Wiki Posts
Search

GGL benefits timing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Nuster
I wonder if the mods would be ok if I split these questions into their own thread?I suspect GGL timing threads get little footfall
If you've not do so already, I suggest you click on the alert button next to your post to bring this to the attention of the moderators.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:08 am

Bumping this. Can you gift a GC to a GCH?
Would you explain again why you want to do this? What is the benefit if the recipient is already a gold card holder? If the recipient doesn't renew gold on their own the following period (e.g. insufficient BA flights) you could gift it once they drop down to silver.

Also, her indoors will likely qualify for GGL by taking a QR flight 2 days before her year end.As we all know the QR flight will not post until after the year end. I assume that the GGL status would happen retrospectively but does it mean the 2jokers are also forfeited?
Yes. If the original two jokers are not used by the end of the membership year they will be replaced by two new ones at the renewal date. In the case you describe above the first two would not really exist because the member will probably have reached their year end before the GGL status occurred.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by golfmad
Would you explain again why you want to do this? What is the benefit if the recipient is already a gold card holder? If the recipient doesn't renew gold on their own the following period (e.g. insufficient BA flights) you could gift it once they drop down to silver.

Yes. If the original two jokers are not used by the end of the membership year they will be replaced by two new ones at the renewal date. In the case you describe above the first two would not really exist because the member will probably have reached their year end before the GGL status occurred.
I had understood that the receiver would receive the card for the end of their current year plus the next year once past the 50 day tail period? If so it means they would not need to do the 4 flights on BA metal (and yes I know.....). Is my understanding wrong?

The logic to the second response is that GGL is not attained if flights do not post before the year end.Yet the flights are back dated to allow correct status to be earned but the benefits are not it appears?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:37 am

The logic to the second response is that GGL is not attained if flights do not post before the year end.Yet the flights are back dated to allow correct status to be earned but the benefits are not it appears?
The jokers are replaced with new ones. There is no loss of the 'published' benefit.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:41 am
Suspended

The jokers are replaced with new ones. There is no loss of the 'published' benefit.
Except if the membership retroactivity happens at say T-2 and this was applied to jokers, they would be available for 2 days and then replenished/replaced at T for the new year.

Any opinion on the GC to a GCH question?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Except if the membership retroactivity happens at say T-2 and this was applied to jokers, they would be available for 2 days and then replenished/replaced at T for the new year.
My experience of GGL benefits is that not everything is enshrined in some formal procedure or set of rules, and manual adjustments can be made in appropriate cases where the strict position isn't clear. Personally I would say that the fact that BA make the manual adjustments to allow someone to attain GGL status on the back of flights taken right at the end of their TP collection year but which will likely credit afterwards already means they are being quite helpful. If, however, that isn't good enough and someone wants the two jokers they have 'lost' (but as you say, would only have had two days to use even if all flights had credited at the speed of light) then they can ring the GGL line and ask nicely. Just please don't come here and whinge about it as if it were a human rights issue if the agent happens to say 'No'.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's noted in the GGL benefits T&C too, you get two per membership year and this starts from the date when one first becomes a GGL

4.1. A Member shall be eligible for two Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards per Tier Point Collection Year starting on the date that the Member received an invitation to the Gold Guest List and was able to receive the Services. This does not affect Members ability to spend Avios in the usual way under the Executive Club membership Terms and Conditions.
And if you have't used them by the end of the same membership year in which they were issued they simply expire.

4.4. Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards must be used before the end of the Tier Point Collection Year in which the benefit was issued. No Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards may be carried over and any unused Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards will be lost if Membership of the Gold Guest List for whatever reason terminates. There is no cash alternative or compensation available if the Member fails to use his/her Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
It's noted in the GGL benefits T&C too, you get two per membership year and this starts from the date when one first becomes a GGL

And if you have't used them by the end of the same membership year in which they were issued they simply expire.
Thanks. I know the written rules but was wondering if anyone had any experience in this.

And, ahem, the GCH question
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As it appears no one has responded with any personal experience either way why not ask the GGL team whether it's possible?

EDIT: see gms's answer below

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 13, 2017 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:33 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Yes, you can gift a Gold Card to an existing Gold Card holder.

Ensure you wait until they are in their new card year. i.e. if their tracking period runs to 8 Nov, their cards will expire on 31 Dec. So, in this case, wait until the start of Jan. They will then get their status extended for another year (i.e. another year beyond the current year of their card)

I did exactly this for my wife just a couple of months ago.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
Deleted as questions had already been answered...

Last edited by vindaloo; Nov 13, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gms
Yes, you can gift a Gold Card to an existing Gold Card holder.

Ensure you wait until they are in their new card year. i.e. if their tracking period runs to 8 Nov, their cards will expire on 31 Dec. So, in this case, wait until the start of Jan. They will then get their status extended for another year (i.e. another year beyond the current year of their card)

I did exactly this for my wife just a couple of months ago.
Excellent.Thanks. That's what I thought logically should happen
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Deleted as questions had already been answered...
I thought you answered the year end question very well so thanks for the predeleted answer
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:50 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Excellent.Thanks. That's what I thought logically should happen
Even more amazingly, BA's IT can cope with this without any issues (in my experience at least!). I did it all online and it just worked.

Although says something about BA's IT track record when I'm surprised that something actually works seamlessly
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Thanks all for the help. I think we eventually got there. It was a bit nice that I got to stump some of the unstumpables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.