Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New standard of CW seat - covered in stale sick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
A mate of mine is a purser on BA and he says the crew call the Gatters - Orlando 777 the 'Vomit Comet'. 9h of kids eating what they please, lots of sugary snacks and parents quaffing too much booze. lol
If this is the case then I think BA need to take a look at how they mismanage the situation in the first place.

The kids meal tray is littered with sweets, drinks where a 'no added sugar' version would be the preferred option of any sane parent and IIRC a yoghurt that had some ridiculous volume of sugar in it. I'm not saying you need Annabel Karmel on the case, but whoever is nipping down to Tesco to source this needs a few basic lessons in nutrition.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold

Vile. I had a similar experience on a flight to BKK earlier this year. Fortunately I noticed it before takeoff and alerted the crew. The CSD quickly recalled the cleaners who did a deep clean and it worked very well. Couldn't smell anything after they'd cleaned it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
yuk! leaves me feeling decidedly queasy and that has nothing to do with my (boozy) lunch today, and no I am not about to get a flight ...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:11 am
nm7

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, Cathay Diamond, Amex Centurion, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Sirius Gold
I had a similar experience on a flight last year. The compensation offered was 20k avios. Given that vomit is highly toxic and it is a health hazard (and the crew refused to move me because I was in CW and the only free seats were in First or WT) I did push quite hard for more compensation, only for it to be rejected. I suspect I should have sent it to the Daily Mail or something!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by nm7
Given that vomit is highly toxic and it is a health hazard
Now, now... It is revolting but certainly not highly toxic... and not that much of a health hazard either (unless you start licking it...).

It is very disgusting though and this is the most successful dent that any poster here has ever caused BA's reputation (IMHO).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nm7
I had a similar experience on a flight last year. The compensation offered was 20k avios. Given that vomit is highly toxic and it is a health hazard (and the crew refused to move me because I was in CW and the only free seats were in First or WT) I did push quite hard for more compensation, only for it to be rejected. I suspect I should have sent it to the Daily Mail or something!
Sorry I don't want to seem arrogant but my expectation in this scenario would have been a straight forward move to an F seat. Perhaps any CSD or Purser on this board could advise about this.

If this wouldn't have been the case I would have categorically refused to go back to my seat and eventually I would have asked to speak in person to the Cpt.

Sorry but vomit is a health and safety issue and it's disgusting too.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Sorry I don't want to seem arrogant but my expectation in this scenario would have been a straight forward move to an F seat. Perhaps any CSD or Purser on this board could advise about this.

If this wouldn't have been the case I would have categorically refused to go back to my seat and eventually I would have asked to speak in person to the Cpt.
Flight had taken off and was fully booked...

Sorry but vomit is a health and safety issue and it's disgusting too.
H&S ? No. Disgusting: yes. Of course you would have gladly accepted a seat in Y to get away from this enormous danger.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
From the facts given a move to First would have been the correct thing to do, but as I wasn't there to see how bad the stain was and if they were able to clean the seat sufficiently.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
But CUN is three class, no?

Certainly, 20,000 Avios is an insult. I would have thought a travel voucher for half the value of the roundtrip fare would be reasonable.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
Vile. I had a similar experience on a flight to BKK earlier this year. Fortunately I noticed it before takeoff and alerted the crew. The CSD quickly recalled the cleaners who did a deep clean and it worked very well. Couldn't smell anything after they'd cleaned it.
Originally Posted by nm7
Well, the initial post left me disgusted, but these two others brings me speechless! I couldn't imagine that this type type of "cleaning incident" can ever happen in a business cabin…
I've read articles of similar incidents on Ryanair, blaming the weakness of the "cleaning" done by the crew in a few minutes…but how can this happen on a regular airline, with dedicated cleaning teams, in a long haul business cabin?! 20k avios wouldn't have brought me any relief!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
To be fair, the smell wasn't too bad, I assume being in CW and a leisure route, it would have been largely a liquid diet in the lounge and on the plane going to cancun. Wrong to assume however, could have been someone with travel sickness, but drinking a lot is certainly how I spent the flight out there. It completely put me off my food on the plane and I constantly had to check the blanket was in place properly when trying to sleep so didn't manage to sleep the entire time.

