Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA, the Chinese transit-without-visa provision, and multiple tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a 75 hour transit at PEK coming up which I am assured is allowed under a strict interpretation of the new Chinese transit-without-visa provisions. The journey is LHR-PEK-HKG-...-NRT-PEK-LHR.

However, the journey is on several tickets. I am doing a LHR-PEK-LHR return, thirty days apart; but continuing onto HKG on a fresh ticket 75 hours after my arrival (within the "three day" period set out below). Then on the way back I am doing NRT-PEK the night before my PEK-LHR flight.

Am I likely to face any trouble at the BA visa desk for this? As far as I can see, the Chinese authorities are not bothered as long as I have evidence of my onward flight, whether or not it's on the same ticket. Has anyone had any trouble doing this?

Here's the relevant TIMATIC information if you're interested:
Code:
Information as of  28SEP15 / 1414 UTC
National United Kingdom (GB)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)
Transit China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Destination Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
China (People's Rep.) (CN)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward airline
time of 24 hours.
Transit incl. multiple stops within China (People's Rep.),
with a total transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted. (SEE
NOTE 43503)
- Not applicable at Fuzhou (FOC) and Yanji (YNJ).
NOTE 43503: Not applicable to holders of British passports
endorsed  British National (Overseas) , who are required to
hold a Returning Resident Permit, together with their Hong
Kong ID.
-
Visa required, except for Holders of British passports
endorsed  British Citizen  holding confirmed onward airline
tickets to a third country, if arriving in and departing from
the same city:
- at Beijing (PEK), Chengdu (CTU), Chongqing (CKG), Dalian
(DLC), Guangzhou (CAN), Hangzhou (HGH), Shanghai Hongqiao
(SHA), Shanghai Pudong (PVG), Tianjin (TSN), Wuhan (WUH),
Xi'an (XIY) or Xiamen (XMN) for a max. transit time of 72
hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of
entry.
- at Guilin (KWL), Harbin (HRB), Kunming (KMG) or Shenyang
(SHE) for a max. transit time of 72 hours;
- All transiting passengers are subject to a check by
immigration. Passengers in transit must hold passports or
passport replacing documents that are accepted for entry
into China (People's Rep.). For more details on document
requirements, please enter China (People's Rep.) as a
destination.
- Not applicable at Beijing (PEK) if staying in the
international transit area.
- Leaving the transit area is allowed. (SEE NOTE 43503)
NOTE 43503: Not applicable to holders of British passports
endorsed  British National (Overseas) , who are required to
hold a Returning Resident Permit, together with their Hong
Kong ID.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 28, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
That's fine. The key fact here is that you're continuing onwards so it's transit rather than going back to the same airport after three days. No one will look at the underlying LHR-PEK-LHR as long as you continue to NRT within the three day window.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mec72
That's fine. The key fact here is that you're continuing onwards so it's transit rather than going back to the same airport after three days. No one will look at the underlying LHR-PEK-LHR as long as you continue to NRT within the three day window.
Good ^ but will BA be satisfied with that on the outbound?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
They should be, but it wouldn't hurt to have TIMATIC and a copy of your onward itinerary printed out just in case...

I had to read it a couple of times to reconcile the 74hr transit and the 72hr allowance. The 'starting from 0001 the next day' didn't immediately click with me. I'm guessing you'll get a 'hang on a minute, oh, okay' response from the document checker.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Should be fine, I have done similar thing twice already. Chinese immigration did ask for a printout of confirmed ticket/seat, but I had that on me so no problem.

I would think the only problem you may encounter is an agent at LHR who does not read TIMATIC properly...
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
And just to let you know and save time, in PEK you can go straight to the immigration counter, no need to 'pick-up' visa(or any special TWOV stamps) at the visa counter; this TWOV is done by a large stamp in your passport at the immigration directly.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have just done London-Helsinki-Beijing-Pyongyang and return with separate tickets on Finnair and Air Koryo. I had no problems getting the 72 hour visa waiver which is valid up to midnight on the last day even with the Air Koryo e-ticket being just an e-mail from the Beijing office Hotmail account.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have also done entry into PEK and onward TWOV, in on BA out on JAL on separate tickets and it works fine.

At PEK go to either the signed transit counter or if not open the Diplomat/APEC counter. The general counters can't handle TWOV.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
The one thing somewhat tricky here is the exceeding of 72 hrs, but it SHOULD work . assuming the agents are capable of reading the information correctly.

I have never had any problems in using this at PEK - just have a printout of the onward ticket.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am not so worried about PEK but getting through LHR! I will print out the TIMATIC information and my onward itinerary
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I am TWOV at CTU soon but I'm starting my journey at TXL. Will they do a visa check at TXL or at LHR?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
I am TWOV at CTU soon but I'm starting my journey at TXL. Will they do a visa check at TXL or at LHR?
At TXL if one one booking, it can be requested again at LHR if you are HBO. Keep both itineraries handy.

I've done it from there (or rather DUS), on one occasion they couldn't work out what the bleep meant, and just stared at the passport, then in T5 they wanted to see the itineraries. Second time I told the DUS agent and she took my word for it, cleared down the message saying "you seem to know what you are doing".....

And for the OP: no problem at all with mixed itineraries, BA and CX know the score, other airlines tend to get a bit nervy about it, so allow extra time on them so that various staff can push your paperwork to ever more senior agents.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I had issues at LHR with BA's agent unable to interpret TIMATIC. What's more, there's a visa helpline they can ring and whoever was staffing that seemed equally unaware of the 72hr visa - and this was just a couple of months back.

In all fairness the narrative on the screens the BA check in staff have isn't all that clear. If you don't know how the system works, it is confusing!

So I would say count on it taking 30 minutes at the desk. I reckon it was about 15 minutes for us and the agent's final attitude was "well, if you think it's OK...." I guess he wasn't the one who would get thrown into a salt mine with his wife & kids for 5 years hard labour if it went wrong.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Good ^ but will BA be satisfied with that on the outbound?
Perhaps calling BA before the date of travel, discussing with them the relevant transit rules and having them make an entry in the reservation record/system could be a way to pre-empt any issues?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew LHR-PEK-HND on 2 tickets a few weeks ago with 2 nights in Beijing. No one at BA verified my onward ticket at all! I had all the documentation printed, but no one asked for it!

When I was there, the 72 hour visa desks are on the far right hand side, with the 24 hour visa on the left hand side. I was stamped in very quickly then taken to a side desk where I had to fill in a form with my details and had a photo taken of me. They wanted a printed hotel confirmation that I didn't have. Of course Gmail is blocked in China so I was a bit stuck. luckily I know the address in Chinese so was eventually let out. PRINT YOUR HOTEL CONFIRMATION! This had changed from when I used the TWOV 2 years ago. It might have had something to do with the 70th Anniversary war parade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.