GGL benefits timing

Old Jan 2, 18, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by gms View Post
Yes, you can gift a Gold Card to an existing Gold Card holder.

Ensure you wait until they are in their new card year. i.e. if their tracking period runs to 8 Nov, their cards will expire on 31 Dec. So, in this case, wait until the start of Jan. They will then get their status extended for another year (i.e. another year beyond the current year of their card)

I did exactly this for my wife just a couple of months ago.
My daughter have the same membership year as described above, her old card expired 31 Dec. Does that mean I can nominate her now and she effectively gets almost 2 years, or should I wait a few weeks to be on safe side?
Old Jan 2, 18, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Yes, you can nominate her now and she will get almost two years of membership. Note that if she is under 18 it will be a manual process for which you will have to call the GGL line.
Old Jan 2, 18, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Yes, you can nominate her now and she will get almost two years of membership. Note that if she is under 18 it will be a manual process for which you will have to call the GGL line.
Thanks very much mate! She is 2 so guess will get on the phone with GGL... Your wisdom, as always, is appreciated!
Old Jan 2, 18, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Another theoretical question please - if a joker is used for a single booking of say 4 people, can 2 use a GUF and 2 use avios?
Old Jan 2, 18, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post
Another theoretical question please - if a joker is used for a single booking of say 4 people, can 2 use a GUF and 2 use avios?
You can't mix revenue and pure Avios bookings on the same PNR. Would need to be revenue with GUF or Avios upgrade or pure Avios with GUF.
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by David_Doyle View Post
You can't mix revenue and pure Avios bookings on the same PNR. Would need to be revenue with GUF or Avios upgrade or pure Avios with GUF.
'sorry I was not clear. I meant 4 paid tickets on one PNR and 2 use a GUF to upgrade and 2 use avios to upgrade
Old Jan 2, 18, 6:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post

'sorry I was not clear. I meant 4 paid tickets on one PNR and 2 use a GUF to upgrade and 2 use avios to upgrade
Ah apologies also. I can't see any reason why not. I've done a pure Avios booking for 4 persons in First with a GUF2, reducing the total Avios required for 2 of the 4 passengers.

The GGL team are excellent at detailing options available, they gave me 3 separate options as I also had 2 x GUF1's available at the time.
Nuster likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post

Thanks very much mate! She is 2 so guess will get on the phone with GGL... Your wisdom, as always, is appreciated!
Genuine question: aside from extra Avios for the HHA, what benefits does a 2 year-old get from being a GCH ?
happyintheair likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon View Post
Genuine question: aside from extra Avios for the HHA, what benefits does a 2 year-old get from being a GCH ?
Guesting rights
Old Feb 1, 18, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AA EXP; AS 75K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
Specific data point:
Family member joined BAEC 28 March 2017.
I gifted them a partner card the same day.
Per BA.com, their membership year ends 8 April 2018 and card expires May 2019 so they have received the benefit for the remainder of their current year plus the next year.
Hope that helps.
Great info. It is a bit baffling though. When a person first registers on 28 March 2017, does the end of collection year immediately say 8 April 2018? Has anyone else done this as well?

My collection year ends 8 February 2018. I have a friend who has a dormant account on which nothing has been earned before. Its collection year ends 8 July 2018. Should my friend create a fresh account instead today? If I understand your experience correctly and nominate him right after, he'd have a card valid until 31 March 2020 and I would be able to use next year's nomination for someone else... If I nominate the dormant account, then if have to renew him next year.
Does BA actively track duplicate accounts?
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AA EXP; AS 75K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
To answer my first question, my friend created a new account and his silver card expires end of April 2020. (So one more month than what I had presumed).
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:52 am

I think I messed up. If my year ends July 8 and card ends 31 August and my partner upgraded me today I only get 1 year of Gold instead of waiting until Sept 1 to do it and getting 2 years?

is there a way to reverse it?
Old Aug 24, 18, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK View Post
I think I messed up. If my year ends July 8 and card ends 31 August and my partner upgraded me today I only get 1 year of Gold instead of waiting until Sept 1 to do it and getting 2 years?

is there a way to reverse it?
See some of the commentary in this thread GGL partner cards efficiency question

you are entitled to the partner card for the rest of this current membership year and one full year after so your status should expire 31 August 2020. the issue of doing it between renewal and card expiry is the system incorrectly only gives you to 31 August 2019 so your partner would need to call GGL to get that fixed.
Old Aug 24, 18, 1:38 am

Thank you KARFA
Old Aug 24, 18, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
See some of the commentary in this thread GGL partner cards efficiency question

you are entitled to the partner card for the rest of this current membership year and one full year after so your status should expire 31 August 2020. the issue of doing it between renewal and card expiry is the system incorrectly only gives you to 31 August 2019 so your partner would need to call GGL to get that fixed.
do you think I should do this now or wait until card expiry next year before contacting them?

Search this Thread