Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do I get protected on separate itineraries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL

I am flying AA DFW-BOS on Jan 24 and then IB (BA-operated) BOS-LHR at 7:30am, Jan 25. The AA domestic flight is the last flight of that day. They are separate tickets. In case AA flight is cancelled, will I be protected onto a later BA flight to LHR? Both airlines are OneWorld would help? I am also OWS.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:02 pm

Officially no. Depends on your luck on the day.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by simons1
That should be officially Yes? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-tickets.html
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Actually, not true.

The OP would have been better to ask in the AA forum, where there is an extensive thread on irrops protection. See the wiki at the top of that thread, or check out AA's published policy on OW reaccommodation.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lappe
Wiki's are wonderful things, but this one is out-of-date. The AA-OW protection across tickets language has been removed from the AA customer-facing website. While it reportedly still appears on AA's TA website, that is not of much comfort to OP.

So, indeed OP may be rebooked or he may not, unless someone can come up with an "official" policy which is current and applicable to OP's ticket.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:37 pm

Good luck then. As that no longer appears on AA's website I personally wouldn't be relying on it. The link on the website where it used to appear is dead.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA would be obligated by its own policy to re-route the OP to LHR -- perhaps, but not necessarily, on BA. (AA might just put the OP on its own DFW-LHR nonstop.)

AA's re-accommodation policy has not changed. It was always on AA's travel agency page. The only thing that's changed is that the travel agency page is no longer accessible to the general public. If you search around FT, you'll find a thread that contains a link to AA's separate-tickets protection policy, in PDF form.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

It most certainly was on AA's consumer-facing website until a few months ago. At that time, the provision was removed while the page with other information is still active. That suggests the page was consciously edited.

If it was a mistake, it has not been fixed. As AA has no obligation to have had the policy under either DOT rules or its own COC, I would not rely on it until AA provides whatever passes for "official" clarification. Preferably by reinstating the website reference.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
The link on the website where it used to appear is dead.
See post #4 for a working link.

I've never had to test the policy, but AA still publishes it so I'd expect them to honor it.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Often1
It most certainly was on AA's consumer-facing website until a few months ago. At that time, the provision was removed while the page with other information is still active. That suggests the page was consciously edited.

If it was a mistake, it has not been fixed. As AA has no obligation to have had the policy under either DOT rules or its own COC, I would not rely on it until AA provides whatever passes for "official" clarification. Preferably by reinstating the website reference.
Indeed, I had not noticed the change and it is quite worrying. I can confirm that as you rightly say, the AA policy was explicitly stated on the website earlier this year, detailing cases (one reservation: fine, separate reservations: not fine unless they are both OW).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Originally Posted by Often1

Indeed, I had not noticed the change and it is quite worrying. I can confirm that as you rightly say, the AA policy was explicitly stated on the website earlier this year, detailing cases (one reservation: fine, separate reservations: not fine unless they are both OW).
If anyone is truly concerned about this, why not just submit an inquiry to Customer Service at aa.com and ask whether the re-accommodation policy -- which still appears on the travel-agency page -- is still in effect?

I do not recall seeing a single report on any forum here on FT of AA's refusing to honor this policy -- at least not after a printout of it was shown to the appropriate AA staff member. (Reports do indicate that not all of AA's front-line staff are aware of the policy.)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
It's still available on this supposedly password-protected AA server, however I would not rely on this as it may be an outdated document...

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...ng%20Index.pdf
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:37 pm

See post #4 for a working link.

I've never had to test the policy, but AA still publishes it so I'd expect them to honor it.
That isn't the public website.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
That isn't the public website.
I was able to find the page via a simple google search and I am able to view it without having to authenticate myself as a "special" class of user (TA, AA staff, etc.) so, if that's not "public", what is?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I was able to find the page via a simple google search and I am able to view it without having to authenticate myself as a "special" class of user (TA, AA staff, etc.) so, if that's not "public", what is?
You are missing the point. This has nothing to do with whether one can dredge a document up off the Internet. It is whether AA's current policy is to protect in IRROPS across tickets.

That policy does not appear in the current COC and it has been removed from the customer FAQ.

Smart move rather than trying to waive paper you printed off the Internet in some agent's face would be to have AA document this for you if you plan on relying on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.