Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

Old Oct 9, 15, 12:51 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Purim View Post

I think these types of passengers are too easy a punch bag - and some subjective info might relieve them of criticism.
There isn't a problem if the items are gate checked, though. US carriers do it very well; BA less so (staff contributors to this thread excepted! ).
Old Oct 9, 15, 2:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
That's a lot of grey leisure pants!
I hope there's space for a burgundy pair.
Old Oct 9, 15, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
If you want to see excessive luggage then all you have to o is take a flight to West Africa. My usual trip to Accra can be a nightmare, the gate staff are usually pretty good at combing the gate area for large bags and gate checking them.

In some ways this annoys me as all the regular travellers know this so are basically just adding to their baggage allowance free of charge.

The worst excess I have witnessed was a few years ago (not on BA) where the airline manager came up to me to apologise the delayed departure telling me that the final passenger had finally arrived at the gate with 2 large suitcases and 16 bags from Duty Free. He then proceeded to scream at the gate staff when he was told he would not be taking that lot onto the aircraft. The end was very sweet as the airline were already searching for his baggage in the hold, it was found before he finished screaming so he was removed from the flight!
Old Oct 9, 15, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
^

AMS has cropped up a few times already. I wonder from those who are frequent flyers and regulars here what BA routes might be the worst?
Sometime last year we did a trial where, if we took a non-compliant bag from a connecting pax at Ready to Fly in T5, we had to note where they'd flown in from. From memory, the majority of big/ extra hand baggage were inbound from the USA.
Old Oct 9, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Sometime last year we did a trial where, if we took a non-compliant bag from a connecting pax at Ready to Fly in T5, we had to note where they'd flown in from. From memory, the majority of big/ extra hand baggage were inbound from the USA.
The majority of offenders I see on UK domestics are British tourists returning home with vast amounts of shopping and duty free bags, along with various items of "ethnic" tourist tat.
Old Oct 9, 15, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
I hope there's space for a burgundy pair.
I am now in my dark blue period.
Old Oct 10, 15, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
One chancer from last night, DUB-LCY

http://imgur.com/IsTE1gA

All credit to the gate staff though, who made him check the rollaboard.
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
I'm surprised at your claim that the AB product is 'non existent' as I thoroughly enjoyed the huge roll and soft drink I was served on a Palma to Stuttgart flight. The bread was so chewy it took me most of the flight to get through it and I'm sure I burnt off more calories eating it than I gained from the food!

As for the passengers.... They burst into a round of applause as we touched down, which REALLY confused my kids... Not even sure you get that on a Ryanair flight.
The free catering consisted of dry bread rolls with nothing inside (but nice German ones called Laugenstange) or sweet Manner waffles. They ran out of rolls real quick, so there were just sweet (vanilla) waffles left. Rubbish for a 4 hour flight. The LCCs are the clear winner here. I'd have thought a filled roll would be offered for such a long flight. PMI to STR must be in the 1h40 range. Condor (DE) offer a filled roll on the same routes, Germany to Canary Islands and vv.

It's normally Hispanics and Latin Americans who do that applauding thing, you don't usually get it on European flights.
Old Oct 11, 15, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I am not wearing my surprised face as I read this.
Old Oct 11, 15, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I fly reasonably frequently across Europe on BA and I'm often on flights that consist of waiting for hand luggage to be stowed before we can push back.

On my trips I usually pack a small bag that goes under the seat infront. Rarely I'm away for a few nights more and I need to pack a small rollaboard, but then I only take that and not the smaller bag.

MUC - I have routinely found to be full of pax with a rollaboard and laptop bag each as minimum, then add duty free. There just isn't the space for everyone to do so. I have been onboard a MUC flight and lost a slot before while waiting for bags to be stowed.

AMS & DUB are similar. Just way too many large cabin bags.

PRG - last time I flew this route I spotted a chap with a rollaboard + laptop bag + rucksack + duty free. Then.... he wife and kids appeared and they all had several bags too. watching them try and fit all these bags into the overhead actually became comical.

Returning from ARN last week, there was a family of four people and ALL of them had a rollaboard and a back pack - they couldn't fit it all in the overheads and asked the crew to store some bags upfront. The crew advised that they couldn't and extra bags had to be checked. They made it fit by moving someone else's bag. I despair

Off to BCN today, lets see what carnage awaits....
Old Oct 11, 15, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
I am now in my dark blue period.
Is this one of yours?

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3ec7b...#axzz3oGnNIcSG
Old Oct 11, 15, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Any other FTers aboard this afternoons BCN flight where the passenger managed to knock the front of the overhead bin clean off due to the weight of the large bag he was trying to stow?

Don't think I've ever seen that before
Old Oct 11, 15, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
YesItsMe and Flyer74 I salute you - we need more crew like you.
Old Oct 11, 15, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
One possible reason is that US carriers allow larger second bags than BA. AA says that your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on and be able to fit under the seat in front. A lot of people don't seem to read the second part and, until recently, there was not much check on the size of the carry-on either. All the major carriers seem to be tightening up so things may improve, but don't hold your breath.
Old Oct 11, 15, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
I predict this will be a popular thread.
Yeah, maybe we should add a wiki.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: