FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1715551-ba-how-many-bags-can-you-see-passengers-boarding-thread.html)

HIDDY Oct 9, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 25540262)
Perhaps LH means Lufty in this case

I see. ^

That's the fault of the lazy **** who started using LH for long haul on this forum. :mad:

PETER01 Oct 9, 2015 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Yesitsme (Post 25540364)
You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat :)
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.

^

AMS has cropped up a few times already. I wonder from those who are frequent flyers and regulars here what BA routes might be the worst?

dnajockey Oct 9, 2015 9:29 am

On London to Paris hops (n both directions) I often see some very heavy laden individuals, way over allowances with shopping usually rather than hand luggage

flatlander Oct 9, 2015 10:16 am

You wouldn't see this kind of behaviour on my flights. Recently, two passengers boarded with a big guitar each, in the kind of case that can also carry 3 week's worth of clothes. Both guitars had been tagged. Full flight. I simply said we'll leave the guitars in the front galley until fully boarded and if there's room at the end they can be stowed in the cabin. Worked a treat :)
Anyone else who tries to board over the limit I ask them if they're traveling on their own (as in whether they're the family pack-horse or not). If they're on their own, I remind them politely of the allowance and ask them which one they'd like to put in the hold. Not everyone is agreeable to it, but it does work.

I approve! BA needs more people like you!

Saltire74 Oct 9, 2015 10:40 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25540460)
I see. ^

That's the fault of the lazy **** who started using LH for long haul on this forum. :mad:

Annoys me a wee bit too. If I refer to Long Haul I tend to type L/H so that there is a little bit of a noticable difference in what is being referred to.

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Flier74 Oct 9, 2015 10:51 am

Same here, anything which looks oversized gets sent back to the node/ Gate to see if it fits I the gauge, same when someone comes on with more than the allowance (in excess of 2 items)- I invite them to go back up to the node/Gate to have an item checked into the hold.
No arguments over already tagged items, they have been tagged for the reason.

I have not been the most popular on boarding for those reasons but it's simply not fair on those who comply to the cabin baggage regulations and then don't have space for their belongings.

Yesitsme Oct 9, 2015 10:52 am

LGW routes that are problematic in regards to handluggage: Italian routes, especially in winter. KIN - all year round. There are a few more, but my mind's gone blank.

Yesitsme Oct 9, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Flier74 (Post 25540903)
Same here, anything which looks oversized gets sent back to the node/ Gate to see if it fits I the gauge, same when someone comes on with more than the allowance (in excess of 2 items)- I invite them to go back up to the node/Gate to have an item checked into the hold.
No arguments over already tagged items, they have been tagged for the reason.

I have not been the most popular on boarding for those reasons but it's simply not fair on those who comply to the cabin baggage regulations and then don't have space for their belongings.

What I'd like to say to the passengers with too many items who argue about bringing it onboard is: "What makes you so special that you should be allowed to ignore the rules?". I'd never say it out loud, of course, but sometimes it's tempting....

chris1979 Oct 9, 2015 11:01 am

The BA " How Many Bags Can You See Passengers Boarding With " Thread

I have spotted someone looking like CWS carrying 3 weeks worth of clothes and work kit in a large squashyy bag! ;-)

henkybaby Oct 9, 2015 11:11 am

http://www.skyscanner.com/sites/com/...n-doorstep.jpg

They all fit. :)

Purim Oct 9, 2015 11:14 am

The flaw in the premise of this thread is its objectivity. "Ha ha some some guy had a guitar case....some gal had tons of Gucci...can you adam and eve it?"

Some folks are connecting from Longhaul. Even the WTP bins on the A380 are vast. So it is not beyond the realms of possibility that some passenger recognized this fact or purchases duty free at that outstation and travelled seamlessly on the long haul leg - only then to realize the less accommodating size of an a319.

I think these types of passengers are too easy a punch bag - and some subjective info might relieve them of criticism.

Concerto Oct 9, 2015 11:19 am

You should have seen my flights on airberlin from CGN to ACE (Lanzarote) and ACE to DUS last week: there was loads of space in the overhead lockers on almost full flights, one locker on the other side of the aisle had almost nothing in it! How can that be?

I must say that, despite airberlin's totally non-existent product and non-existent catering, their flights provide a really civilized travel experience. Pleasant, smooth and comfortable flights, friendly (usually) crews, no baggage problems. Polite and civilized fellow passengers, who wait for their group to be called rather than crowding the gate, who are a pleasure to share a flight with.

By the way, these were Avios redemptions, 10,000 miles each way with almost no tax.

Swiss Tony Oct 9, 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 25541050)

I must say that, despite airberlin's totally non-existent product and non-existent catering, their flights provide a really civilized travel experience. Pleasant, smooth and comfortable flights, friendly (usually) crews, no baggage problems. Polite and civilized fellow passengers, who wait for their group to be called rather than crowding the gate, who are a pleasure to share a flight with.

I'm surprised at your claim that the AB product is 'non existent' as I thoroughly enjoyed the huge roll and soft drink I was served on a Palma to Stuttgart flight. The bread was so chewy it took me most of the flight to get through it and I'm sure I burnt off more calories eating it than I gained from the food!

As for the passengers.... They burst into a round of applause as we touched down, which REALLY confused my kids... Not even sure you get that on a Ryanair flight.

LTN Phobia Oct 9, 2015 11:37 am

On BA: 2 max-size wheelie + a laptop bag on a guy, ex-ZAG

On another carrier I cannot remember the identity of: 6 large supermarket carier bags (what the?!)

Paralytic Oct 9, 2015 11:41 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 25541005)

That's a lot of grey leisure pants!