Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on in France tonight ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
What's going on in France tonight ?

My other half has just taken a very bizarre route on BA580 LHR - MXP (almost via Frankfurt), their flight time back is 2:15 apparently and had to take on extra fuel as a result. They flew almost to Frankfurt before turning directly south for MXP. Some flights are flying over France, but most are routing well East, with the LHR-FCO BA0558 taking a horribly long route by the looks of it

Also.. tonight's BA2715 AGP-LGW has flown from Malaga to almost Marseilles and now heading north to LGW in what looks again like a painful route.

Can't see anything about ATC strikes, weather ..... anything.

Any ideas FT'ers ?

Ed
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:02 pm

Having flown this route several times, think this is the regular route. Check http://embed.flightaware.com/live/fl...635Z/EGLL/LIMC for routes flown on previous days.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT and to the BAEC forum Chrfly, and thanks for the useful and informative first post ^
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Well, MRS to LGW pretty much overflies France for 3/4 of the time when the direct route from AGP would just clip Brittany. So what has France got to do with it ?
How long does LHR MXP usually take ? CDG MXP scheduled with the usual padding is around 1.35, so if you add 25 minutes for LHR you are not that far...

This being said, with France's military activity in the Middle East which is not all from CDG (the ship, not the airport) but partly originates in France, there may be some lane closures. Nothing major.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Interesting, they do seem to be variations on a theme. Maybe I've just not noticed the extraordinary lengths that people will go to in order to avoid flying over France as a matter of course.

BA737 GVA-LHR tonight http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW737 again seeming to be desperate to avoid France !

Perhaps I've just not noticed before, in which case - nothing to see here !

Ed

PS : Cofy, usually a flight time of 1:45, but 2:15 tonight (Actual flight plan time, not padded time)

Last edited by TeamStorm; Dec 21, 2015 at 2:16 pm Reason: Reply to Cofy
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:58 pm

I flew LHR-BIO return last week and we were delayed both ways. The pilot said this was because of restrictions over northern France due to some upgrades they were doing to their systems - so this could be related.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT and the BAEC forum barnet. Yet again a useful and informative first post ^

What an interesting thread this is turning into!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Another Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Chrfly and barnet.

It's probably quite unusual to have 2 new members posting within a short space of time and with useful posts too! ^

Join in and the more the merrier as everyone does have something to add.

If you both haven't already done so I'd recommend having a look at the Dashboard on here which is full of excellent pieces of information on many a subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ad-sticky.html

Pete
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also want to welcome Chrfly and barnet to the BA board.

I have just flown AMS to BCN in the last hour, straight through the middle of France, east of Paris, over the Loire and down to the Pyrenees. No delays, just rather windy by the North Sea. So I don't think it is anything other than usual route planning and weather.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
On looking at this post I went on flightradar24 and noticed an ALC-LPL which seemed to be taking a long diversion to skip France and fly over the bay of biscay.

It seems a bit of a waste of fuel IMO if there's no serious logic behind it. On that basis there must be some logic!,
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by TeamStorm
Interesting, they do seem to be variations on a theme. Maybe I've just not noticed the extraordinary lengths that people will go to in order to avoid flying over France as a matter of course.

BA737 GVA-LHR tonight http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW737 again seeming to be desperate to avoid France !

Perhaps I've just not noticed before, in which case - nothing to see here !

Ed

PS : Cofy, usually a flight time of 1:45, but 2:15 tonight (Actual flight plan time, not padded time)
I must say... Avoiding France between GVA and the UK looks pretty desperate, given that part of the GVA runway is technically IN France. No idea why...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
This is just a guess, based on a bunch of Googling, but France seems to be conspicuously absent from the European Single Sky (Free Route Network) at the moment. Being in it seems to be a good thing from an efficiency point of view - perhaps because it's more straightforward, it takes less effort to get a slot.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
I must say... Avoiding France between GVA and the UK looks pretty desperate, given that part of the GVA runway is technically IN France. No idea why...
i don't think that any of the GVA runway is in france. there is a small road from the border crossing at ferney voltaire that goes under the runway to the terminal that you could use to get to the airport without having to enter switzerland but to the best of my knowledge remained swiss soil.

a quick look at google maps would seem to support this.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I flew LGW to NCE a couple of weeks ago. Our routing took us over Germany to avoid flying through France. The Captain explained that this was quicker than waiting for an undermanned French air traffic control to allocate a more direct route over France.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult

Technically not true the border runs along part of the perimeter fence on the north west side of the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.