Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Watch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
I can also attest that these watches are resistant to a great deal of minor abuse.
My GMT watch has suffered quite deal of abuse without even any dings or scratches. If I bump it into concrete pillar the block will inevitably have a little chunk taken out of it.

The current score is something like GMT-Master II 8 - 0 concrete pillars!
gliderpilot likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:03 am

A shame they could not come up with something more fitting with the Concorde brand.

Maybe next time do a poll of a number of designs.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My GMT watch has suffered quite deal of abuse without even any dings or scratches. If I bump it into concrete pillar the block will inevitably have a little chunk taken out of it.

The current score is something like GMT-Master II 8 - 0 concrete pillars!
I feel this should be true for any good watch. However, the way I treat them does put some upper bound on how much I will pay for a watch, since it will get scratched and worn after a while, and anything whose value comes in great part from its immaculate state should not be treated like that. My watches are tools, not investments or wealth displays (not to mean yours are either, but many expensive watches are meant as that).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
I had the Blue Angels Citizen watch a while back, great watch but it had to go as the titanium back cover brought my wrist out in a rash if I wore it for more than a few hours. Back to the faithful 28 year old submariner that is still going strong.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I have since seen at least one other watch that's more appealing to me that is linked to Concorde (even if the other one which I'll post shortly is not done by BA).

For example:

Amazon Amazon
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Seeing the picture thought Ł60 max - my eyes popped at the sight of Ł299 on Highlife Shop! Looks like the sort of watch you could get at Argos.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Was it this one Jimmie76?

Rather retro!

Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:00 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by V10
At 48mm that case will be HUGE and look silly on many people's wrists.

From a horological point of view it's got 2 quartz movements that optimistically might be worth a tenner tops, and a limited edition run of 3458 is far too unlimited to be worthwhile.

Apart from that, I'm sure somebody will buy one
Originally Posted by opalfruit

In this Concorde watch, they've stuffed two quartz movements into the one case, so you don't really have a GMT watch here - you simply have a watch case with two, completely separate, movements inside. Laughable, and the kind of stuff that any watch manufacturer worth their salt would steer well clear of.
Somehow I think the multiple movements are the reason this monstrosity has a diameter that's larger than my wrist Not to mention, why does this watch need to be water resistant to 10 atm? Most "designer" (for lack of a better term, watches in this price range as opposed to luxury watches) stop at 3, and this isn't touted as a high-performing (diving or otherwise) watch to begin with.

And that's before you even get into the design, which is amateur at best. Ł299? I, in all honesty, wouldn't pay Ł2.99 for it. It's worthless trash.
Don't forget the 25-page booklet of Concorde photos and the signed authenticity card!

The idea (titanium from the engine, 3458 miles between LHR & JFK, "design" inspiration...) is good but the execution is poor
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by mattking2000
Somehow I think the multiple movements are the reason this monstrosity has a diameter that's larger than my wrist
I'm not sure, the Ronda 751/753 movements are only 15.5mm x 13mm - you could probably fit 3 comfortably in that 48mm case. Hey, BA, why not track a third timezone too!?

I predict when one opens the back of this watch, they will see a plastic, or perhaps lead-alloy (for weight!) shim holding the two movements in place, with one battery for each movement. I'd love to be proven wrong, and that this was a horological marvel, and worth every penny to a collector, but I strongly doubt it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Why would we buy that hideous thing when Omega does very nice watches which are more practical? I hereby formally request a visa to visit the planet BA is on, or, if they are on Earth, I hereby formally request the name of the surely-illegal substances the people who thought of that watch were sniffing.

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:13 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I'm not sure, the Ronda 751/753 movements are only 15.5mm x 13mm - you could probably fit 3 comfortably in that 48mm case. Hey, BA, why not track a third timezone too!?

I predict when one opens the back of this watch, they will see a plastic, or perhaps lead-alloy (for weight!) shim holding the two movements in place, with one battery for each movement. I'd love to be proven wrong, and that this was a horological marvel, and worth every penny to a collector, but I strongly doubt it.
or use the extra space to add more dials with other functions, they could call them complications! Imagine having to replace each function on these... "now which battery do I replace?

If it were truly a horrorlogi horological marvel, I suspect they'd focus most of their efforts on detailing the innards, and not the luxury giftbox it comes in...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
*Drool* The Ceragold PO chrono is a beautiful thing. So very want.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Was it this one Jimmie76?

Rather retro!

Yeah that's it - I'll stick to my Pulsar and Parnis thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:51 pm

I quite like this new Concorde watch; the two pictures of the aeroplane are nice and the whole thing is well designed. After a bottle and a half of booze on the plane I could be tempted.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
Why would we buy that hideous thing when Omega does very nice watches which are more practical? I hereby formally request a visa to visit the planet BA is on, or, if they are on Earth, I hereby formally request the name of the surely-illegal substances the people who thought of that watch were sniffing
Dean, that watch costs Ł20,000. It's infinitely less 'practical' than the Concorde monstrosity, unless you're hoping to get mugged. As an owner of four Omega watches myself, though, I can't argue that it's considerably 'nicer'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.