FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1715551-ba-how-many-bags-can-you-see-passengers-boarding-thread.html)

PETER01 Oct 9, 15 7:40 am

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

There has always been a lot of complaints on here about passengers boarding with far more than the required amount of bags allowed, taking up more than their fair share of overhead lockers etc and that includes 'roll ons' which are actually suitcases.

So, I thought it might be an idea for members to post their experiences and post

1) what they see whilst waiting to board

or

2) whilst on board waiting to depart.

I'm also interested in seeing if certain routes are flagged up way more than others. Will BA do anything about that? We can live in hope!

Sizes of bags, 'roll ons' are of course important and it goes without saying any stories are very welcome. :)

You can just make it simple such as:

[LHR - EDI - BA Flight Number]

South London Bon Viveur Oct 9, 15 7:45 am

Flying to MUC ex LHR last week I was amused to see someone trying to fit a suitcase the size of a large fridge/small whale into the overhead compartments. The crew were unfailingly polite and helpful (much more so than I would have been) to help stow it , though I am not sure if they managed in the end. How the hell that bag got past gate staff I will never know!!

PETER01 Oct 9, 15 7:48 am

Thanks Southlondonbonviveur and that's the kind of story I was wanting to hear etc.

escape2sun Oct 9, 15 7:48 am

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

On my last flight from AMS in ET, there was one guy boarding close to the end with

1. Laptop bag
2. Brief case
3. A large weekend case
4. A man bag
5. 2-bags of duty free
6. A large coat

He then complained to the CC that all the overhead locker space had gone

paul4040 Oct 9, 15 8:07 am

On a recent jaunt from Paris, a gentleman with:

Laptop bag
Cabin bag
Suit carrier
2 x bags of duty free rubbish.

skba1 Oct 9, 15 8:17 am

From my own experience it is not generally that bad - but sure I have occasionally been guilty of things like:

Laptop bag, Carry-on + suit carrier
Laptop bag, Carry-on + duty free

One thing to remember though is that I sometimes travel with double carry-on's on connecting flights for LH premium cabins, which is allowed.

opalfruit Oct 9, 15 8:20 am

I predict this will be a popular thread.

My personal record is spotting a guy with a max-size rollaboard, with a max-size backpack stacked on top of it, held in place on the rollaboard's retractable handle, with another max-size backpack on his back and carrying a middle sized holdall in his other hand! This was on a LHR-AMS sector a year or two ago - so before the new rules, but still way, way over the limits.

He didn't have to check a single thing, people boarding later couldn't find overhead space and the crew had to juggle bags around to fit everyone in. Some people just have no shame.

I wish I'd taken a photo.

Kungpo Oct 9, 15 8:24 am

I find it incredible just how much stuff people take on board (and get away with it) - typically it seems to be a massive roll on, huge hand bag plus backpack, duty free etc.

Personally I want to carry as little as possible - one backpack with laptop and essentials and perhaps some duty free (I usually get my fags and booze on board as I can't be doing with airport shopping).

1HourPhoto Oct 9, 15 8:47 am

A lady on a recent LHR-MAN flight I was on.

1 cabin bag.

1 hand bag.

3 rather large Gucci shopping bags.

HIDDY Oct 9, 15 8:58 am

Originally Posted by skba1 (Post 25539952)

One thing to remember though is that I sometimes travel with double carry-on's on connecting flights for LH premium cabins, which is allowed.

I never knew that. I thought the hand baggage allowance was the same for everyone no matter which class of cabin you were in.

missdimeaner Oct 9, 15 9:26 am

AMS - LGW Sept 21st ,watched a young man board with such a massive hold-all you could have put a small fridge in it, he had to lift it quite high as it wouldn't fit down the aisle. Oh, and he had a smaller bag and airport shopping bag.
The large bag must have completely filled an overhead locker - he was seated too far back for me to see.

Oaxaca Oct 9, 15 9:30 am

Originally Posted by skba1 (Post 25539952)
From my own experience it is not generally that bad - but sure I have occasionally been guilty of things like:

Laptop bag, Carry-on + suit carrier
Laptop bag, Carry-on + duty free

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25540102)
I never knew that. I thought the hand baggage allowance was the same for everyone no matter which class of cabin you were in.

Perhaps LH means Lufty in this case rather than BA long haul, as they do allow extra pieces in premium cabins. Still doesn't mean it's allowed on a connecting flight with BA though...

MM00LL2 Oct 9, 15 9:54 am

What I'll never understand is why people still haven't realised that there's a much room under the seat infront than they'll ever find in the overhead bin. Maybe I've just spent too much time on FR! Unless I'm in the Exit row I never attempt to put my rucksack anywhere other than under the seat infront.

Yesitsme Oct 9, 15 9:55 am

You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat :)
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.

ScruttonStreet Oct 9, 15 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Yesitsme (Post 25540364)
You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat :)
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.

I am very pleased to hear this - I wish more of your colleagues were like this