Wiki Posts
Search

Get to the gate!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Get to the gate!!!

Currently say in the lounge in Nice, you can see the gate from the window and can see that there's a queue and boarding hasn't started. Why then did the lounge clear out thirty mins before departure time? Why do people need to get into the queue so they can sit in a plane waiting to push back. I'm very confused.com.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Probably to find a place to put their bags!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
That's the only reason we could think of but it doesn't look more than half full and many people didn't have a lot of carry on. Was fascinating watching the herd mentality as one person triggered a mass exodus.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Overhead, overhead and overhead.

If carriers managed the space properly, boarding would be faster, more pleasant and on time.

There was a time when F boarded last.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:22 am

There is only one reason - overhead locker space. No other reason to board early.

If I am travelling really light, no jacket and very small rucksack, then I board last where possible. Travelling for an extended trip with a larger rollaboard, I will try to board as early as my status affords me!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Currently say in the lounge in Nice, you can see the gate from the window and can see that there's a queue and boarding hasn't started. Why then did the lounge clear out thirty mins before departure time? Why do people need to get into the queue so they can sit in a plane waiting to push back. I'm very confused.com.
I love lounges where you can do that - HKG is a good one too. Alternatively DUB has got reasonably good at timing their lounge boarding announcements, I find that if you leave 3-5 minutes after their announcement you can wander up the fast track lane just before they call for families with small children and trigger the mad rush...
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I arrive at the gate early because the wife is one of those gate lice you read about.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
BHD boards direct from the lounge, so easy to monitor what's going on. That said, I've seen a stampede within the lounge triggered by the door to the jetty opening... As has been said above, it's all about getting the multiple large carry-ons stowed...
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by bd95
BHD boards direct from the lounge, so easy to monitor what's going on. That said, I've seen a stampede within the lounge triggered by the door to the jetty opening... As has been said above, it's all about getting the multiple large carry-ons stowed...
BHD is excellent because lounge occupants can all guarantee they are on board first as long as they leave when they are called. No rust card holders getting fast track ahead of GCH and SCH there
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As we always have hold bags, our carry-ons are small and thus fit under the seat in front. We thus avoid using Row 1 [or any bulkhead row] and enjoy the spectacle of all the other people trying to get their stuff in the overheads

YMMV, of course. We just sit smugly
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by T8191
As we always have hold bags, our carry-ons are small and thus fit under the seat in front. We thus avoid using Row 1 [or any bulkhead row] and enjoy the spectacle of all the other people trying to get their stuff in the overheads

Yet again, Uncle T, I find myself in complete agreement
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
BHD is excellent because lounge occupants can all guarantee they are on board first as long as they leave when they are called. No rust card holders getting fast track ahead of GCH and SCH there
Unless they are your guest.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

This is one of many things I have learnt from your TRs. Wise advice indeed.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Yet again, Uncle T, I find myself in complete agreement
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
This is one of many things I have learnt from your TRs. Wise advice indeed.
Thank you, gents. ^

The older you get, the less pretentiousness becomes a feature. Simple practicality tends to factor more highly [like quick access to the toilet ] and the concept of "I'm in Row ONE with Seq 001" becomes ever more risible
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

Me too - my motto is 'just check it all in'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.