Yellow tag for all carry-on?

Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Yellow tag for all carry-on?

Hi all,

I was recently flying on a full LHR-NCE flight. I was flying with a single piece of hand-luggage. Nevertheless, I was asked to have it tagged with the yellow labels to place it underneath the seat in front of me. I thought the label was only supposed to be for a second piece of hand-luggage, has this changed recently?

Ultimately I was flying in 1A so this didn't really affect me, but interesting nonetheless.

Many thanks,
TUF
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No, the yellow tag is for bags that fit within the smaller bag size (handbag/laptop bag) and 'guarantees' you can take it onboard.

See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Those tags are quite flimsy and always seem to fall off as you walk down the jetway.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The tag is for your guaranteed bag, which if you had two would be the smaller one that goes under your seat, if you have one it's permitted to go into the overhead locker.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Glad to hear that CIHY - I had an issue on my last flight where I only had a small bag (with handbag inside it) as a carry on and was made to have a yellow tag in the bag drop queue.

As I was in steerage, no way was I going to have my already skimpy legroom impinged by my bag, so it went in the overhead - and I had an argument with fellow pax and a member of crew about it. They insisted that it should be at my feet as it was yellow tagged, but backed down when I pointed out that it was my only bag, and I was therefore entitled to the overhead - but why should I have had to fight for it?

Next time yellow tag comes off as I walk down jet bridge to avoid any argument!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:43 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Glad to hear that CIHY - I had an issue on my last flight where I only had a small bag (with handbag inside it) as a carry on and was made to have a yellow tag in the bag drop queue.

As I was in steerage, no way was I going to have my already skimpy legroom impinged by my bag, so it went in the overhead - and I had an argument with fellow pax and a member of crew about it. They insisted that it should be at my feet as it was yellow tagged, but backed down when I pointed out that it was my only bag, and I was therefore entitled to the overhead - but why should I have had to fight for it?

Next time yellow tag comes off as I walk down jet bridge to avoid any argument!
Perhaps because some passengers lie and say that it is their only bag when not? I've seen it happen - in fact that person was a dump and runner - dumped his big bag in CE and then claimed his yellow tagged bag was his own. I'm not sure I resisted the temptation to draw attention to his 'inadvertent' ommission...In fact I didn't...he was Gold so assumed he was entitled - the CC set him straight - thankfully he was sat behind me so I suffered no ill effects from it other than a sigh and a dirty look on getting off the plane...
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Saw some truly massive cases being dragged down the aisle on hop to Dublin yesterday, no way they would have fitted in the sizer. I think LHR could learn from the proactive approach (by necessity) at LCY where if the load is above a certain level they start asking pax to check their bags.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
On a similar vane, on a recent flight the ground staff tried to put a yellow tag on my second bag at which I told them I was at the bulk head. She then told me I would have to check the wheelie bag (smaller than allowed size) because the flight was full at which of course I objected and she quickly let it go. As it turned out, there were 4 of use in CE. Go figure.

I think she was just in a grumpy mood.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Perhaps because some passengers lie and say that it is their only bag when not? I've seen it happen - in fact that person was a dump and runner - dumped his big bag in CE and then claimed his yellow tagged bag was his own. I'm not sure I resisted the temptation to draw attention to his 'inadvertent' ommission...In fact I didn't...he was Gold so assumed he was entitled - the CC set him straight - thankfully he was sat behind me so I suffered no ill effects from it other than a sigh and a dirty look on getting off the plane...
Good thing you didn't pull that on me. A drink would have probably been poured over your head. All my bags go up. Period. That's why I fly enough to get priority boarding.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Good thing you didn't pull that on me. A drink would have probably been poured over your head. All my bags go up. Period. That's why I fly enough to get priority boarding.
And what makes you so special that the rules don't apply to you ?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:16 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by wythy
And what makes you so special that the rules don't apply to you ?
^

Priority boarding does not give you the right to bypass the rules. Nor does it give you the right to dump your bags in CE and march to the back or to commit assault. I always qualify for priority boarding. I always put the smaller back in front. Reason? I don't want BA to go the way of some *alliance carriers where I have to risk my camera equipment in the hold because 7kg weight limits get imposed. So I go by the rules. So my roll aboard (just) fits in the sizer and comfortably fits in the overhead wheels first. My camera bag goes under the seat unless I am in row 1 (unusual for me) or in an exit row (also unusual for me).

I like the generosity of BA's on board allowances and is a major reason why I fly with them. I don't want to see that eroded because of people like you taking the p1$$.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
^

I like the generosity of BA's on board allowances and is a major reason why I fly with them. I don't want to see that eroded because of people like you taking the p1$$.
Agreed, for all of BA's faults the cabin baggage allowance is a big plus for me.

It's [those] who no doubt think because they have a gold card that the rules don't apply to them, will only result in the current generous cabin baggage allowance been enhanced away.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 27, 2015 at 9:53 pm Reason: Remove specific target
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:34 am

...Just think back to the "ONE BAG" days...

Recently we were travelling in row 1 on a full flight with one roller (smaller than allowed and certainly not more than 6 kg) between two persons and someone came up to ask (before boarding) that we let that go in the hold. I told them that there were things we needed, that there were fragile items and that it was our only carry on. He then saw we were in row 1 and said it was perfectly fine.

The yellow tags I do not understand at all - they can be easily removed/re-tagged. Surely, that defeats the point?

Also - question - are yellow tags also given out for CE?

Thank you.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by IncyWincy

The yellow tags I do not understand at all - they can be easily removed/re-tagged. Surely, that defeats the point?

Also - question - are yellow tags also given out for CE?

Thank you.
I recently flew LHR-DUB in CE and both ways I was given a yellow tag for my smaller bag - but sinceI was the only person in my row it went under the middle seat very comfortably.

What I don't understand is why they don't yellow tag the second bag (the larger bag) and say that only tagged bags can go in the overhead? At least then you'd have to travel with a spare supply of tags, rather than simply removing one.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Have you ever poured a drink over another passenger's head? Would be very interested to hear what happened next. You don't sound shy, so I'm assuming you'll be happy to entertain us all with your story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.