Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR-CMH/IND/the American Midwest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
BA LHR-CMH/IND/the American Midwest?

In the last year or so, rumors have popped up regarding BA starting some combination of LHR-CLE/CMH/IND/BNA/STL in the relatively near future. News had gone quiet until 10 days ago, when Indianapolis media reported a push for "London service".

Today, Columbus' ABC and FOX affiliates ran a similar story. BA was specifically mentioned by sources at the Airport Authority, with services to potentially start in "early 2017": http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...-port-columbus

I did a search to make sure this wasn't already being discussed and, interestingly enough, found this thread from 5 years ago with discussion about Columbus. This and the Wikipedia article can provide some context as to what Columbus is all about:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-ohio-usa.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio

Has anyone heard or does anyone know if there's anything to these reports? Given airport officials at CMH specifically named BA and a likely start date, it seems as though it's more than uninformed speculation. CMH (50) and IND (48) have similar PDEW numbers to what AUS (55) did prior to getting its "off the beaten path" LHR service a couple years ago.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Has anyone heard or does anyone know if there's anything to these reports? Given airport officials at CMH specifically named BA and a likely start date, it seems as though it's more than uninformed speculation. CMH (50) and IND (48) have similar PDEW numbers to what AUS (55) did prior to getting its "off the beaten path" LHR service a couple years ago.
The major thing that seems to be helping the AUS route now is the cargo load, which is going out full almost every flight from what I've heard, and lots of expensive cargo as well. Passenger load seems to be ok, but the cargo is doing very well. Also, don't underestimate that San Antonio is only about an hour drive away, so the AUS flight pulls from that extra radius as well. Would CMH or IND have similar potential?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The major thing that seems to be helping the AUS route now is the cargo load, which is going out full almost every flight from what I've heard, and lots of expensive cargo as well. Passenger load seems to be ok, but the cargo is doing very well. Also, don't underestimate that San Antonio is only about an hour drive away, so the AUS flight pulls from that extra radius as well. Would CMH or IND have similar potential?
For CMH, Dayton is an hour away, with Cincinnati and Cleveland right around two, all interstate driving.

Cincinnati is also two hours away from IND, as are Louisville and Dayton.

Really, the ideal "in the middle" place to try this in terms of pulling people from other cities would be DAY (an hour to Cincy and Columbus each, two to IND), but there's no way that's happening.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My perception about this is that if any airport / city authority in the USA offers a sufficient revenue guarantee then BA will be very interested in running flights there. See these threads too, where CMH gets a shout:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...us-cities.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...regon-usa.html

PDX is interesting since I've seen BA management at the airport a few years back. I guess the guarantees were not forthcoming. However in looking at this and similar threads, some of the speculation has actually transpired (KUL, LIM and SJC specifically).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:55 am

I believe BWI has for many years subsidised that route for BA, ensuring it gets a daily service. I think also it's possibly the last longhaul route to move over from a 763 to a 788.

CVG is pretty much in the middle of all of them - have memories of flying a DL MD-11 into Gatwick many years ago. Presumably that's still a big fortress hub for them? Might make the yields quite attractive for BA if they can maintain prices.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave_C
CVG is pretty much in the middle of all of them - have memories of flying a DL MD-11 into Gatwick many years ago. Presumably that's still a big fortress hub for them? Might make the yields quite attractive for BA if they can maintain prices.
CVG has been pared down significantly in the last few years, accelerated by the NW merger and DTW making it redundant. There are still a number of DL destinations served, but it's mostly on RJs and is a shell of its former self, sadly. Mainline flights remain to the West Coast, Florida, Boston, and CDG, which remains in part because of GE cargo and Proctor & Gamble business.

It's still a hub in that people can connect there, but a terminal diagram doesn't even show up in Sky magazine anymore.

List of destinations still served here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...port#Passenger
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
BNA airport has a big announcement tomorrow. Could this finally be BNA - LHR?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
I'm sure that will be an interesting publicity shoot....lots of sparkling boots and tassels.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm sure that will be an interesting publicity shoot....lots of sparkling boots and tassels.
You're not suggesting that Willie is going to copy the bearded one and dress up as Dolly Parton...

(No 2,000 mile transcons from BNA it seems, SEA about 1% shy...)
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:19 pm

BNA would have to be subsidized, no? It's not a hub for anyone and it seems from anecdotal evidence that it's primarily within the ATL influence zone.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
BNA would have to be subsidized, no? It's not a hub for anyone and it seems from anecdotal evidence that it's primarily within the ATL influence zone.
Well, if BNA is willing to subsidize the flight (like BDL is doing to get an EI flight), BA should give it a chance with a 788. By all accounts, BA didn't get a direct subsidy to start AUS 4x weekly, and it has turned into a great success by all accounts, currently operating with a 772 until the 789 goes full time on it. And AUS is well within both the DFW and IAH influence zones, and is closer to each than Nashville is to ATL.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
The announcement today was UA launching a route to SFO, so no news on a LHR route unfortunately.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM
I can't find the article linked to the tweet at this moment, but I read airport officials at MCI mentioned BA and the success of the AUS route and opening up direct flight there in 2017-2018 timeframe. Could be all bluster to get the new terminal pushed through, though.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'd be impressed if BA started LHR-IND.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
IND has a fairly large cargo operation and is positioned quite well for trucking across the lower parts of the Midwest. Eli Lilly as well Indiana University and Purdue University and their associated travels could provide decent passenger demand as well. Not to mention travel for Rolls Royce which has significant operations there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.