Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rollout of Altéa's FLY - new Departure Control System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
List of Stations that have cut over to FLY, this is a community resource, please feel free to edit with any Information you may have.

RED indicates station has a due date to cut over to FLY. Please see bottom of Wiki for expected cut over dates.

MAGENTA indicates offline station which uses alternative system linked into FLY.

UK&I
ABZ BHD CBG
EDI GLA HUY
INV IOM JER
LBA LCY LGW
MAN NCL STN

LHR Migration
ABV ABZ ACC ADB AGP AMM AMS ARN ATH ATL AUH AUS BAH BCN BGO BHD
BIA BIO BIQ BKK BLL BLQ BLR BOM BOS BRU BSL BUD BWI CAI CDG CFU
CHQ CPH CPT CTU DEL DEN DFW DME DOH DUB DUS DXB EDI EWR EZE FAO
FCO FRA FSC GCM GIB GIG GLA GOT GRU GVA HAJ HAM HEL HKG HND HYD
IAD IAH IBZ ICN INV IST JED JFK JMK JNB JTR KBP KEF KGS KLX KRK KUL
KWI LAD LAS LAX LBA LCA LED LIN LIS LOS LPA (IB) LUX LXS LYS MAA
MAD (BA & IB) MAH MAN MCT MEX MIA MRS MUC MXP NAS NBO NCE NCL
NRT OLB ORD ORY OSL OTP OVD (IB) PEK PHL PHX PMI (BA & IB) PMO PRG
PSA PVG PVK RHO RUH SAN SEA SFO SIN SJC SOF SPU STR SVG SYD
TFN (IB) TLS TLV TXL VCE VIE WAW YUL YVR YYC YYZ ZAG ZRH

**All T3 & T5 flights migrated to FLY**

Charter flights (eg, CFU) may appear twice for the charter organiser and BA controlled.

Europe
AAL AAR ACE
AGP ALC AMS
ANE ARN ATH
BCN BGO BIO
BIQ BJV BLL
BLQ BMA BOD
BRI BRU BSL
BUD CAG CDG
CFU CHQ CPH
CTA DBV DME
DLM DUB DUS
EGC FAO FCO
FLR FNC FRA
FUE GIB GOA
GOT GRX GVA
GYD HAJ HAM
HEL HER IBZ
IST JMK JTR
KBP KEF KGX
KLX KRK LCA
LED LIN LIS
LUX LYS MAD
MAH MLA MRS
MUC MXP NCE
OLB OPO ORY
OSL OTP PFO
PMI PMO PRG
PSA RHO RTM
SKG SNN SOF
SPU STR SVG
SVQ SZG TFS
TIA TLS TRN
TXL UIP VCE
VIE VLC VRN
WAW ZAG ZRH

North America/Central Am/Caribbean
ANU ATL AUS
BDA BGI BOS
BWI CUN DEN
DFW EWR GCM
GND IAD IAH
JFK KIN LAS
LAX MCO MEX
MIA NAS ORD
PHL PHX PLS
POS PUJ SAN
SEA SFO SJC
SJO SKB TAB
TPA UVF YUL
YVR YYC YYZ

South America
EZE GIG GRU
LIM

Middle East/South Asia
AUH AMM BAH
BEY BLR BOM
DEL DOH DXB
HYD JED KWI
MAA MCT RUH
TLV

Far East/Oceania
BKK CTU HKG
HND ICN KUL
NRT PEK PVG
SIN SYD

Africa
ABV ACC ALG
CAI CPT DUR
HRE JNB LAD
LOS LVI MRU
NBO PLZ RAK
VFA WDH

Updated weekly:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-es/...in/new-systems

11 May DXB
12 May BOS, GLA, IAD
17 May BCN, EWR, FCO, MAD
19 May ANE (Angers), EDI, GRX (Granada), LAX, MAN, STN, UIP (Quimper)
23 May BAH, DOH, AUH, MCT
24 May SIN, SYD
25 May GCM, NAS

28 May DLM
30 May BJV
31 May FLR, JFK (BA178 only)
02 Jun JFK (All)
07 Jun MAD
14 Jun BRU
27 Jun CAG

Cagliari was the final station to migrate to FLY.

