Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-PHL: AA A330 over BA 777/787 in J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
LHR-PHL: AA A330 over BA 777/787 in J?

I have an upcoming trip to PHL. After some research, it seems the flights available with our travel provider are A330 on AA or 777/787 on BA. I know BA well but have never flown AA. It seems that the hard product on AA A330 is the cirrus seat in J, which in my view is far superior to J on BA 777 let alone 787. The 787 flight arrives at PHL far too late for my needs anyway. What do you experts think?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
I really enjoyed my trip DUB-PHL back in October with AA on the A330. Clean, smart, functional seat, IFE and plenty of space. Great that no-one to step over. Catering was also excellent, and ammenity pack was more like BA F than BA J.

Only downside was that I then connected to an old ex US Air 737 PHL-LAS with no seat power, no IFE and no record of my pre-selected meal.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:37 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by PWOZUK

Only downside was that I then connected to an old ex US Air 737 PHL-LAS with no seat power, no IFE and no record of my pre-selected meal.
Which has nothing to do with the question tho, does it? But I'm glad you sung the praises of the A330.

OP, take the A330 option. No contest.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Other than offering the benefit of direct access to the aisle, AA’s A330 and 77W seats are poles apart. The A330 is fine enough on day flights although on-board catering is hit or miss

I reviewed the A330 seat last month - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25661730-post28.html
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Which has nothing to do with the question tho, does it?
Maybe not directly on topic, but maybe useful info for someone deciding whether to connect in PHL after the A330, or somewhere else. It's a lot more on topic than a lot of posts in the fourm!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Some images of AA A330 on a recent PHL-DUB flight, personally I preferred BA CW.

Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:24 am

For a direct flight the a330 is the only choice.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Had the pleasure of an AA 330, DUB-CLT, in September [TR here] and looking forward to repeating the experience DUB-PHL next month.

In J, with a window seat in the 1-2-1 configuration, I place the hard product well above BA J, despite the slight inconvenience of the 'foot-slot' that Prospero mentions in his seat review linked above. I found the seat more comfortable, and shelf and storage space significantly better. Soft product seems about as variable as BA's, so what happens 'on the day' will always be an open question and, inevitably, subject to personal preferences.

Unless there's a massive price difference in BA's favour, I intend to use AA's 330 for our future TATL travel wherever/whenever possible.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:37 am

On a contrary note, I flew LHR/PHL on AA (ex-US) and had the worst service for a very long time. Nasty check-in, terrible, couldn't-care-less crew, OK food, bad wines.

Seat is great, however, as are the T3 lounges.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Based on various reports I'd read, I decided to give the AA A330 a go on my upcoming PHL-MAN flight in a couple of weeks and so I'm looking forward to trying something new.

Interestingly, it looks like my connecting domestic flight MCO-PHL is also on the A330 - is this a rarity or do they use this aircraft layout for domestic flights too?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
The cabin on the A330 doesn't have the contemporary smartness of AA's 77W and feels rather dated by comparison but IMHO it's still preferable to the BA alternatives.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by where2travel
Interestingly, it looks like my connecting domestic flight MCO-PHL is also on the A330 - is this a rarity or do they use this aircraft layout for domestic flights too?
Interesting indeed.

AFAIK that is new but it looks like 1 of the several daily PHL-MCO-PHL flights will be operated by a A330. ^
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
I have an upcoming trip to PHL. After some research, it seems the flights available with our travel provider are A330 on AA or 777/787 on BA. I know BA well but have never flown AA. It seems that the hard product on AA A330 is the cirrus seat in J, which in my view is far superior to J on BA 777 let alone 787. The 787 flight arrives at PHL far too late for my needs anyway. What do you experts think?
My preference would be Cirrus seat out (any day flight), CW sleeper service back (any night flight)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Interesting indeed.

AFAIK that is new but it looks like 1 of the several daily PHL-MCO-PHL flights will be operated by a A330. ^
They do this a fair amount in the winter around the holidays when there is peak domestic demand and reduced TATL traffic, or sometimes when they would otherwise have the plane just sitting at PHL. This used to happen quite a bit for PHL-CLT also, but sometimes even on PHL-PHX.

The only downside when this happens is that the former US international planes do not have wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.