GGL benefits timing

Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Tried to find an answer to this but failed miserably so have to ask.

Both Me and the Mrs. will hit 5k TP well before our year ends (8th of Jan 2018 for both of us).

I have been wondering if we are able to gift the Gold status's to each other and thus guaranteeing Gold through 2020? In my thinking we will enjoy Gold/GGL for the whole year of 2018 and when our TP year ends on 8th of Jan 2019 we would just gift each other those Gold cards and enjoy Gold status until the end of 2020.

I'm doubting my thinking about if it really would work that way.
I'm fairly sure that you can't nominate someone for Gold if they are gold already. They only stop being gold at their card expiry, not end of TP collection year. So in your case, you partner cards to gift will disappear on 7 January but your GGL status will only end 28 February so you won't be able to gift gold cards to each other.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Grateful for some confirmation (or otherwise) please, that my approach is correct.

I seem to remember from last year that it is best to wait until the card recipient's card has expired before renewing status.

One of my Silver card holder recipient's BAEC year started in 8 February and his card expires on 31 March 2017. My intention is to wait until say 1 April, and then renew his Silver card, which I think will give him Silver status until 31 March 2019?

Thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
One of my Silver card holder recipient's BAEC year started in 8 February and his card expires on 31 March 2017. My intention is to wait until say 1 April, and then renew his Silver card, which I think will give him Silver status until 31 March 2019?
Yes, it would expire at the end of March 2019.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, it would expire at the end of March 2019.
Great.

Thanks, KARFA, for confirming my understanding.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I am so sorry for this basic question. I know it's been covered over and over again, and I feel like the kid in the back of the class who eats paste - I still don't get it.

I just qualified for GGL for the first time. My collection year ends May 2017, and my card expires June 2018.

If I want to nominate someone who is not currently a member of BAEC, for gold, and the goal is for them to have gold status for the longest possible time:

--should they enroll March 1, so their card will expire April 30, 2018? Then sometime in March I nominate them?

From my limited understanding, this is pretty much all I can do, since I won't get a second set of nominations, and since he's not currently a BAEC member. It just squeaks out one more month of gold for them.

--or, is there some trick to it that I'm not seeing, that would enable him to have gold longer?

Thank you so much for the advice.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I'm fairly sure that gifting a gold card is handled by the system in the same way as earning the same tier level - so the status will be valid for the rest of their "earning year" (based on 8th of the month) *and* all of their next earning year *and* to the end of the month after the next-next earning year starts.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GinFizz
I'm fairly sure that gifting a gold card is handled by the system in the same way as earning the same tier level - so the status will be valid for the rest of their "earning year" (based on 8th of the month) *and* all of their next earning year *and* to the end of the month after the next-next earning year starts.
Yes, gifting works the same in that sense. Based on that for someone who isn't a member I don't see there is any date to aim for really.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So I understand the gifting, but with regards to the F&F list, once you remove someone, after 24hrs it locks that option for 6 months. So, if I nominated someone today and removed them from the F&F in a week, would that cause any issues?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL
No, that wouldn't cause any issues.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Have a weird scenario here

Say I give someone who is not part of the BAEC program (call them Mr X) a Silver partner card as part of the GGL benefits

Jan 2018: Mr X joins BAEC. No flights credited.
Jan 2018: GGL gives silver card to Mr XYZ
June 2018 (say): Mr X takes their first BA flight and credits to BAEC

When will the Silver benefits end?
- Feb 2018 (expiry of their original BAEC card?)
- Aug 2018 (typically, the program / tier point dates only activate when the first flight is credited?)

Or another to ask is, when does the tier point collection year crystalise.

Last edited by ermen; Jun 1, 2017 at 7:22 pm Reason: edit for clarity
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by ermen

Say I give someone who is not part of the BAEC program (call them Mr X) a Silver partner card as part of the GGL benefits

Jan 2017: Mr X joins BAEC. No flights credited.
Jan 2017: GGL gives silver card to Mr XYZ
June 2017 (say): Mr X takes their first BA flight and credits to BAEC

- Aug 2018 (typically, the program / tier point dates only activate when the first flight is credited?)

I would expect the former. By upgrading their account to Silver a card will have to be issued, thus forcing a TP year to be created.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

You say Mr. X is not part of BAEC yet you then say he joined BAEC in January
Who is Mr. XYZ?

I believe the tier point year starts based on the date of the first flight taken by the member.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I believe the tier point year starts based on the date of the first flight taken by the member.
Yes, but if you're gifting them a status there would need to be a TP year to allocate the card to. Therefore I'd imagine the TP year would begin as soon as you issue the status.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Yes, but if you're gifting them a status there would need to be a TP year to allocate the card to. Therefore I'd imagine the TP year would begin as soon as you issue the status.
I suspect it will be down to the vagaries of the wibbly-wobbly world of BA IT
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond

Specific data point:
Family member joined BAEC 28 March 2017.
I gifted them a partner card the same day.
Per BA.com, their membership year ends 8 April 2018 and card expires May 2019 so they have received the benefit for the remainder of their current year plus the next year.
Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.