New standard of CW seat - covered in stale sick

Old Sep 30, 15, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
New standard of CW seat - covered in stale sick

Don't often post, but lurk. Have to share this however, on my recent return from CUN on holiday, about 30 minutes into the flight, i put my footstool down to discover it is clarted with sick from a previous passenger, on firther inspection it was all over the floor underneath the stool also, they must have spewed, then put it up immediately to try and save embarrassment.

This should have been cleaned, however it wasn't and when i told the cabin crew, she was diguisted but immediately dismissed this as it was not cabin crew's job to clean the cabin, but did give me a second blanket to cover the footstool. There were no free seats as people had been upgraded to fill the cabin (the couple either side of us (we had middle seats) had also been moved to not sit with each other to accomodate a couple who had been upgraded...

I posted a photo on twitter and got a very quick response and they followed up by calling me and giving me 20,000 avios. What are everyone's thoughts on this amount.

Can't see how to attach a photo here, so see link to the tweet for the photo.

https://twitter.com/jamesmikereid/st...86554010370048

Might have worked actually.

Old Sep 30, 15, 6:53 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
That's clearly not at all pleasant, and I also contrast your experience with the crew not taking responsibility for cleaning with MrsNWIFlyer's when she found some (still soft) chewing gum stuck to the plastic around her CW seat at head level. In her case, the CSM immediately took personal responsibility for removing it and arranging for Avios compensation via his iPad.

MrsNWI received 8,000 Avios, so I'd say your compensation level is probably somewhere near right on the grounds that the experience is slightly worse (albeit the remains were probably dry by that point) and the cabin crew were unwilling or unable to put it right (and were equally unwilling, by the sounds of it, to proactively deal with the compensation aspect).
Old Sep 30, 15, 6:53 am

Programs: BMI & BA
Stale? Stale? Shows how standards are slipping and that BA don't offer anything fresh anymore!!!

Seriously, this is disgusting and it's a very poor show to think that the cleaners either didn't check, didn't bother to clean or thought this was an acceptable way to leave a seat.
Old Sep 30, 15, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
How disgusting, if the customer had reported this to the crew they would have logged it to have the covers changed and the surrounding area deep cleaned, I'm guessing they were too embarrassed.
The cleaners should have seen the floor area, I don't think lowering the footrest is done in a normal turnaround clean.
As a crewmember onboard if the flight is full and there no alternative seats placing a blanket of the footstool and spraying air freshener is about all we can do.
The crew should have completed a service recovery form onboard and offered you some sort of compensation?
Not a nice thing to have to put up with.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Someone obviously didn't like the catering on the Outbound service!!

How disgusting. And how does someone puke onto a footstool anyway?

I don't want to condemn the puker without knowing the full story, but some people really need to learn some manners, common courtesy and decency.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:32 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I got 50K avios last year for flying in F with a dirty cabin/bad food.
I would be expecting similar, if not more, for vomit on my bloody footstool!
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The footstool is an essential part of the CW seat's comfort, just as much so as the actuation because without the footstool the bed, the Z-position and even the lounge position if your legs are short become meaningless. Effectively you got a seat that was not operational and this is almost as bad as being downgraded to WT+.

20k Avios is not enough compensation in my view. I would seek enough Avios to get a full 'refund' of an upgrade from WT+ to CW on this flight.

WT+ is 32.5k Avios on this route and CW is 62.5k. So I would be pushing for 30k Avios compensation.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Yuck...

That's all basically. Yuck...
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Probably I would have asked to be disembarked unless accommodated in a different seat.

In my opinion this is also an health and safety issue...can you imagine the smell?

20K Avios are peanuts for this kind of disgusting accident. I personally wouldn't even have accepted Avios as compensation. These sort of things must not happen at all.

Disgusted.

Last edited by 81romeo; Sep 30, 15 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
Probably I would have asked to be disembarked unless accommodated in a different seat.
If I read the OP right, they were in the air when this was noticed.
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Of all the things said about BA here, this is probably the first one that really makes me think 'I'm not flying an airline that thinks this is ok...'

I am shocked and really disgusted. 30K would not cut it for me either. A very personal apology and then we talk...
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:29 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The thread title needs a warning - looking at that photo is bad enough, never mind being actually confronted with it in person.

Lowering the footrest really should be done during a normal turnaround clean, it's a vital part of the overall CW seat. It's concerning that it isn't, given the likelihood of this attracting dirt from footwear.
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
If I read the OP right, they were in the air when this was noticed.
Yes indeed.

That's why I check seats as soon as I board (hotels are the same...I always check linen, showers etc before unpacking).
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:36 am
dsf

Programs: BA Gold
Well, that puts my complaint about used chewing gum in a seat pocket getting all over my passport in a bit of perspective. Eurgh.
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A mate of mine is a purser on BA and he says the crew call the Gatters - Orlando 777 the 'Vomit Comet'. 9h of kids eating what they please, lots of sugary snacks and parents quaffing too much booze. lol

In all seriousness - that's an absolute joke, and someone should get seriously bollocked. Spend thousands of pounds on a 'premium cabin' seat and discover this? Surely the smell on the original flight must have alerted people when the culprit emptied their stomach...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: