Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA55 tonight [26 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:29 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Not very reliable these new birds are they….
Reading this thread got me casting my mind back over the fair few flights I have done over my 50 years on the planet.

They have probably been split 50/50(ish) between Airbus and Boeing with a sprinkling of Tridents Comets & BAC1-11's (ask your dads)

I can only recall a total of 5 cancellations and 1 diversion due to tech issues - all 6 were on board airbus aircraft

I can also recall a couple of delays on 747's where they got the problem fixed and the flight did operate.

Surely this must just be down to luck - I am sure I would have read somewhere if the reliability of Airbus was proven to be inferior to that of Boeing.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Not very reliable these new birds are they….
Actually ba's A380s are typically more reliable than 744s and 777s but ba has no reserve planes so instead of substitution which is mostly unnoticeable, you get cancellations. Planes going tech are a normal occurrence.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
On the subject of pro-active 261 notices, I would imagine BA Legal have opined that the current situation meets the minimum required... to expect a commercial entity to go beyond that is a bit naive I think.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I would imagine BA Legal have opined that the current situation meets the minimum required
I would imagine that BA Legal have opined that the current failure to follow the spirit, and perhaps even the letter, of the regulations is unlikely have any enforcement consequences. I.e. that they will get away with it.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
BA have come through faster than expected with a full EU261 pay out of EUR600 per person.

They delay was incredibly inconvenient but we did arrive just in time (we missed the starter course!) for the family gathering. Given that our flights were in Y and one passenger was an infant we have come out of this quite well receiving approx 50% of the flight cost in compensation.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's encouraging to see BA pay out a compensation claim in a reasonable time (I must say they also paid me quite quickly for an aircraft gone tech earlier this year).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Hiya!

We were also on that flight - I thought the way BA handled things was shambolic quite frankly - I have had much smoother customer service experiences with Oman Air when I was in a similar situation. Ah well...Boxing Day and all that I suppose! :-)

Tell me, how can we apply for the compensation you mentioned above?

Best,

Caz
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cazmantis
Hiya!
And hello to you Cazmantis, welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum. It's good to see you here, and I do hope you have recovered from the irrop, it must have been most annoying at the time. Please make yourself at home here, and I hope that we will see more of you.

As to your question, have a look at the EC261 thread in the Forum Dashboard, it has a step by step guide to claiming, and if you were on a straightforward ticket with no connections I would expect payment to be fairly rapid. It's quite a detailed thread but the first post should give you all you need. There are some other interesting threads in the Dashboard.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Fab! Thanks! I'm just in the midst of doing it now.Fingers crossed :-)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And hello to you Cazmantis, welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum. It's good to see you here, and I do hope you have recovered from the irrop, it must have been most annoying at the time. Please make yourself at home here, and I hope that we will see more of you.

As to your question, have a look at the EC261 thread in the Forum Dashboard, it has a step by step guide to claiming, and if you were on a straightforward ticket with no connections I would expect payment to be fairly rapid. It's quite a detailed thread but the first post should give you all you need. There are some other interesting threads in the Dashboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.