Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar takes to twitter to complain to BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Great story here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...disbelief.html

It seems waitlisted passengers didn't get a seat and luggage went missing. Sachin Tendulkar takes to twitter to complain.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Great story here:

It seems waitlisted passengers didn't get a seat and luggage went missing. Sachin Tendulkar takes to twitter to complain.
Admittedly there's very few cricket fans in the social media team, so it's plausible that the agent replying to the tweet genuinely didn't know who he was.

The whole DM your details process is so we can confirm who they are. No different to asking you to confirm your name on the phone!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by worjackie14
Admittedly there's very few cricket fans in the social media team, so it's plausible that the agent replying to the tweet genuinely didn't know who he was.

The whole DM your details process is so we can confirm who they are. No different to asking you to confirm your name on the phone!
Sounds to me like this cricket guy has a major God complex. News flash! Not everyone likes cricket, and even more have no idea about cricketing people. Going to Twitter because one person in a British company hasn't heard of (or doesn't immediately kowtow to) an Indian cricketer seems incredibly sad to me. I guess that's why it's in the DYKWIA forum!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Great story here:

It was a family members ticket, so BA twitter were probably asking for the family members PNR and name/details.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by shefgab
Sounds to me like this cricket guy has a major God complex. News flash! Not everyone likes cricket, and even more have no idea about cricketing people. Going to Twitter because one person in a British company hasn't heard of (or doesn't immediately kowtow to) an Indian cricketer seems incredibly sad to me. I guess that's why it's in the DYKWIA forum!
hmmmm, so if it is outside of your sphere it doesnt matter?
FWIW there are probably close to a billion people that treat this guy like a God!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by nux
It was a family members ticket, so BA twitter were probably asking for the family members PNR and name/details.
Reading the message they certainly did not ask for the family member name!
Perhaps a quick gander at his twitter account might have helped, just over the 8m followers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34807450

6th most read story on BBC today so far

Last edited by MickV; Nov 13, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by MickV
Perhaps a quick gander at his twitter account might have helped, just over the 8m followers.
seems like 7 billion people don't give a toss who the bloke is........

He would be more mad if BA guessed at his (or one of his groups names) and got it wrong!!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:26 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Castle25
seems like 7 billion people don't give a toss who the bloke is........
I'm one of them!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
FWIW there are probably close to a billion people that treat this guy like a God!
The BA's twitter person acted completely correctly - it's not remotely uncommon for the name on the passport/ticket to be different from the public name of a celebrity.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am British but I've literally never heard of this person nor come across his name in my life. Doesn't mean I would not treat him politely if I met him, I would treat him the same as anyone else.

As for the waitlist business, they were obviously not waitlisted in the class in which seats were open.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:40 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
How would he have felt if BA didn't follow correct procedure and someone using a similar twitter handle impersonated him?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I am British but I've literally never heard of this person nor come across his name in my life. Doesn't mean I would not treat him politely if I met him, I would treat him the same as anyone else.

As for the waitlist business, they were obviously not waitlisted in the class in which seats were open.
No issue whatsoever with that.

However, whatever way you look at it, this is a gaff by the social media team.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not the way I'm looking at it.

Seems they behaved perfectly normally.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:49 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
No issue whatsoever with that.

A gaff to follow proper data protection procedures equally to all no matter what your celeb or otherwise status? I say Kudos to the team for that. If Tendulkar wasn't being such a drama queen he'd understand. If he'd wanted to bypass it he could have got a personal assistant to get in touch with BA's PR section to see if there was anything they could do, but that wouldn't be public.

Too many celebs use twitter as a first point of call before trying a quieter way first. It's a bit like writing directly to the Chief Executive before writing to CR.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:55 am

Sounds to me like this cricket guy has a major God complex.
A pro bowler, cricket player and competitive eater walk in to a bar....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.