GGL benefits timing

Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA executive club
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Not only semantics, but also the fact that many others, myself included, have had the status manually reinstated when presenting the GGL team with the same argument.
Unfortunately, this argument did not help. Hereafter the reply from the GGL team. The nomination has to be done after the card validity date according to the present terms and conditions in order to get an almost 2 year tier validity for the Nominee. Thank you anyway for your help. Much appreciated!

From the GGL team :

I agree with the terms and conditions that you have posted with section 8.3 listed below;
"8.3. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club Members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee."

However, In the section 2 of the terms and conditions, listed Definitions the below is stated;
2. Definitions - In these Terms and Conditions unless the context requires otherwise:
Membership Year End means the expiry date on the Membership Card;
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Trippelone
Unfortunately, this argument did not help. Hereafter the reply from the GGL team. The nomination has to be done after the card validity date according to the present terms and conditions in order to get an almost 2 year tier validity for the Nominee. Thank you anyway for your help. Much appreciated!

From the GGL team :

I agree with the terms and conditions that you have posted with section 8.3 listed below;
"8.3. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club Members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee."

However, In the section 2 of the terms and conditions, listed Definitions the below is stated;
2. Definitions - In these Terms and Conditions unless the context requires otherwise:
Just received the same email!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:02 am

This is quite disengenuous by BA. Everything we do (tier runs) is based on the 8th of the month date. The card expiry should not have an effect on getting gold/silver benefits.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
This is quite disengenuous by BA. Everything we do (tier runs) is based on the 8th of the month date. The card expiry should not have an effect on getting gold/silver benefits.
I think the clauses could be clearer, to avoid customer disappointment and lots of emails to the GGL Team.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:27 am

I think the old days of waiting for your new card to come is over as most people now have access to the BA app. It should be one day that determines your year end and that’s it. No more 2 day system.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I think the clauses could be clearer, to avoid customer disappointment and lots of emails to the GGL Team.
I fully agree with you. If you look at an account statement, BA defines 'Year End' as the 8th of the Month whilst in the GGL terms and conditions 'Year End' is the expiry date of the card. I just wanted to be able to select seats 1A and 1K (stilll available) on a flight in October and I am unable to do so because my wife, who is in the same booking, has been downgraded from Gold whilst I was convinced that she would keep Gold for another year. Giving a GGL/CCR and his wife the possiblility to book the seats they prefer does not cost BA anything and still the GGL team refuses to do so. The end result is that I will book the November/December flights (in First) for myself and my staff with Lufthansa (where I never had any such issue being a frequent with them). The BA GGL team does not seem to understand that many of us have a choice of airlines.

Last edited by Trippelone; Sep 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: typing error
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
I fully agree with you. If you look at an account statement, BA defines 'Year End' as the 8th of the Month whilst in the GGL terms and conditions 'Year End' is the expiry date of the card. I just wanted to be able to select seats 1A and 1K (stilll available) on a flight in October and I am unable to do so because my wife, who is in the same booking, has been downgraded from Gold whilst I was convinced that she would keep Gold for another year. Giving a GGL/CCR and his wife the possiblility to book the seats they prefer does not cost BA anything and still the GGL team refuses to do so. The end result is that I will book the November/December flights (in First) for myself and my staff with Lufthansa (where I never had any such issue being a frequent with them). The BA GGL team does not seem to understand that many of us have a choice of airlines.
i thought that other pax in a booking with an elite member will be able to choose seats in advance?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:31 pm

If you’re GGL, regardless of what your wife’s status is, don’t you get to select seats for both if you’re on the same booking?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:33 pm

From the GGL team :

Goodness. Now we get why there is confusion for us as well as the CSOs!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ermen
i thought that other pax in a booking with an elite member will be able to choose seats in advance?
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
If you’re GGL, regardless of what your wife’s status is, don’t you get to select seats for both if you’re on the same booking?
It might have been possible in the past but no more today. When trying to change the seats online I got an error and a message to call my local BA office. When I contacted the GGL team I got following reply :

I appreciate that you want to secure seats 1A/1K and regrettably we are unable to allocate both of these seats to you and your wife and I know that this will be disappointing to you.

We can allocate seat 1K for yourself and 3K for your wife if this will help but we can longer allocate seats 1A or 1K to non Gold card holders.

Note : 2A and 2K are already taken.

Last edited by Trippelone; Sep 10, 2018 at 1:57 am Reason: typing error
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
yes but for long haul 1a and k can only be reserved if the passenger is golds/GGL. Once you get past around three days before the flight that block is dropped so if they are still available a non gold/GGL can select.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I have just gone to nominate someone from my F&F list for a partner card as her old card expired yesterday (end Feb). Despite showing me my HHA and F&F list when I go to make the nomination ba.com tells me I don't have any such lists and invites me to make one. But that isn't my query!

I looked at the FAQs under the more information link. It says

This is at odds with the sentence at the top of the same page which says the nominee will receive a partner card for at least 12 months,

Is this a new thing that the cards are only valid for the rest of the person's current membership year? It seems like a significant downgrade form the previous current year plus a year. Though it would explain why someone I nominated in August 18 has a card which expires in August 19 which I only discovered a couple of days ago.

PS Where can I find the T&Cs referred to several posts above, please?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
I have just gone to nominate someone from my F&F list for a partner card as her old card expired yesterday (end Feb). Despite showing me my HHA and F&F list when I go to make the nomination ba.com tells me I don't have any such lists and invites me to make one. But that isn't my query!

This is at odds with the sentence at the top of the same page which says the nominee will receive a partner card for at least 12 months,

Is this a new thing that the cards are only valid for the rest of the person's current membership year? It seems like a significant downgrade form the previous current year plus a year. Though it would explain why someone I nominated in August 18 has a card which expires in August 19 which I only discovered a couple of days ago.

I've nominated someone in January, after his card expired 31 Dec. His new card is valid until 31 Dec 2020. It does match the rest of the year plus 12 months.
So if it has changed, it is extremely recent.
On the other hand, I've never had the online system successfully handle the nomination. I've always had to call to do it.
Also, my experience is after August 2018 which is when you report your last experience. However, in that example, you say the card expires August 2019. So you should have nominated in September and not in August to get the full duration until August 2020.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost

It does not say that cards are only valid for the rest of the person's current membership year. I don't know where you get that information. it is still Membership Year End + 12 months.

The exact term is

Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter

However Membership Year End is being defined as the card expiry date. So to avoid disappointment, always nominate after the card expiry date.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL
All's Well That Ends Well (so far)

So, having finally found the elusive T&Cs thanks to the link ermen provided I see that includes the bit about the following 12 months which is missing from the FAQ that I had copied from elsewhere on the website.

Meanwhile, I had emailed the GGL team to ask them to issue a card as I couldn't nominate online. The email I had back from them also confirmed the current membership year plus a year.

I am still a bit perplexed by the two cards issued last August which, according to these rules, should have been valid until June 2020 based on the membership years of the people concerned. I'll investigate that further.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.