just use contactless (unless using the Express), it always seems cheaper when I compare prices/tickets through trainline... have I been doing it wrong?
The reason I do this that I live south of Gatwick, outside the oysterzone. I'm not sure how it compares to tap in/tap out fares, but it saves a fair amount over standard one way tickets. It's on the Thameslink site, possibly not trainline.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Yes it works, I do exactly this a lot. On super off peak, you have to go via Blackfriars on Thameslink services. I have a well worn path via Barons Court (and why does Earl's Court have an apostrophe but not Barons? I think we should be told). For a weekend trip I pick up the "return" travelcard on the way out.
One Earl and many Barons? Although iirc we could be in St James’s/James’ Park territory 😀
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Ahh ok thanks! I still find the way train tickets work in this country to be very confusing..
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SxMan
at terminal 2/3 there were two sets of ticket machines, almost side-by-side, one issuing standard rail tickets and even allowing collection of tickets bought online, the other smaller set for into Heathrow transfer tickets. They were clearly signed in both cases.
So I have a poke around this evening. Arrived at T3 and went to my hotel via T5.

In T3 at the HEX/crossrail station we have the machines for the free inter transfer tickets and those for paid tickets:

Also at T5 at platform level more of the free inter terminal machines:

and the same paid ticket machines:

What I didn't realise is that these paid ticket machines are combined HEX, TfL (inc. crossrail), oyster, and national rail machines. I thought TfL and national rail never mixed, so I have learnt something new. Purple button will get HEX tickets. Also as you can see bottom left there is a "Collect Tickets" button and this does allow collection of national rail tickets. It should be noted when you buy national rail tickets you usually have to select a collection station, but you can actually collect tickets anywhere. It does work, I had some LNER tickets to collect for a trip in a few weeks and collected them this evening.

At ground floor level in T5, more free ticket and paid ticket machines:

And finally to the right there are some TfL machines, these do underground tickets and oyster only:

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
One Earl and many Barons? Although iirc we could be in St James’s/James’ Park territory 😀
It is not the court of barons though Apparently wikipedia says:

The name Barons Court is possibly inspired by the Baronscourt estate in Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, where Sir William Palliser, who built part of the area, may have had connections. Unlike Earl's Court station, Barons Court is written without an apostrophe
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by KARFA
And finally to the right there are some TfL machines, these do underground tickets and oyster only:
Is the tube still free between terminals and to Hatton Cross?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Tapping in and out is cheaper in 99% of cases but they are a few oddities where buying a paper ticket can be cheaper. This is the case for Gatwick to Heathrow Rail via Elizabeth line (as distinct from Heathrow Underground via the tube), where the off-peak Gatwick to London via Thameslink + Travelcard one 1-6 is marginally cheaper (Ł1.50 cheaper to be precise) and the Super off-peak at the weekend a few pounds cheaper (Ł4.50 cheaper). Another circumstance where a traditional train ticket can work out cheaper is with railcard reductions.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
Is the tube still free between terminals and to Hatton Cross?
when you say still free, it is only very recently when the tube has become free between LHR stations and Hatton Cross. For as long as I remember it was not free on the tube (although when there was a free bus zone it was free on the bus to Hatton Cross).

But yes with the recent changes it is free to travel from any LHR tube station to Hatton Cross. You tap in and out as usual with an oyster or contactless card, but you won’t be charged.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
With the through running of Crossrail how does that compare to the coach?

From what I can see it's ~1:45 changing at Farringdon for Thameslink, which is longer than than NX, but they're more frequent and using Oyster with a railcard is an order of magnitude cheaper.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S
With the through running of Crossrail how does that compare to the coach?

From what I can see it's ~1:45 changing at Farringdon for Thameslink, which is longer than than NX, but they're more frequent and using Oyster with a railcard is an order of magnitude cheaper.
You’ve got it pretty much bang on, much quicker on the coach (typically 45-50 mins from T5 to LGW S) but more frequent on Crossrail. Advance coach tickets are much cheaper than on-the-day purchases. Only other thing to note is that the other route, i.e. bus to Feltham and train via Clapham, is both still available and as convenient as ever.
S_W_S likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
You’ve got it pretty much bang on, much quicker on the coach (typically 45-50 mins from T5 to LGW S) but more frequent on Crossrail. Advance coach tickets are much cheaper than on-the-day purchases. Only other thing to note is that the other route, i.e. bus to Feltham and train via Clapham, is both still available and as convenient as ever.
Thank you, from what I could see tickets for the coach have to be bought for a specific service, which given BA at the moment I'd rather not commit to that.
I suppose it all comes down to is a bus due to leave a short time after I get to the arrivals hall, if so get that, if not take the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.