Flight Pass

Old Jun 26, 18, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by volar View Post
My bookings fail quite regularly, usually getting stuck on the payment page / card validation. Can you check whether any of your attempted bookings are listed as 'pending' on your account? If so, Optiontown will book these in due course. If not, try another browser, different computer or device (it works consistently OK on an iPhone for me, for example).

Regarding contact, yes it's difficult. They do respond to emails eventually and I also find that they are surprisingly consistent at calling me back if I've had a booking fail, although often the call is a couple of days later so that may not be much use if your need is urgent. Let us know how you get on!
I've tried on 2 laptops - multiple browsers on both and on iphone via browser and app. I was able to purchase the Flightpass ok (I presume that once that is done you dont need to go through payment/card validation) but it is the trying to search for flights with my pass that is running into something of a brick wall. The booking isn't quite urgent yet - I have a week before my first deadline of when I'll need to book by, I just hope the flights don't fill up!
Old Jun 26, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Watsono View Post
I've tried on 2 laptops - multiple browsers on both and on iphone via browser and app. I was able to purchase the Flightpass ok (I presume that once that is done you dont need to go through payment/card validation) but it is the trying to search for flights with my pass that is running into something of a brick wall. The booking isn't quite urgent yet - I have a week before my first deadline of when I'll need to book by, I just hope the flights don't fill up!
That's odd. I've just tested mine and I'm able to search and select flights and go all the way through to the payment page with no problems. Did you pay for the full pass up front or are you paying in instalments? If it's fully paid upfront, have they charged your card yet?

if you're trying to book and your deadline is at risk, save some screenshots of the error as I know they have shown flexibility in the past when a website error prevented a booking within the deadline.
Old Jun 27, 18, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by volar View Post

That's odd. I've just tested mine and I'm able to search and select flights and go all the way through to the payment page with no problems. Did you pay for the full pass up front or are you paying in instalments? If it's fully paid upfront, have they charged your card yet?

if you're trying to book and your deadline is at risk, save some screenshots of the error as I know they have shown flexibility in the past when a website error prevented a booking within the deadline.
I hit my daily limit of posts so had to wait to update. It looks like their system was sorted around 4pm (I don't know but it also seems like their customer service is working on a NA timezone, they became much more responsive in the afternoon) I'm all booked and have the tickets in MMB on BA.com now. That's good advice on the screenshots of errors, I'll have to remember if they have another glitch!
jerub and volar like this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:50 am

Optiontown BA - Outdated flightpasses for sale and new flights not for sale

I am thinking about using flight pass and I had a look at the website today. I find flight passes for sale for outdated routes which do not exist (London City - Aberdeen, London Heathrow to Stavanger), and I find no flight passes for routes which do exist (London City to Berlin Tegel). It seems that the routes on sale are based on BAs flight schedules from a few years ago.

What is primarily of interest to me is the Berlin route. Is anyone able to use Flight pass between London City and Berlin? If so, which Flight pass did you buy?
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Do domestic optiontown flightpass bookings still earn 10 tier points each flight?
Old Mar 5, 19, 4:54 am

Programs: na
Flighpass - up to date reviews

Hi All, I recently have been researching flight pass for a weekly commute however I can not get up to date reviews on this. Is it worth while or is it hard to use? Great to get opinions thanks!

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Interesting stuff. Who/what is optiontown? Can't say I've come across this name before.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ollie_h_6 View Post
Hi All, I recently have been researching flight pass for a weekly commute however I can not get up to date reviews on this. Is it worth while or is it hard to use? Great to get opinions thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ollie_h_6. I'm afraid I don't have any recent experiences to share here, but I have used them in the past without significant problems. The fact that the service is still provided is probably a testament to it having some value to both optiontown and BA.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ollie_h_6 View Post
The occasionally temperamental optiontown website and the usual lack of flexibility with booking via an OTA as opposed to direct with the airline aside, I was able to get tickets at a third of the price that I would have otherwise been able to for when I was travelling which made it well worth it to me.
Old Jun 25, 19, 2:50 am

Flight pass - (illegal?) credit card surcharges?

I've been using flight passes since they started, and have made some good savings this way. I generally pay for the flights I use in instalments (i.e. 'pay as you go' beyond an initial downpayment), which incurs a £5 administration fee per instalment. I've booked two return flights this week and noticed that Optiontown have charged me an additional £5 per booking, which was attached to the flight booking charge. So, lets say the fixed price for the flights is £160, and the admin charge is £5 - but what I'm seeing on my statement is a charge of £165 from BA.com and £5 from Optiontown. When I queried this they told me it's a 'surcharge for paying by credit card' but as far as I'm aware such charges have been banned since January 2018. I've pointed this out to them but their reply was that the whole thing is automated, the charges are as agreed in the T&Cs, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I wondered if anyone else had any experience of this recently? I don't remember the same thing happening last year.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:32 pm

I have booked twice with optiontown, this year and last year, each time they charge £5 credit card fee/service fee for using credit card , my first reaction was they shouldnít be charged then I thought this might be BA is charging optiontown as they are treating optiontown as corporate customer, didnít bother to ask exact reason anyway.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:35 pm

Recent experience

Does anyone have any recent experience of the flightpass product? I purchased a pass a couple of years ago and the website was fairly unreliable and we had to phone to make bookings.

A couple of specific questions:
- Does anyone have experience of using a pass with Children (>=2)? Presumably they simply receive an adult ticket. Does this cause any issues at OLCI?
- Are individual bookings created (and hence youíd need to ring in to complete a TCP) or can more than one passenger be included on a single booking?
- How does the Flexible payment plan option work if you donít use all of the flights (e.g. 14 flights out of 22)? Do you simply forfeit the initial payment or are you billed for the remainder?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 17, 19, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by EMA ON BA View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience of the flightpass product? I purchased a pass a couple of years ago and the website was fairly unreliable and we had to phone to make bookings.

A couple of specific questions:
- Does anyone have experience of using a pass with Children (>=2)? Presumably they simply receive an adult ticket. Does this cause any issues at OLCI?
- Are individual bookings created (and hence youíd need to ring in to complete a TCP) or can more than one passenger be included on a single booking?
- How does the Flexible payment plan option work if you donít use all of the flights (e.g. 14 flights out of 22)? Do you simply forfeit the initial payment or are you billed for the remainder?

Thanks in advance
I can perhaps help with some of this having used a number of flight passess over the last few years:

Website - now seems a lot better, and I've had no problems with bookings or payments failing recently.
Children - I can't help with this I'm afraid
Multiple passengers - assuming you have more than one person named on your flight pass, if you make a booking for several people in the same booking session (on the same flights, booked at the same time) then you will end up with a single booking with one PNR for all passengers.
Flexible payment plan - I'm about to find out about this, as I have some unused flights on a pass which is about to expire. The initial payment seems to be for 4 flights (so no additional payments are made when booking the final 4 on the pass). If there are more than 4 left unused at the end, I am fully prepared to pay for them if asked but I will provide an update once I find out what happens.

The other point about credit card surcharges I was moaning about upthread seems to have been resolved also - the latest pass I bought in August does not appear to include the surcharge any more.

I hope this helps. I've made some significant cost savings using these over the years and the process of booking now seems quite smooth.
Old Dec 17, 19, 7:32 am

^ Bump

Search this Thread
Search Engine: