Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lon to HK - Looking for First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Lon to HK - Looking for First

First of all, thank you for everyones help in advance.

I am booked in I class to go from London to Hong Kong early March 2016. With a decent amount of Avios in my account I'm keen to make this trip a little special and redeem for first class.

-What is the best way to monitor 1st availability?
-What is the best way to redeem avois - online booking management general seem to state update with avios is not available/possible

Thanks a lot
sh
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Search for a regular First Class award seat on the flight in question.
If availability shows call BAEC to upgrade.
It's possible that availability may show up quite late on this route, once BA is satisfied that it's unlikely many more people will be wanting to book revenue First tickets.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I would also look for CX rather than BA. And even if you can't get F and have to settle for J, still definitely go for CX on this route. Much better hard and soft product.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sts603
I would also look for CX rather than BA. And even if you can't get F and have to settle for J, still definitely go for CX on this route. Much better hard and soft product.
The OP is already booked in to I class on BA.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The OP is already booked in to I class on BA.
Ah, should have finished that cup of cofffee
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by shello
First of all, thank you for everyones help in advance.

I am booked in I class to go from London to Hong Kong early March 2016. With a decent amount of Avios in my account I'm keen to make this trip a little special and redeem for first class.

-What is the best way to monitor 1st availability?
-What is the best way to redeem avois - online booking management general seem to state update with avios is not available/possible

Thanks a lot
sh
Check regularly for the redemption seats as noted above. If offered (and this route is generally full in F so it won't often be offered) I find it is more likely on the 777 rather than the A380 flight.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ENTP
Search for a regular First Class award seat on the flight in question.
If availability shows call BAEC to upgrade.
It's possible that availability may show up quite late on this route, once BA is satisfied that it's unlikely many more people will be wanting to book revenue First tickets.
Exactly... the upgrade option in MMB doesn't work 90% of the time. Search like you're looking to book a new trip (using avios) in first on the same dates. If availability shows up then call BAEC and they will upgrade you.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the responses so far.

The MMB behaviour was part of my question. From my experience in the past, I've had rarely (...actually never) any luck with availabilities for upgrade redemptions.

So the best bet seem to a frequent search for first award availabilities and call as soon as it shows (assuming it will eventually)

CX availability is great on this route .. unfortunately I was tied to book BA in the first place.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My husband and I are flying to HKG in CW (I ticket) towards the end of March and then on to SYD in business on CX. We're currently looking for availability on a daily basis to upgrade to F (on the BA leg), but without any success so far. From what I can see on the BA site, there's only 1 F seat available between now and the end of March 2016, so it's looking a bit sparse at the moment.

We did the same flights in January though and managed to upgrade both ways to F, so do make sure you keep checking on a regular basis and keep BA on speed dial so you can try to snap them up as soon as you see them.

Last edited by scmd76; Oct 1, 2015 at 4:12 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:09 am

A quick update...we just managed to grab 2 F reward seats for our return flight on 9th April, so make sure you keep checking.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by scmd76
A quick update...we just managed to grab 2 F reward seats for our return flight on 9th April, so make sure you keep checking.
Slightly OT, so apologies in advance, but when we leave Sydney on 9th April, we're in J on CX back to Hong Kong and then F on BA back to London (departing the same day). Would this give us access to the F QF lounge in Sydney or just the business class lounge?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I asked the CX agents about this at SYD and was told no (CX J connecting to CX F).
I didn't bother trying my luck at the lounge itself.
The J lounge was still very good, I particularly liked the coffee (QF has proper baristas in most of their lounges) and the fresh pistachio gelato.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would have tried the lounge, I think that with just an assumption that you should be there it would worked out.

I am sure there is a OW rule somewhere, but generally I find in the grey areas that going to the rule book is not helpful. Just a smile. ^

It is a QF lounge so asking them is the better bet than asking CX about QF lounge rules....

Esp. if there is no /F/ on that sector but it is an /F/ ticket.

//KF
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scmd76
Slightly OT, so apologies in advance, but when we leave Sydney on 9th April, we're in J on CX back to Hong Kong and then F on BA back to London (departing the same day). Would this give us access to the F QF lounge in Sydney or just the business class lounge?
Just the business lounge I'm afraid, but you'll have access to both the CX F lounges and all the J lounges at HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.