Search

BA v QF in J - how times have changed!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
BA v QF in J - how times have changed!

I'm not sure there has been any conversation on here about the comparison between QF and BA J seats. I've seen a lot of talk about the new QR seats but not QF.

Historically I have used SQ around APAC and BA back to Europe having been a BA convert since the fully lie flat seat came out 10+ years ago.

I have also tried the CX seat and whilst it is very, very good I found it very hard, a bit open and hard/impossible to get out of in sleep mode.

QR I found just as hard but more space and easier to get out of. And amazing service.

Recently I had the pleasure of trying the new QF J seat. I had previously been turned off with the slopey 2x2x2 configurations and then the moderately improved and flat, but still 2x2x2 seats. However the new seat is a step change above anything QF had before.

It is very private. There is a lot of storage. Great IFE and chargers, plugs etc. Then there was the big pillow, the mattress that the crew set up for me. The duvet that is far superior to BA's First duvet not to mention a different league to the thin blanket in BA's J.

The seat went fully flat and it was as soft as BA's but crucially it was easy to get out of with hand rails on the seat in front that when you pull on, do not move the other pax.

Then they even offer pyjamas, that fit, as well as being a better quality than BA's F.

The length of the bed is huge - bigger than BA's F and no sq cubby hole effect.

I haven't mentioned food as I do not want to start mixing the soft product with the hard and ancillary hard product (although I should mention the senior crew member's greeting and are well to check everything had been fine).

After this I will reevaluate my European travels as I was thoroughly impressed but sad that my decade plus of BA travels may be coming to an end as the competition, even QF, have overtaken BA.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Unfortunately I don't think QF is going to install the new J seats on their A380 which serves DXB/LHR.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:36 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I think that BA did have a revolutionary and innovative product, as you said, 10+ years ago, but have sadly rested on their laurels far too long and the competition has caught up and even improved upon it.

That being said, I have not had the pleasure of trying the new QF J cabin, as the former 2-2-2 configuration was a non-starter for me as well. Will be sure to check it out on the next trip down to Oz.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There is no comparison. I pretty much will never fly BA east form LHR. Planning a trip to DXB in a couple weeks and taking QR via DOH rather than BA/QF non-stop.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mattking2000
I think that BA did have a revolutionary and innovative product, as you said, 10+ years ago, but have sadly rested on their laurels far too long and the competition has caught up and even improved upon it.

That being said, I have not had the pleasure of trying the new QF J cabin, as the former 2-2-2 configuration was a non-starter for me as well. Will be sure to check it out on the next trip down to Oz.
The QR 777 J is MUCH better than BA CW. Its only the A330 QR J seats that are cramped and ski slope ish.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by sts603
The QR 777 J is MUCH better than BA CW. Its only the A330 QR J seats that are cramped and ski slope ish.
But QR 777 J seats (like the QF A380/744 J seats) are 2-2-2.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My one experience of QF long haul in J was on the 747 upper deck six years ago. Apart from the jammies I wasn't impressed with any part of the product.

Good to hear they're finally getting their act together.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:44 am

And just to throw SAS a bone, their new C-class is the same as QF's new C-class. Being rolled out fleet-wide, and almost completed (slightly different number of aircrafts).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Meh
So from reading this it seems every decent airline is rolling out a new J seat of some sort in recent times. Come on BA, forget about those big corporate contracts between LHR-JFK and think of the future!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
I disagree. I recall a bump in the foot rest which dug uncomfortably into my legs and made sleep at best intermittent. In such circumstances I would much prefer CW.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA
Another QF fan here. Once they complete the rollout on their A330 fleet it'll be great to have the guarantee of a decent product between Australia and Asia. SQ still have those awful slopey 2x2x2 seats on their A330 fleet and show no inclination to upgrade the J seats since "customers manage to get themselves comfortable". Huh.

Incidentally QF offer the Business Suite on their Domestic A332s which run between PER and the East Coast. The QF crews are also superb IME.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:43 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by stevie
So from reading this it seems every decent airline is rolling out a new J seat of some sort in recent times. Come on BA, forget about those big corporate contracts between LHR-JFK and think of the future!
Well said...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Don't forget the superb wine selection on Qantas.

As a British expat, I am thoroughly impressed with Qantas, flying regularly on the domestic suites East-West-East. The lounges are fantastic (pizza chef/oven in the Perth Domestic Lounge). Singapore lounge is great, stopovers in Dubai at the new concourse Emirates lounge etc.
The staff are invariably personal and friendly.

The domestic Q tag baggage / automatic check in is great too. Upgrades are a piece of cake. A well run airline, and seems to be aiming for higher.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
The new QF Business Class seats on the A332 & A333 are indeed the best thing to happen on QF for some time now - particularly if you hate anything other than a face directly forward seat. There are small tweaks they could do to make it even better, I think, but it is far superior to the old Mk I and Mk II Skybeds.

Originally the A332s were going to just be used domestically (even popping up on short haul flights of less than 2 hours, but mostly intended for coast to coast services) and the A333s were going to do international routes, but you'll now find A332s and A333s both plying international routes. The biggest drawback of getting an A332 over an A333 is that's it only one toilet in Business Class compared to the two on the A333.

I've flown both more than a few times and quite like them (although the A330-2/300 fleet is still part way through conversion so you are never certain what will be waiting for you at the gate, as last minute changes aren't that unusual).
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: BA (OW) - Silver (Sapphire), HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Platinum. Falling!!
Was v impressed with qf a380 j seat, although bear in mind they don't click (like the ba ones ) when you go back to the seated position; managed to snap my iPhone in half!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.