Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long haul pricing ex BHD is just stupid. Rant

Long haul pricing ex BHD is just stupid. Rant

Old Nov 18, 15, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
I understand the idea of supply/demand but then surely adding on UK connections should make it cheaper, since you have to stop somewhere anyway.

Why is say KLM often cheaper for say LBA-AMS-BOM than BA with LBA-LHR-BOM? Either way the pax have to change planes.

Similarly, anyone flying from MAN to the Far East has a choice of a huge range of "1-stop" carriers, but BA is often the most expensive via LHR. Is this because it's still priced as if it was a direct flight to the main destination, plus a domestic add on, rather than priced like ex-EU which has to take into account there is a stopover?
Old Nov 18, 15, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
I understand the idea of supply/demand but then surely adding on UK connections should make it cheaper, since you have to stop somewhere anyway.

Why is say KLM often cheaper for say LBA-AMS-BOM than BA with LBA-LHR-BOM? Either way the pax have to change planes.

Similarly, anyone flying from MAN to the Far East has a choice of a huge range of "1-stop" carriers, but BA is often the most expensive via LHR. Is this because it's still priced as if it was a direct flight to the main destination, plus a domestic add on, rather than priced like ex-EU which has to take into account there is a stopover?
I think the stop/nonstop thing is slightly overplayed. It seems to me the more important thing is whether you are considered to be on the airline's home turf (in the same country or region).

Why the market tolerates this is not something I can explain.
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
But are you comparing the same ticket ex-LHR immediately?

I have bought a few LBA and MAN-originating longhaul tickets myself. In my experience if the price is high ex-LBA it's high ex-LHR or ex-MAN.

In principle BA can play around with married segments to make certain fares unavailable form the regions but I haven't noticed it.
I have previously compared immediately, though haven't specifically looked for it recently. In the past I've compared ex-DUB, ex-LON and then, just for laughs, ex-BHD and BHD would usually be significantly higher to the point that I thought it was adding a fully flex domestic fare and then some. I'll look out specifically for it in the future.
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bd95 View Post
I have previously compared immediately, though haven't specifically looked for it recently. In the past I've compared ex-DUB, ex-LON and then, just for laughs, ex-BHD and BHD would usually be significantly higher to the point that I thought it was adding a fully flex domestic fare and then some. I'll look out specifically for it in the future.
In principle this could happen [your pricing unit could be constructed as a domestic Y fare on BHD-LON + longhaul O fare on LON-xxx], but from what I see even the lowest longhaul O fare filed from the regions allows you to book into any class up to B class on the domestic sector.

Code:
>$LB1                                                          
001 BFSSYD 18NOV15 BA GBP  335.00 OLRC1UK  STAY-SU/12MBK-O     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
OLRC1UK   REGULAR APEX FARES                        O          
OLRC1UK   BETWEEN AREA 2 AND AREA 3 FOR ROUND TRIP FARES       

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   ... (snip) ...       
   VIA BA  O     PERMITTED     O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
   VIA BA  Q/N   PERMITTED     O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
   VIA BA  S/V   PERMITTED     O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
   VIA BA  L/M   PERMITTED     O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
   VIA BA  K/H   PERMITTED     O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
   VIA BA  B     REQUIRED      O- FARES  WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM 
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pricing is in no way connected to distance flown. Hence the entire xEU hidden city ticketing issue. Sometimes it works your way and sometimes it doesn't.

There are days when one can purchase WAS-NYC for less than WAS-LON. Why? Because people will pay exorbitant fares for a 180 mile / 35 minute flight.
Old Nov 19, 15, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I do not think there is one reasonable explanation for the difference between BHD and DUB.

The example of AMS was used but you can not drive from AMS to LHR in about 2 hours.

The other domestics, you cant drive to an ex EU starting point in two hours or go to another airport that has such a massive price difference.

It just baffles me that a price for a CE/CW ticket can be so much more expensive than a domestic/CW ticket 100 miles apart.

Somebody mentioned the tax element this is a red herring. Comes nowhere near the difference in cost.
Old Nov 19, 15, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MickV View Post
I do not think there is one reasonable explanation for the difference between BHD and DUB.

The example of AMS was used but you can not drive from AMS to LHR in about 2 hours.

The other domestics, you cant drive to an ex EU starting point in two hours or go to another airport that has such a massive price difference.

It just baffles me that a price for a CE/CW ticket can be so much more expensive than a domestic/CW ticket 100 miles apart.

Somebody mentioned the tax element this is a red herring. Comes nowhere near the difference in cost.
I agree it's not logical. But be careful what you wish for. If you're asking for something close to parity between the two, I'd expect DUB prices to move closer to BHD than the other way round.

I'd be thrilled if I had an ex-EU option within reasonable driving distance.
Old Nov 19, 15, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
I think the stop/nonstop thing is slightly overplayed. It seems to me the more important thing is whether you are considered to be on the airline's home turf (in the same country or region).
+1

Why the market tolerates this is not something I can explain.
Similar to first mover advantage, I would have thought. You can also see other examples in the reluctance of individuals to switch utility suppliers or bank even though it would demonstrably be in their interest to do so.
Old Nov 19, 15, 5:11 pm

Don't get me wrong. With large amounts at stage I'm more than happy to take the cheap and fast coach from Belfast to DUB. Hell, last winter with the BA/BE/WX price war to LCY I'd do it even for p2p. No difference between spending 90 min travelling in the Irish side compared to 90 min travelling in the LON side!
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:55 am

Don't get me wrong. With large amounts at stage I'm more than happy to take the cheap and fast coach from Belfast to DUB. Hell, last winter with the BA/BE/WX price war to LCY I'd do it even for p2p. No difference between spending 90 min travelling in the Irish side compared to 90 min travelling in the LON side!
I still do that. With my final destination being Omagh it's easier fly from LCY to DUB and get the bus sitting outside the airport than fly from LGW/LHR/STN and then have to get to the Europa buscentre on the other side.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:15 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Don't get me wrong. With large amounts at stage I'm more than happy to take the cheap and fast coach from Belfast to DUB.
I've done this a few times now and the bus has been busy each time.

It's good news for Translink and Bus Éireann, I guess!