GYD route suspended.

Remaining flights will be FLY enabled upon commencement/resumption :
FDH (Friedrichshafen) : Resumes 10 Dec 2016
GNB : Resumes 10 Dec 2016
IKA : Route begins 14 Jul 2016 delayed to 01 Sep 2016
INN : Resumes 04 Dec 2016
MLE : Resumes 31 Oct 2016
SCL : Route begins 03 Jan 2017
SSH : Unclear whether this route will relaunch *ROUTE INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED*

Some of the process changes visible to the passenger when a flight is to depart from an airport that has changed to FLY:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Print Wikipost

Rollout of Altéa's FLY - new Departure Control System

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this any worse than when other airlines have introduced it?
If other airlines have done this and had these kind of problems then it should be far better as Amadeus should haven't learnt from their mistakes!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this any worse than when other airlines have introduced it?
FLY is bespoke to BA. It sits on top of Amadeus Altéa, which is used by other airlines, but BA is the only one with FLY.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
FLY is bespoke to BA. It sits on top of Amadeus Altéa, which is used by other airlines, but BA is the only one with FLY.
But the system failures that are happening are presumably of the Altea system, not just the custom BA interface? Or, at least, that was my assumption.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:47 pm

But the system failures that are happening are presumably of the Altea system, not just the custom BA interface? Or, at least, that was my assumption.
All the problems are with the FLY interface. The Altea platform is actually quite stable and robust.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wythy
All the problems are with the FLY interface. The Altea platform is actually quite stable and robust.
Remind me, why did BA need to put a bespoke front end on to Altea?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
They're probably convinced they're special and need special software.

A lot of companies who aren't actually that special still demand changes or layers on top of already flexible ERP software because they're convinced they need distinctive features or are otherwise special - when they're not.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:19 pm

They're definitely special... In some form of the definition.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by dylanks
I assume he means https://www.sita.aero/ , which builds a lot of airline technology systems.
I was thinking that SITA mainly provided an private computing network between aviation manufacturers and airlines. I remember having set up some of my networking to go over SITA back in the day. It was a lot faster than the public Internet. Do they have a product that's an alternative to FLY?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:17 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flatlander
They're probably convinced they're special and need special software.

A lot of companies who aren't actually that special still demand changes or layers on top of already flexible ERP software because they're convinced they need distinctive features or are otherwise special - when they're not.
I'm surprised they took the custom approach because most CIOs are aware that least customisation is the path to best success. And I would assume that since many airlines use the software there is a good feedback loop that new features are readily available. By using the custom approach BA have painted themselves into the costly corner of reinventing the wheel for every feature request.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by wythy
+1.

Rollouts are almost never entirely smooth, but BA's insistence on having its own bespoke version of Altea is really the one to blame for the scale of the cluster**** this turned out to be.

Countless airlines have now switched over to Altea and I have yet to hear of a more botched job than this.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm surprised they took the custom approach because most CIOs are aware that least customisation is the path to best success. And I would assume that since many airlines use the software there is a good feedback loop that new features are readily available. By using the custom approach BA have painted themselves into the costly corner of reinventing the wheel for every feature request.
Hahaha, that's a funny one. Most sales people do a good job of convincing corpoate customers that they are special and their needs are special and thus in need of significant customisation. Ask anyone who's had to try to integrate and standardise systems after the fact.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by stargold
+1.

Rollouts are almost never entirely smooth, but BA's insistence on having its own bespoke version of Altea is really the one to blame for the scale of the cluster**** this turned out to be.

Countless airlines have now switched over to Altea and I have yet to hear of a more botched job than this.
It does sound like they're messing things up a bit at BA going bespoke. I've worked somewhere (non travel industry related job) where we switched to a new supplier software provider because the CTO liked the company. Many people were against this move and vocally said so, but it didn't help. Much was promised about how smoothly their new package was when running, how it was more powerful and flexible than anything else we could get. So off we go with a test rollout to three locations and people are told there will be extensive training. During these education sessions people asked about functionality that existed in the previous system that appeared to be missing, only to be told it doesn't exist with this new system.

