Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's a reasonable time to wait for luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite

I've just landed in LHR from IAH, and it seems there is an issue with the cargo door on the plane. We've been waiting some time, I am really do need to get to London for a meeting... Advise?

Should I ask GGL line to courier to me later? What's the form for these situations?

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I would think 1 hour is plenty.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:06 am

we had a flight where a trolley load of bags went astray between the aircraft and belt (turned out it had broken down but they could not get in touch with anyone) I spoke to the baggage people after about an hour and suggest they start making baggage reports to arrange delivery and let people get one their way since there was no ETA. They agreed but just as about to make report, the bags arrived
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
My luggage was delivered to me at home today some 4 months after it was reported missing. My socks/underpants draws are now overflowing.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Deckard
My socks/underpants draws are now overflowing.
sounds like a very unusual sweepstake.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by deckard
my luggage was delivered to me at home today some 4 months after it was reported missing. My socks/underpants draws are now overflowing.
omg i lol:d
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not leave the airport without making a report. Calling in later raises all manner of issues relating to security with unattended bags. Not the time to test the system these days.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
The two and a half hours I spent on the tarmac waiting for the incompetent Menzies crew to figure out how to get the luggage up the stairs from the regional to the jetway.

Dolts--all of them.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:53 am
BJM

Programs: UA
Disparaging remarks and name calling serves little purpose. Do you know for a fact that it was incompetence that they could not get the door opened? Maybe it was your bag that slipped and blocked the door in such a way as to keep it from opening. Who knows. In any event I am sure you don't want to know what the Menzies crew thinks of you.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
it was not uncommon in T1 domestics to wait longer for your bags than you spent in the air, especially if a number of domestic flights all arrived around the same time.

I would hope the bags were on the belt within 15 minutes

I am not sure what you consider "a while"

Probably start to get frustrated after 20 minutes

I did wait over an hour for bags at DXB in the summer arriving from Glasgow.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Apparently 20 minutes is plenty long enough for any competent, well organized airline:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...s-or-less.aspx

I'm sure there would be a secondary benefit of reducing the amount of junk carried into the cabin if airlines could deliver faster, more reliably.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stuart Deignan
I've just landed in LHR from IAH, and it seems there is an issue with the cargo door on the plane. We've been waiting some time, I am really do need to get to London for a meeting... Advise?

Should I ask GGL line to courier to me later? What's the form for these situations?

Thanks
According to Flightstats the BA 194 arrived nine minutes early at 07.11. You posted at 07.49 which tells me you haven't been waiting that long.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Depends on the local Union,
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
This Thread's going nowhere fast, for sure.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by BJM
Disparaging remarks and name calling serves little purpose. Do you know for a fact that it was incompetence that they could not get the door opened? Maybe it was your bag that slipped and blocked the door in such a way as to keep it from opening. Who knows. In any event I am sure you don't want to know what the Menzies crew thinks of you.
A dash of self-mockery with your self-righteousness?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.