Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

Old Oct 9, 15, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post
Perhaps LH means Lufty in this case
I see. ^

That's the fault of the lazy **** who started using LH for long haul on this forum.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 9, 15 at 3:44 pm Reason: Potty mouth
Old Oct 9, 15, 10:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Yesitsme View Post
You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.
^

AMS has cropped up a few times already. I wonder from those who are frequent flyers and regulars here what BA routes might be the worst?
Old Oct 9, 15, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
On London to Paris hops (n both directions) I often see some very heavy laden individuals, way over allowances with shopping usually rather than hand luggage
Old Oct 9, 15, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.
I approve! BA needs more people like you!
Old Oct 9, 15, 11:40 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I see. ^

That's the fault of the lazy **** who started using LH for long haul on this forum.
Annoys me a wee bit too. If I refer to Long Haul I tend to type L/H so that there is a little bit of a noticable difference in what is being referred to.

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 9, 15 at 5:30 pm Reason: Amend quotation
Old Oct 9, 15, 11:51 am

Same here, anything which looks oversized gets sent back to the node/ Gate to see if it fits I the gauge, same when someone comes on with more than the allowance (in excess of 2 items)- I invite them to go back up to the node/Gate to have an item checked into the hold.
No arguments over already tagged items, they have been tagged for the reason.

I have not been the most popular on boarding for those reasons but it's simply not fair on those who comply to the cabin baggage regulations and then don't have space for their belongings.
Old Oct 9, 15, 11:52 am

LGW routes that are problematic in regards to handluggage: Italian routes, especially in winter. KIN - all year round. There are a few more, but my mind's gone blank.
Old Oct 9, 15, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Flier74 View Post
Same here, anything which looks oversized gets sent back to the node/ Gate to see if it fits I the gauge, same when someone comes on with more than the allowance (in excess of 2 items)- I invite them to go back up to the node/Gate to have an item checked into the hold.
No arguments over already tagged items, they have been tagged for the reason.

I have not been the most popular on boarding for those reasons but it's simply not fair on those who comply to the cabin baggage regulations and then don't have space for their belongings.
What I'd like to say to the passengers with too many items who argue about bringing it onboard is: "What makes you so special that you should be allowed to ignore the rules?". I'd never say it out loud, of course, but sometimes it's tempting....
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard

I have spotted someone looking like CWS carrying 3 weeks worth of clothes and work kit in a large squashyy bag! ;-)
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

They all fit.
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
The flaw in the premise of this thread is its objectivity. "Ha ha some some guy had a guitar case....some gal had tons of Gucci...can you adam and eve it?"

Some folks are connecting from Longhaul. Even the WTP bins on the A380 are vast. So it is not beyond the realms of possibility that some passenger recognized this fact or purchases duty free at that outstation and travelled seamlessly on the long haul leg - only then to realize the less accommodating size of an a319.

I think these types of passengers are too easy a punch bag - and some subjective info might relieve them of criticism.
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You should have seen my flights on airberlin from CGN to ACE (Lanzarote) and ACE to DUS last week: there was loads of space in the overhead lockers on almost full flights, one locker on the other side of the aisle had almost nothing in it! How can that be?

I must say that, despite airberlin's totally non-existent product and non-existent catering, their flights provide a really civilized travel experience. Pleasant, smooth and comfortable flights, friendly (usually) crews, no baggage problems. Polite and civilized fellow passengers, who wait for their group to be called rather than crowding the gate, who are a pleasure to share a flight with.

By the way, these were Avios redemptions, 10,000 miles each way with almost no tax.
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post

I must say that, despite airberlin's totally non-existent product and non-existent catering, their flights provide a really civilized travel experience. Pleasant, smooth and comfortable flights, friendly (usually) crews, no baggage problems. Polite and civilized fellow passengers, who wait for their group to be called rather than crowding the gate, who are a pleasure to share a flight with.
I'm surprised at your claim that the AB product is 'non existent' as I thoroughly enjoyed the huge roll and soft drink I was served on a Palma to Stuttgart flight. The bread was so chewy it took me most of the flight to get through it and I'm sure I burnt off more calories eating it than I gained from the food!

As for the passengers.... They burst into a round of applause as we touched down, which REALLY confused my kids... Not even sure you get that on a Ryanair flight.
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
On BA: 2 max-size wheelie + a laptop bag on a guy, ex-ZAG

On another carrier I cannot remember the identity of: 6 large supermarket carier bags (what the?!)
Old Oct 9, 15, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post

They all fit.
That's a lot of grey leisure pants!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: