Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL benefits timing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The issue is that BA define 'membership year' = 'card validity period' in this case.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Question Optimal BAEC joining date for new BAEC member and partner card

I must not be very good with dates as I cannot work out the following. My membership dates:
  • Become (not retain) GGL on 15 Jan 2020
  • Collection year ends 8 Mar 2020
  • Card expiry 30 Apr 2020
My sister is not a BAEC member so want her to join and give her a Silver partner card with the maximum validity. Is my calculation correct that I should get her to sign up some time in December 2019, so I can "upgrade" her to Silver when I become GGL in January 2020, then manually get her Silver status renewed in December 2020?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
In theory it should be as simple as "she signs up for an account in December - then the gifted Silver status should last automatically for the next 24 months (no need for you to call up in December 2020).

Does though she have any OneWorld flights planned that she can credit to BAEC in December/January after signing up?

I ask as my recollection (please someone correct me if this is wrong) is that after registering for a BAEC account this is only "activated" after the first account activity (usually crediting of Avios). For example if you sign up in January, but your first flight credited to BAEC is on March 15th, your collection year would start on March 9th.

I am not sure though how this works though when the first activity is "gifted status". Hopefully someone has direct experience of this and can advise accordingly.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by GinFizz
In theory it should be as simple as "she signs up for an account in December - then the gifted Silver status should last automatically for the next 24 months (no need for you to call up in December 2020).

Does though she have any OneWorld flights planned that she can credit to BAEC in December/January after signing up?

I ask as my recollection (please someone correct me if this is wrong) is that after registering for a BAEC account this is only "activated" after the first account activity (usually crediting of Avios). For example if you sign up in January, but your first flight credited to BAEC is on March 15th, your collection year would start on March 9th.

I am not sure though how this works though when the first activity is "gifted status". Hopefully someone has direct experience of this and can advise accordingly.
No flights planned at all, at least no BA ones as she lives in Oz. Assuming it does take a credit of Avios to activate the account, then shopping.ba.com should hopefully do the trick.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I have one silver card left before my card expires end of March next year. However my friend list is full with the maximum 5.
If I want to use the last silver card, I have to remove at least one person. It is also my understanding that I have to immediately add the replacement person otherwise the list will be locked for 6 month.
Is that understanding correct?

Does removing the previous gifted friend from the list cause any issue for them?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I have one silver card left before my card expires end of March next year. However my friend list is full with the maximum 5.
If I want to use the last silver card, I have to remove at least one person. It is also my understanding that I have to immediately add the replacement person otherwise the list will be locked for 6 month.
Is that understanding correct?
it does get locked but i thought it was for a shorter period - maybe 3 months? I think it does warn you on the page. I have a memory of someone calling when their list was locked and gifting a card manually so possibly there is an option to do that if your list is locked.

Does removing the previous gifted friend from the list cause any issue for them?
no
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

it does get locked but i thought it was for a shorter period - maybe 3 months? I think it does warn you on the page. I have a memory of someone calling when their list was locked and gifting a card manually so possibly there is an option to do that if your list is locked.
But one can add someone immediately or within a short timeframe? Is that correct?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
But one can add someone immediately or within a short timeframe? Is that correct?
yes, i think it is 24 hours you have to do changes before it gets locked
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, i think it is 24 hours you have to do changes before it gets locked
Thanks for the confirmation. It will work for me. I can remove all the ones I've given from last year's complimentary card set, add the one I need, get the silver card gifted and then I'll be out of gifts until April, so beyond the 6 months.

PS: I just did the operations and it worked like a charm!
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Jun 15, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: Practical experience confirmation.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Kind of a timing question but not about nominations - due to lack of awareness and imagination on my part, I have left it a bit late to use my first jokers (or so I thought) as my TP resets tomorrow!

I tried today to use a 'joker' before I lost it but apparently I am not on the 'database' as having any jokers available. I got GGL in the July re-alignment and she suggested that either it needs more time to register or that I wouldn't get my jokers until after the TP reset date - both of which sound a bit odd and not as per the wiki. Anyone else had similar issues?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:24 pm

when was your year end, and did you get upgraded to GGL or was this just a renewal?

actually sorry re-read your post now. so your year end is 8 September. What happened in July? You got upgraded to GGL? If so you should have two jokers to use from when you upgraded to end of 8 September, and if you don't use them they expire. You will get two new jokers from 9 September.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:09 pm

Yes, I was sitting on 4900 TPs as the lockdown began, and got GGL in July when they applied the reduced threshold. Other GGL benefits have clearly worked, as I've done some free avios changes/cancellations, but I don't seem to have any available jokers.

I know its a bit late, but only just twigged we could possibly change a travel date by using a joker - but the computer says no.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Yes, I was sitting on 4900 TPs as the lockdown began, and got GGL in July when they applied the reduced threshold. Other GGL benefits have clearly worked, as I've done some free avios changes/cancellations, but I don't seem to have any available jokers.

I know its a bit late, but only just twigged we could possibly change a travel date by using a joker - but the computer says no.
i would call again. The explanation you got was woeful. There is no reason you shouldn’t have two jokers, and if for some reason they aren’t showing the agent should pro actively offer to go and find out why to sort it, not simply shrug their shoulders.
golfmad and vintagepilot like this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:23 pm

To be fair, they did try to help - she put in my request for the flight I wanted (which has the appropriate fare bucket availability as far as I can see from EF) but it was rejected. She checked the 'database' and apparently my name/number didn't appear. She has done some sort of manual request and I await a response but will also chase it up again tomorrow.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Even on the GGL line it really does depend sometimes who answers. I had a GUF2 stuck in used after a cancelled holiday. When I first queried it I was told they’d sent it back to Back Office and wait 3 days. They’d also ‘keep an eye on it’

3 weeks later it was still not returned. I queried
it again, and the chap I got last week who’d just returned from furlough did a lot of tapping and an hour later I got an email it had been returned and extended 12 months. It was due to expire this month.

So, it shouldn’t happen I know, but some CS agents are really outstanding, and it can be a lottery.
vintagepilot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.