T5: best place to purchase mince pies?

Old Dec 12, 15, 7:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster

T5: best place to purchase mince pies?

I’d like to purchase two dozen mince pies tomorrow before catching my flight to PVG. My first thought was M&S but may need a plan B if you think there will be an issue at security. Any thoughts/recommendations will be most appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 15, 7:45 pm

I doubt they'd be treated as fluids but who knows with LHR security. Perhaps there should be a Christmas FT game... fit as many mince pies as you can in a sealed clear plastic bag

Plan B, perhaps Fortnum's?
Old Dec 12, 15, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Get them at M&S before you check your bags? I'd bring along a zip bag or two to be sure they are sealed in case they were squashed!
Old Dec 12, 15, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Never had any problems carrying foodstuffs in hold baggage out of The UK to Asia. I usually carry at least 10 Kg of meat and cheese. Even done it carry on once - but they did do some serious checking!

But you need to think of the other end. Many Asian countries can be strict and China has an extensive list of prohibited items. That said the Chinese tend to be very sympathetic to anything sweet.

I do know of a restauranter who carries 50 Kg of speciality English cheeses two or three times a year in hold baggage!
Old Dec 12, 15, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I usually end up doing an M&S food shop at T5 (including connections) and don't have any issues with security. I just keep it all in the M&S bag and it's fine (and of course - get the food after you have checked in - that way you avoid the hand baggage limit!).

The only issue I have ever had was explaining things to US customs - 'mince pies' - oh.... .
Old Dec 13, 15, 2:51 am

It would be fab if there was an airside M&S at LHR.
Old Dec 13, 15, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Mince pies definitely fine for security at NCL, EDI and LHR. Done repeatedly.

But I'm very surprised you are asking, there is now a Fortnum & Mason under South Galleries. And they have multiple sorts of pies in various sizes and packaging. Unless, of course, the inner Scotsman was adding length to your pockets.

There's also a very prominent Walkers' deal at WH Smith between North and South Security. I can't remember the exact details but it was something like 3 boxes of 6 for £10 and I remember walking away thinking that maybe my inner Scotsman was awakening at that price.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 13, 15 at 3:14 am Reason: location added
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm not sure if you're only considering purchasing at the airport. If not, this year my partner and I are in agreement that Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' are the best! £4 for two boxes of 6. Beat M and S hands down.
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster

Thanks folks, will go with Plan A - could be tempted to pick up some shortbread too

Thanks also to Flexible preferences for the Sainsbury's recommendation. Unfortunately I've left it a little late for this as my local store doesn't open until 11am today. Will keep it mind for after I get back though. #ilovemincepiesme

I tend to flow through Heathrow on autopilot and don’t pay too much attention to what is going on retail wise. However, earlier this month I was pleased to see that a new book shop had opened near Gate A7.
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
But I'm very surprised you are asking, there is now a Fortnum & Mason under South Galleries. And they have multiple sorts of pies in various sizes and packaging. Unless, of course, the inner Scotsman was adding length to your pockets.
In an 'independent taste test' a couple of weeks back, I think on BBC Breakfast, the Fortnum Mince Pies were joint worst with Greggs. Harrods came out on top with commendable showings from Aldi and Sainsburys. M&S were better than Fortnum.

Of course your taste may vary!
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
In an 'independent taste test' a couple of weeks back, I think on BBC Breakfast, the Fortnum Mince Pies were joint worst with Greggs. Harrods came out on top with commendable showings from Aldi and Sainsburys. M&S were better than Fortnum.

Of course your taste may vary!
My taste does vary!
Regardless of what the BBC says I'd place Greggs mince pies at the top of the list for taste and value but maybe not so for packaging. The product isn't boxed, because they bake them in the shop every day - yummy! Boxed mince pies are likely to have been made months ago - some before easter! yuk
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Greggs piece de resistance would be the cheese and onion pasty. Nothing else comes close
Old Dec 13, 15, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
For a long time F&M didn't offer mince pies in the terminals it was a real pain, are they now selling there?

Booths Mince Pies are clearly the best but F&M isn't bad and I do like their brandy butter.
Old Dec 13, 15, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
For a long time F&M didn't offer mince pies in the terminals it was a real pain, are they now selling there?
Give me a couple of hours and Iíll get back to you on that.
Old Dec 13, 15, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your tips. Very helpful.

My mission was successful - plenty of mince pie stock at M&S and no probs getting through security.

LoM, Fortnums are also selling mince pies at T5, at a luxury price point. We'll be enjoying ours with a mug of builders tea so M&S is great for my purposes.

F&M display

Search this Thread
Search Engine: