Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Band 1 redemptions for USA domestic flights will be priced as Band 2 from 02 Feb 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From BA.com (28 October 2015)

On 2 February 2016, we’ll be making some changes to the Executive Club pricing structure for reward flights originating or terminating in the United States of America.

The change will only affect shorter routes on American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and TAM Airlines with reward flights now starting from 7,500 Avios, rather than 4,500 Avios, plus taxes, fees and carrier charges from $5.60 USD. The majority of North American reward flight prices will remain unchanged.

Take a look at the examples in the table below to see how our pricing structure will change.

Source: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...reward-flights (thanks KARFA)

For more information on redeeming awards in North America, see Using BA Avios for Awards on AA / US (merged threads).
Print Wikipost

Band 1 redemptions for USA domestic flights will be priced as Band 2 from 02 Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Amen -->
Originally Posted by vibguy
This is another enhancement that the usual BA defenders here will explain as very positive because it could have been much worse.
I happen to have a lot of regular destinations between 550 and 650 miles, and they are always at least $300 round trip. So this was a huge deal for me... I just got back from a trip from Texas to Iowa with my wife, toddler and infant. It cost 27k miles RT and about $30. Same trip now costs 45k, roughly the same using AA miles on Citi reduced mileage awards.

I booked over 30 flights at the 4,500 rate in the past 2 years, and another 3-4 in F. So I saved probably $10-15k. Time to book another 20-30 awards before Feb. 1st!

Hate to see it go but was nice while it lasted... for two CC sign-ups, over $20,000 in mainly Y flights aint bad!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by wiivile
Yes, I'd often rather take Megabus (especially with their $1 fares) or Amtrak (if it's reasonably priced) than redeem 4,500 Avios and $5.60 to go from NYC to Philadelphia or Boston or DC. Why? Because it takes an hour to get to the airport from Manhattan, and hour to fly, an hour to get from the airport, etc, etc., when the bus/train goes from city center to city center and takes ~2 hours to/from Phila. and ~4 hours to/from Boston/DC. You're not saving that much time. I'd rather save my Avios for routes where flying is the only option.

And I do think it will increase sAAver availability because virtually no one on AAdvantage was redeeming 12.5k miles for LGA-DCA sAAver redemption, for example (terrible value). Certainly not 20k for a standard redemption.
I've taken Megabus BOS-NYC and have also redeemed Avios for the Shuttle. Love flying so Shuttle is preferred option, even if total travel time comes out roughly even, and even then redeemed only because I had plenty of Avios to burn.

But BOS-DCA? Talk about a nightmarish drive - it's through the most densely populated section of the country. If not done in the middle of the night, it can take 9 hours door to door, so here flying over driving is probably the single best instance of time cost savings in the USA. Will miss those 4500 redemptions, but as I'm over leveraged somewhat in Chase UR I suppose I could redeem BOS-BWI instead (though at a fixed, and not nearly as lucrative, redemption value).
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Yes, I'd often rather take Megabus (especially with their $1 fares) or Amtrak (if it's reasonably priced) than redeem 4,500 Avios and $5.60 to go from NYC to Philadelphia or Boston or DC. Why? Because it takes an hour to get to the airport from Manhattan, and hour to fly, an hour to get from the airport, etc, etc., when the bus/train goes from city center to city center and takes ~2 hours to/from Phila. and ~4 hours to/from Boston/DC. You're not saving that much time. I'd rather save my Avios for routes where flying is the only option.

And I do think it will increase sAAver availability because virtually no one on AAdvantage was redeeming 12.5k miles for LGA-DCA sAAver redemption, for example (terrible value). Certainly not 20k for a standard redemption.
Yeah, I think we can just chalk this up to being to each their own. I'm just not a bus person. The idea of queuing on the street and getting motion sick trying to read on board while stuck in traffic on the NJT is exactly the type of nightmare that inspires me to work hard so I have other travel options.

