Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Award flights (separate) - connecting in ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program

Dear all,

Opinions are required.

I currently have a CX F flight booked out of Zurich at the end of Jan. Flight departs 12:40 hrs.

I have a reward flight saver getting me to Zurich. I have booked the last flight the night before meaning an overnight but if I were to switch to the first flight to Zurich which gets us in at 09:40, I would save the overnight.

It is wife and me so taking a flight from London will cost more via 2 x F APD.

bTW, the taxes are only costing Ł100 all in (Ł35 to Zurich and Ł42 to Hong Kong)!!!

RFS is actually a genuinely great improvement to the BAEC....
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Forgot to add: would you risk a same day connection in Jan?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:51 am

we have done a winter departure from ZRH also in F. Went the day before and stayed in the Radisson Blu on points...I personally would go earlier the day before - (but I am fairly risk averse) If the last flight is cancelled there will unlikely be enough spare capacilty on the morning flight for all the passengers...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If the BA flight that day is cancelled or significantly delayed you'll miss the CX flight, whereas going the night before you may have the option to rebook on the morning flight. You really need to determine what level of risk you're willing to accept, separate tickets and ex-EU is not for everyone.

You may find that adding the LHR-ZRH same day flight to your existing booking and paying the extra APD is similar in cost to a hotel room and saves time while providing protection for delays/IRROPS.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
It depends on your risk appetite.... Zurich is a well prepped airport but fog at Heathrow would scupper your holiday plans.

It's likely to work out, but why not spend some of your APD savings on taking the wife out for dinner in Zurich. It's well connected to the city and I find that an overnight before a long haul holiday is a nice way to ease in to the holiday mood. You could go for a wintery wander around Zurich, some great food and wine and then take a nice lazy start in the morning.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:54 am

I would risk it, but then I often take risks that others here would not.

That said, I'd look at the overall picture. A flight that arrives at 9:40 feels like a pretty early departure out of LHR - unless you live very close by, that's a pretty early start and it may be a more relaxed beginning to your trip to overnight in ZRH and just chill in the morning.

As mentioned earlier, it's really a gamble. If the evening flight has problems you can't really bank on getting onto the morning flight.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH
You could go for a wintery wander around Zurich, some great food and wine and then take a nice lazy start in the morning.
When I've looked at doing this kind of thing, I've always dipped out because I don't want to carry winter clothing around the rest of my trip. Someone needs to set up a pop up clothing hire company at popular EU winter locations!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
When I've looked at doing this kind of thing, I've always dipped out because I don't want to carry winter clothing around the rest of my trip. Someone needs to set up a pop up clothing hire company at popular EU winter locations!
Haha... #FirstWorldProblems!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:31 am

I suggest to go the night before. 3hour if there are some snow delays and you'll miss the flight easily.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Dinner out in Zurich the night before would be my choice.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think I will keep the last flight out the night before (can not go earlier as wife is working - finish at 17:00 hrs near Tower Hill).

Dinner in GF is more realistic than in ZRH as flight lands 22:35 unless anyone has any creative suggestions for that time of the night?

But being a true FTer, I have booked the morning flight just in case as the risk of missing a CX F flight will be a severe catastrophe!!!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:10 am

Where you plant to stay in Zurich? Airport or city?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, HGP Diamond
Originally Posted by d3vski
Thanks for the replies. I think I will keep the last flight out the night before (can not go earlier as wife is working - finish at 17:00 hrs near Tower Hill).

Dinner in GF is more realistic than in ZRH as flight lands 22:35 unless anyone has any creative suggestions for that time of the night?

But being a true FTer, I have booked the morning flight just in case as the risk of missing a CX F flight will be a severe catastrophe!!!
What do you mean by having booked the morning flight just in case? Do you have award bookings on both and will cancel the one you don't use or do you mean you have a refundable cash ticket on the morning flight as a back up?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by d3vski

Probably cheaper to just add the morning LHR-ZRH flight to your existing award booking than what you've done.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Probably cheaper to just add the morning LHR-ZRH flight to your existing award booking than what you've done.
Existing reward is via American Airlines miles.

Was planning on staying at the radisson Blu as it is connected to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.