Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier Point Changes - Flight already booked [TPs to SSH in CE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond

Sorry to raise another thread, (this was raised in the SSH one, but I guess not everybody has interest in that route! )

I'm looking for some advice on where I stand - At the moment I feel quite cheated, as BA's actions will scupper my route to retaining Silver, and the ET trips I booked I could have had in CE for the extra TP.

I have flights booked with BA in CE for a trip to SSH
When I booked this was a 140TP route so I would earn 280TP for the return trip to Egypt.

However since booking (2 months or so ago) the TPS this week have dropped to only 80TP each way!
This seems to be the case in both MMB and the Avios Calculator.

I would have traveled anyway, however I would not have booked/paid the extra £ for CE if this was the TP earning rate (WT was extremely cheap!).

I've sent a complaint to BA via email and Twitter they are yet to respond.

Anybody been in a similar situation? Where do I stand?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Hasn't SSH always been 80TP?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
There was certainly talk about it, so it was the same as Cairo.

However J to Cairo is long-haul business class and quite a bit more £.

I think it should be 80tps - ultra-long CE, like Canaries, Funchal etc. And similar price. However, when SSH was done originally by GB airways (ie short haul CE) then it had full J TPs then.

Its a shame you aren't getting the extra boost to your TPs, but its also a shame thats the only reason you booked it!

If you have evidence that it was 140tps when you booked you will probably get a reto-credit however.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:13 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
There is no WT on this route.
It is ET/CE (but ultra long CE at that!)
Therefore 80TP each way
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond
That might be the case, however inst the point I'm trying to make - When I booked the flights it was different tier points.

BA have moved the goalposts once flights have already been booked.

'The two longest routes included in Reward Flight Saver, to Moscow and Sharm el Sheikh, are treated as long-haul for the purposes of tier points. You will earn 280 tier points return.'

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/08...s-club-europe/
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...eik-route.html
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Hasn't SSH always been 80TP?
No, it was definitely 140 TPs to start with. I got this confirmed by the GGL team.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24517138-post29.html
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Perhaps you can ask Prospero where his table is sourced from in the Wiki (section 06 of Post #5) which clearly states LGW-SSH is treated as long-haul for the purposes of TPs. You could do with a BA source (i.e. not Raffles blog) in order to go back to them and request the 280 TPs once you have flown.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by konagirl2
Perhaps you can ask Prospero where his table is sourced from in the Wiki (section 06 of Post #5) which clearly states LGW-SSH is treated as long-haul for the purposes of TPs. You could do with a BA source (i.e. not Raffles blog) in order to go back to them and request the 280 TPs once you have flown.
I have it in writing from the GGL team. I asked them to double check as well as it is served by a shorthaul A320 aircraft, but they confimed 140 TPs each way. I can provide copies to the OP if necessary.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I have it in writing from the GGL team. I asked them to double check as well as it is served by a shorthaul A320 aircraft, but they confimed 140 TPs each way. I can provide copies to the OP if necessary.
Many thanks! - Will wait to see what happens ^
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The only other similar instance I can think off is when LCY-JFK went from 210 TP to 140TP. It was made clear when this change was announced that tickets paid for by a given date would earn 210TPs and itckets paid for after that date would earn 140TPs. BA was fairly good at implementing this although I do recall a few hiccups report here where a claim was required.

I believe the OP needs to determine the date the ticket was purchased and the date when the Tier Points changed. The issue here is where the original higher Tier Points can be found and getting BA to acknowledge that there was a change in TPs.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hello from a long time lurker!

I'm in the same boat as the OP, booked to SSH in CE in March 2016 as 280 Tier Points return would have considerably helped my renewal plans for Silver. (As my employer only pays for Y, renewing each year is a challenge, moreso with the April changes)

Very frustrating if the goalposts have moved with no announcement.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
In April (before the 28th) I booked a return for March 2016 in CE. My MMB initially showed 280 TPs but now shows 160 TPs (which is the amount for new bookings) but I understand BA will stick with the original 280.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
From experience I now take a screen shot from the TP calculator at the of booking. I keep the doc until the TPs are credited and properly reconciled:-)
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:42 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
This says 140 each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.