I did only notice once we took off, and they couldn't give me a seat in F, as it is a 3 class route. Although my flight out was swapped for a 4 class and when I checked in at ABZ I was offered seats in F, without them telling me it was actually in the F cabin, just that my seats had changed to 1E and 1F - I prefer the smaller 2 row second CW cabin. I have been told on previous flights of "aircraft change" to have someone else sitting in the seats I had booked months before, so stupidly I asked for my seats o be changed back to the original ones, shot myself in the foot really, but hey, the service on the way out was excellent and travelling with a partner is better in my opinion in the CW cabin. The checkin agent at LGW did explain properly, and tried to et he seats back, was too late though. Was CW service in the F cabin, so only missed out on the seat.

I also think 20,000 is a bit on the short side, but he wasn't going to offer anything else. Especially that I checked previous service recovery Avios where I was in F and my personal light wouldn't turn off and was given 25,000 (before Avios devaluation) this was way more of an inconvenience than the light not working.

EDIT: to answer another question. Only the cabin crew member I originally spoke to about it, spoke to me, and didn't offer me compenatIon then, was the social media team who offered me the compensation after sharing the picture on Twitter.

Last edited by jamesreid978; Sep 30, 2015 at 9:45 am Reason: Don't want to double post
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Flight had taken off and was fully booked...
Flight was not fully booked, only CW was.

Of course you would have gladly accepted a seat in Y to get away from this enormous danger.
Not really if I had paid for J.

Such a poor show. Also shocked by some members on this board making jokes about this episode.

It is simply disgusting and should not have happened at all.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Flight was not fully booked, only CW was.
Not yours, the OPs...

Not really if I had paid for J.
Assuming no upgrades available would you have found it such a H&S issue that you preferred a seat in Y to proximity to the vomit ?

Of course it should not happen but it does and it will and on every airline. The respons of the crew I found a bit sub standard as well as the compensation offered. Because it is disgusting, not because it is dangerous though.

People grossly exaggerating issues makes CS departments less sensitive to them. Just a tip... @:-)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
To be fair, the smell wasn't too bad, I assume being in CW and a leisure route, it would have been largely a liquid diet in the lounge and on the plane going to cancun. Wrong to assume however, could have been someone with travel sickness, but drinking a lot is certainly how I spent the flight out there. It completely put me off my food on the plane and I constantly had to check the blanket was in place properly when trying to sleep so didn't manage to sleep the entire time.

I did only notice once we took off, and they couldn't give me a seat in F, as it is a 3 class route. Although my flight out was swapped for a 4 class and when I checked in at ABZ I was offered seats in F, without them telling me it was actually in the F cabin, just that my seats had changed to 1E and 1F - I prefer the smaller 2 row second CW cabin. I have been told on previous flights of "aircraft change" to have someone else sitting in the seats I had booked months before, so stupidly I asked for my seats o be changed back to the original ones, shot myself in the foot really, but hey, the service on the way out was excellent and travelling with a partner is better in my opinion in the CW cabin. The checkin agent at LGW did explain properly, and tried to et he seats back, was too late though. Was CW service in the F cabin, so only missed out on the seat.

I also think 20,000 is a bit on the short side, but he wasn't going to offer anything else. Especially that I checked previous service recovery Avios where I was in F and my personal light wouldn't turn off and was given 25,000 (before Avios devaluation) this was way more of an inconvenience than the light not working.

EDIT: to answer another question. Only the cabin crew member I originally spoke to about it, spoke to me, and didn't offer me compenatIon then, was the social media team who offered me the compensation after sharing the picture on Twitter.
If suitable compensation had been offered onboard as per our service standards you wouldn't have had to take this further, it's bad enough that this happened without you have to contact CR via Twitter.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:57 am

Not yours, the OPs...

Assuming no upgrades available would you have found it such a H&S issue that you preferred a seat in Y to proximity to the vomit ?

Of course it should not happen but it does and it will and on every airline. The respons of the crew I found a bit sub standard as well as the compensation offered. Because it is disgusting, not because it is dangerous though.

People grossly exaggerating issues makes CS departments less sensitive to them. Just a tip... @:-)
Sorry but that's not complaining about a well done or too dry steak in F.
It's about a pax sitting in a seat with vomit on it.

Not too sure whether this could happen with EK, SQ or QR...or even LH just to remain in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.