Comparable functionality that did exist was crippled in comparison and/or less powerful. some of the GUI was just there for show and had animations on certain actions that seemed pointless and could slow down the system. This was designed for the US market and anyone else who took the product was essentially stuck with that. Modifications were not made unless mission critical and we were charged a small fortune for them to be developed. They then normally came in the form of a small extra program that you had to have running as well as everything else. Early on I spoke to one of their tech people who was passing my desk and said I needed to see the raw data file for a particular item. I was told that was easy to do, so easy in fact that 30 minutes later and three phone calls had not produced the file. I never found out if you could actually access the file because their UK office hadn't got a clue how to find them.

It was such a backwards step that of the three places that were using it in anger (and that's really what I mean, in anger and disgust) as the starter rollout:
One had it ripped out completely after 6 months.
One pleaded to get rid of it and eventually had it removed after about a year and a half when they moved.
One soldiered on because in that case it wasn't so easy to switch and actually on one level did make some sense in that one location.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Remind me, why did BA need to put a bespoke front end on to Altea?
Where software is not configurable to meet the specific needs of an organisations processes, they have two options. They either change their processes so that they can use the software out of the box, or they customise the software so it fits with their processes.

It sounds like BA chose the latter, although companies often use such projects as a motivation to also optimise/re-engineer some of their processes. That's the route I'd expect most global organisations to take.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:56 am

Knowing the sheer breadth of the functionality offered by the Altea Suite, which has been constantly developing over a number of years as more and more airlines have joined and contributed their own set of requirements and scenarios, I would be interested to hear whether there was genuinely something unique that BA required which has not been required for any other airline so far, and this aspect was so fundamental that it required the extensive customisation which seems to have made something of a fiasco with the rollout. One only hopes that performance will improve once things have settled down, and that the issues are not inherent to the FLY customisations.

One of the obvious exceptions to this is when a new language had to be added - for example, when OZ joined, they had to work on a module to allow the usage of Korean characters in Altea. Same for Chinese characters when BR joined.

Otherwise, I would imagine that there isn't a lot that Amadeus have yet to experience/provide in the GDS/DCS/Airline IT technology realm.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
Seat maps in FLY

As flights cut over to FLY (all flights Worldwide will be completed by August 2016) you will start to see a change in the seatmaps from -72 hrs. Historically at -72hrs you could see all seats that were not occupied, but now at -72hrs you will start to see a lot of restricted seats and this is due to a process called ‘Theoretical seating’.

•Any seat with a T or / symbol – should be considered as occupied. These seats are being held for high value customers who just haven’t checked in or had a seat assigned yet.
•Key to FLY is recognising premium customers. We will only reserve seats for premium customers and protect seats for unallocated customers with special requirements who really need them (WCHC, BSCT, INFT, PETC, BULK, CBBG, DEPA, DEPU, UMNR, DIPH, MEDA, Prem, Gold, Emerald, Silver, Sapphire, J, C, Y fares, BLND, EXST, CHLD, DEAF, DSAB, WCHS, Groups over 10).
•If we override T or / seats we may be displacing any of the above customers if they haven’t had their seats allocated for any particular reason (i.e.: late bookings)

To ensure our premium passengers and paid seating revenue is not impacted please adhere to the following:
•Prem/Gold/Silver Execs can obtain free seating from the time of booking, for themselves and all passengers within their booking (max of 7)
•We have identified an increase in the no. of seats taken by passengers that are no longer traveling with the Exec member and this is taking away choice from BA’s high yield passengers
•Should the Exec member date change, be divided from the original booking and therefore no longer be on the same flight as the other passengers, then all seat numbers for the non-Execs should be removed
•Passengers that are no longer travelling with the Prem/Gold/Silver should have seats removed and take part in ‘Paid Seating’.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.