FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   More comfortable clothing for long haul CW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1713804-more-comfortable-clothing-long-haul-cw.html)

rmac86 Oct 1, 2015 8:50 am

More comfortable clothing for long haul CW?

I’ve only flown CW once before (LHR-HKG on 388) and was unable to sleep properly due to not wearing loose enough clothing, everything else was good though. This didn’t put me off, as I’m flying CW again in next month. This time it’s to Singapore in November on the 744 and was thinking maybe I should bring some looser clothing in my carry-on bag and just change after the food and drink service. Does anyone else do this, or do you just sleep in whatever you are wearing? Was also thinking this may be a bit impractical/impossible to change clothes about an hour before landing when everyone rushes to use the bathrooms.

I know it’s a weird question, but am just curious to know if others feel the same about this and mainly what BA would consider to be proper “etiquette”. And before any of you suggest I wear jogging trousers/sports gear etc. to the airport, forget it – this isn’t happening, I look daft as it is!

Thanks,

R.

TravellingSalesman Oct 1, 2015 8:58 am

From observation people seem to sleep in anything from a suit to weird pyjamas onboard. I don't think there is any etiquette here, certainly I would doubt that BA has its own.

Wear whatever you're comfortable with, with respect to sleeping as well as being seen in public.

Can I help you Oct 1, 2015 8:58 am

The majority of customers change into something more comfortable either before takeoff or just after takeoff and change back before landing.
I personally wear a T shirt and some loose boxers with plenty of ballroom. :D

golfmad Oct 1, 2015 8:59 am

I wear shorts and T-shirt to sleep in when I travel long haul. Anything else (including the F pajamas) are just way too hot for me.

AAtticus Oct 1, 2015 8:59 am

Originally Posted by rmac86 (Post 25503521)
I know it’s a weird question, but am just curious to know if others feel the same about this and mainly what BA would consider to be proper “etiquette”. And before any of you suggest I wear jogging trousers/sports gear etc. to the airport, forget it – this isn’t happening, I look daft as it is!

Why not change into pyjamas or jogging trousers in the toilet on the plane after your meal? I'd take a good night's sleep over what other people think of me any time.

golfmad Oct 1, 2015 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 25503559)
The majority of customers change into something more comfortable either before takeoff or just after takeoff and change back before landing.
I personally wear a T shirt and some loose boxers with plenty of ballroom. :D

You should be easy to spot then when working :D

Can I help you Oct 1, 2015 9:10 am

I work in CW so hot nuts are not part of our service standard. :eek:

SteveF Oct 1, 2015 9:16 am

A short sleeve shirt and jeans or chinos. Can't be bothered with all of that changing nonsense, espcially in a tiny WC with disgusting (usually wet) floor.

I seem to sleep OK after several glasse of red and a large scotch or two, although I always seem to wake up with a headache for some reason. Must be the altitude :p.

Tim1975 Oct 1, 2015 9:20 am

I tend to wear black and dark grey items from M&S's loungewear range. They are as comfortable as a tracksuit but slightly smarter (especially the long sleeve items and if you avoid the tartan look), better quality then F PJs, cool but cosy (100% cotton) and they have enough pockets etc and a reliable enough drawstring that I keep them on for the taxi trip home.

I usually change into them in the lounge before boarding.

MADPhil Oct 1, 2015 9:29 am

I change into light weight pyjamas on board for night flights. It is possible to do it discretely in a CW window seat (at least no one has complained yet!) if you don't want to use a toilet. Tim1975's suggestion of M&S loungewear is interesting as the pjs aren't really suitable for wearing off the aircraft.

dc2447 Oct 1, 2015 9:31 am

First class 'flight suit' sic

KenJohn Oct 1, 2015 9:32 am

Heavens! I always change into one of my many BA/MH/VS PJ bottoms and t-shirt (I have only every like the CX PJ top) the moment I board the plane. Have done so for years. I make a bee line for the toilets after dumping my bags on the seat; while the plane is on the ground and no moving.

I change back about 30-45 mins before landing.

I often see other guys in shorts and bare feet. Cannot bring myself to do that.

The other half rarely changes to fly long haul. To each his own.

Oxon Flyer Oct 1, 2015 9:33 am

Swiss F PJs.

Originally Posted by Tim1975 (Post 25503664)
I tend to wear black and dark grey items.

Wise advice. They don't show the dirt. ^

golfmad Oct 1, 2015 9:37 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 25503704)
I often see other guys in shorts and bare feet. Cannot bring myself to do that.

Bare feet? Definitely not. I'll have my sandals with me too. I sleep bare foot. Shorts, t-shirt and bare foot for sleeping is my best recipe for keeping cool. Slip on the sandals for any wandering about.

sebanto2001 Oct 1, 2015 9:37 am

When flying CW, changing into jogging either in the lounge or the toilets near the gate and then back to jeans/suit and shirt in the plane or in the arrival lounge if back to LHR.

When flying FIRST, changing on the plane to the pyjamas and back to normal just before landing.