Back to the point - I don't think AA's shuttle redemption are bad values, certainly not in Y. A $300 o/w ticket on the Shuttle is quite common. 12.5K is a very good value for that. I certainly have redeemed for them.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I seriously doubt that this will have much (if any) positive impact for customers looking for increased award availability on AA metal using BA points. As it is, award availability on AA metal has been gamed big time by AA management in order to devalue AA miles. And my bet is that AA will further tighten the screws on award availability even after this.
Availability is down because load factors are up. They are trying to game the inventory to sell seats, not devalue the program. AA is known for having much more sophisticated revenue management systems than US - this is why there is a change on LUS routes.

But I think we can agree, this BAEC change will have next to know impact on AA mileage availability.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:25 am Reason: Combine posts. Please use multi-post when replying to two separate posts
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by sts603
Yeah, I think we can just chalk this up to being to each their own. I'm just not a bus person. The idea of queuing on the street and getting motion sick trying to read on board while stuck in traffic on the NJT is exactly the type of nightmare that inspires me to work hard so I have other travel options.
Sure, the bus isn't for everyone, but what's wrong with Amtrak? I would always prefer Amtrak to flying LGA-DCA.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:04 am

This was a pretty big bummer to see this AM. I'm military and one of the amazing privileges we get is taking space available hops. BA 4500 rewards were helpful in my strategy it get close to home in the US and hopefully take a cheap reward flight last minute back home. Guess the minimum will probably be 10K UA reward for these cases.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Sure, the bus isn't for everyone, but what's wrong with Amtrak? I would always prefer Amtrak to flying LGA-DCA.
Agreed. Mine too. I rarely fly LGA-DCA, more often LGA-BOS. And in the evenings, I think the upgrade to First is worth it for the open bar
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Keep in mind that there are 3 devaluations together over the past 12 months that make this a much bigger devaluation:

* decrease in avios earned on cheaper economy fares
* decrease in avios earned via Chase for non-BA spend from 1.25 avios to 1 avios per dollar spent
* increase in avios needed for band 1 NA flights

And of course this is only for sAAver level availability, of which AA has reduced availability.

Based in PHX, we've made use of avios for a domestic journey exactly once, as the availability is usually not there when we need it. We had a last minute trip, PHX-RNO. Availability was only in F, so we spent 72000 avios for the 1.5 hour flight for two adults, two kids, and a baby. It was still a better value than the $400/person cash fare, but at the new rates cash might have been a better value.

I'm guessing the new rates can allow BA to offer specials when they feel like it, eg offer a reduced rate closer to the current rate, but only when it suits them rather than all the time.

Regardless, it's yet another step in slowly boiling away the perks of the program.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
You don't understand it because most likely you haven't been in the position to redeem North American awards. As many have posted, the issue is that for connecting itineraries, you have at least 2 segments, i. e. a minimum of 15,000 avios, which is more than the flat 12,500 American requires for all North American awards, regardless of number of connections, i. e. 0, 1, 2, etc. Thus, an Avios redemption on AA or AS is ONLY a good idea if you can find a non-stop flight to your destination, which can be impossible for many depending on where they are located. And those carriers generally make available connecting itineraries more available than non-stop flights as they usually command a premium. Thus, with a redemption in Y realistically costing more than what AA charges and the same goes for F redemptions, the BA programs became a lot less attractive for US residents. I got a BA card last year for the bonus Avios just for these short-haul redemptions but come renewal time, I'll cancel it as the reason I got it is going away. Yes, 7,500 is not much worse but in the grand scheme of things, it's a major change.
Exactly. Also availability on BA is far worse. I was looking for BOS - ATL and couldn't find any availability on BA in coach and there is availability in F for 38,000 Avios (I can buy economy ticket for $140). American has number of flights for 12.5K. I would rather prefer revenue based than pay fuel surcharges.

If its not for OW, I will never fly BA.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sts603
Availability is down because load factors are up. They are trying to game the inventory to sell seats, not devalue the program. AA is known for having much more sophisticated revenue management systems than US - this is why there is a change on LUS routes.

But I think we can agree, this BAEC change will have next to know impact on AA mileage availability.
They gamed the award inventory to devalue the program. The transition to more than two tier award ticket pricing in each class of service was a scheme deliberately conceived and pursued to reduce the costs of redemption tickets and maximize revenue collected from all paid tickets regardless of point of sale/sales agent -- that includes BA award tickets for AA/US metal flights.

Originally Posted by dylanks
Keep in mind that there are 3 devaluations together over the past 12 months that make this a much bigger devaluation:

* decrease in avios earned on cheaper economy fares
* decrease in avios earned via Chase for non-BA spend from 1.25 avios to 1 avios per dollar spent
* increase in avios needed for band 1 NA flights

And of course this is only for sAAver level availability, of which AA has reduced availability.

Based in PHX, we've made use of avios for a domestic journey exactly once, as the availability is usually not there when we need it. We had a last minute trip, PHX-RNO. Availability was only in F, so we spent 72000 avios for the 1.5 hour flight for two adults, two kids, and a baby. It was still a better value than the $400/person cash fare, but at the new rates cash might have been a better value.

I'm guessing the new rates can allow BA to offer specials when they feel like it, eg offer a reduced rate closer to the current rate, but only when it suits them rather than all the time.

Regardless, it's yet another step in slowly boiling away the perks of the program.
BA seems to be expediting the pace of devaluing BAEC compared to what has transpired in the course of the last fifteen years at least. Within the moving 18-months period, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 or more devaluation announcements end up being within the range of the new BAEC norm.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:24 am Reason: Combine posts. Please use multi-post when replying to two separate posts
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:13 am

The change will only affect shorter routes on American Airlines and Alaska Airlines,
wait, so YYZ-JFK on TAM will remain at 4500 Avios one-way for Y, 9K for J?
that'll be awesome!!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jerryhung
wait, so YYZ-JFK on TAM will remain at 4500 Avios one-way for Y, 9K for J?
that'll be awesome!!
Cute Brazilian flight attendants, too.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by andset1191
Ah but we enjoy earning F tier points!
damn right! 540 TP for a 800$ roundtrip, can't beat that.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They gamed the award inventory to devalue the program. The transition to more than two tier award ticket pricing in each class of service was a scheme deliberately conceived and pursued to reduce the costs of redemption tickets and maximize revenue collected from all paid tickets regardless of point of sale/sales agent -- that includes BA award tickets for AA/US metal flights.
Those are two separate things.

(1) Reducing saver award availability is consistent with fuller planes. Nothing more nothing less.

(2) Moving to the tiered AAnytime award system frankly made sense and seems entirely fair. The concept of taking a seat for free on a busy holiday travel day when fares are sky high should rationally cost more than redeeming a seat on a normal day.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by virtuo0
Exactly. Also availability on BA is far worse. I was looking for BOS - ATL and couldn't find any availability on BA in coach and there is availability in F for 38,000 Avios (I can buy economy ticket for $140). American has number of flights for 12.5K. I would rather prefer revenue based than pay fuel surcharges.

If its not for OW, I will never fly BA.
Availability is the same for saver award space between BA and AA. BA.com does not always find all connecting flight options.

BA has access to all AA MileSAAver award availability, so if you see it on AA.com (at MileSAAver rates) it can be booked through BA with avios.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by nux
Availability is the same for saver award space between BA and AA. BA.com does not always find all connecting flight options.

BA has access to all AA MileSAAver award availability, so if you see it on AA.com (at MileSAAver rates) it can be booked through BA with avios.
BA is showing the same exact flights as available in F and not available in Y. I tried segments and it says no availability in Y.

Also sometimes BA says there is availability and it errors out in the last page when booking. I called BA and they said its "fake availability" and not bookable. Without multi city option its a pain to search individual segments.

Last edited by virtuo0; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.