Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Executive Club Sucks [attempt to upgrade to First failed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:12 am

OP has a point here, sometimes BA revenue management misses the target. If you have a pax who wants to pay for an upgrade (either cash or avios) and you don't take it only to then give an opup to someone else - that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Wait listing need not lead to a clear-every-unsold-seat model. Back in the day CO was well-known for letting international business seats go out empty on some services instead of clearing their wait list. The main advantage of a wait list would be to prioritize status members for reward seats without wasting their time with this constant checking.
This was mainly done to reduce work on airport agents, not protect revenue. All international mileage upgrade has to be cleared by T-24. And there was for many years an easy work around - book a J award when there was only Y space and take a seat assignment for Y. Then you could be treated as displaced J passenger and entitled to any J seats at the gate. If not, you got your miles back (the J to Y differential).
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
While I understand not wanting to go the U.S. model of offering upgrades to elites on available seats (although, to be fair, U.S. airlines only do this on domestic flights, and usually require some upgrade mechanism for international ones), I don't really understand not releasing more inventory for UUA if there are empty seats available. Don't Avios (and all unredeemed FF miles for airlines) count as a liability for the airline? Seems like an easy way to get miles off the books while still earning revenue.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by irmster
don't like the US free for all model where people book a Y fare expecting to either upgrade with points or just be upgraded because of status. Totally devalues the point of a premium cabin.
As opposed to the BA model of overselling WT with cheap tickets and op upping them into CW and F?

My last two CW trips have felt very unpremium due to the behavior of some of the op upees.

I don't get why op upping is ever better for BA than offering Avios upgrades.

Last edited by HilFly; Sep 27, 2015 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
OP has a point here, sometimes BA revenue management misses the target. If you have a pax who wants to pay for an upgrade (either cash or avios) and you don't take it only to then give an opup to someone else - that doesn't make a lot of sense.
If BA give an OPUP to someone who has never flown in a premium cabin it might tempt them to pay for it in the future. You could argue that this is a long term revenue strategy rather than a short term 'fill every seat and each pound we can get today is brilliant' strategy.

BA make a handsome profit so what makes you think their strategy does not make sense! It might not please everyone, but that's a different matter!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sts603
That's a gross mis-characterization of the current state of play in the US.

Such free upgrades are by no means guaranteed and no experienced flyer would expect them. You know the odds based on route, type of plane, time of day, day of week, etc. But if you want F, you pay for F. I frequently do this on AA even though I am entitled to unlimited free upgrades domestically.
You may believe that , I definitely would not agree

Looking at threads on US carriers , there is an expectation of upgrades and whines how someone less worthy may have been upgraded --- even complaints about lower 1st class fares such that , shock - horror, more unworthy people are buying 1st class ands making upgrades harder to obtain

Also, when travelling on a premium ticket, it becomes a nightmare hopping onto an earlier flight as the cabin gets filled up by those upgrading cheap/free
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
Lastly, the fact that someone may have gotten into the cabin cheaper than you shouldn't devalue the experience. That's flying. Almost everyone "paid" something different.
It does devalue the experience. When a lot of passengers do not pay for flying first class the airline has no incentive or money to invest int the product (which is why it is not so good). And, no, I don't believe that EXPs somehow 'paid' by flying a lot on cheap economy class tickets. However, I think the idea of offering upgrades (it can be debated whether they should be free) on aircraft that have fixed premium cabins is good to ensure that no seat flies empty.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
You could argue that this is a long term revenue strategy rather than a short term 'fill every seat and each pound we can get today is brilliant' strategy.
This would probably be the first, and only, example of BA thinking in the long term rather than grabbing every penny they can.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: ABBA
Oh dear

One of the many reasons I'm avoiding BA is the reduction in op-ups from wtp on my routes. Rather than pay £3k 5 weeks out for a wtp ticket and fly in wtp, I pay £1600 3 days out on QR and fly in F-

Baec however is still handy if you're GGL, as you get to fly almost whenever and wherever you want on holiday long haul for about £600pp.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:33 am Reason: Remove inflammatory comments
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Oh dear

One of the many reasons I'm avoiding BA is the reduction in op-ups from wtp on my routes. Rather than pay £3k 5 weeks out for a wtp ticket and fly in wtp, I pay £1600 3 days out on QR and fly in F-

Baec however is still handy if you're GGL, as you get to fly almost whenever and wherever you want on holiday long haul for about £600pp.
I agree with you that QR offers better service for less money and BAEC really only becomes a winning program when you hit GGL.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:35 am Reason: Feather dust reply to deleted content
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
If BA give an OPUP to someone who has never flown in a premium cabin it might tempt them to pay for it in the future. You could argue that this is a long term revenue strategy rather than a short term 'fill every seat and each pound we can get today is brilliant' strategy.

BA make a handsome profit so what makes you think their strategy does not make sense! It might not please everyone, but that's a different matter!
BA makes a handsome profit becasue it is blessed with having a hub at Heathrow - an airport proximate to a global financial center and desintation for the rich (business and pleasure) with an enormous amount of price insensitive premium demand (and a lot of demand for the cheap seats down back) that prioritzes non-stops. What works to make a profit for BA isn't necessarily what it would work for competitors. And it certainly doesn't mean they couldn't make more money by running a better airline.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You may believe that , I definitely would not agree

Looking at threads on US carriers , there is an expectation of upgrades and whines how someone less worthy may have been upgraded --- even complaints about lower 1st class fares such that , shock - horror, more unworthy people are buying 1st class ands making upgrades harder to obtain

Also, when travelling on a premium ticket, it becomes a nightmare hopping onto an earlier flight as the cabin gets filled up by those upgrading cheap/free
Those complaints are entirely legitimate. That occurs when airlines don't follow their very set procedures about the hierarchy of upgrades. That's kind of irrelevant to being entitled to an upgrade. Its being entitled to an upgrade when by the airline's own rules you are entilted to one. Very different.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:36 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dennishoog
After checking in and while waiting for boarding at the gate. Someone with the same or lower tier got a upgrade to first while i was watching. I though it is ridiculous why somebody got the upgrade while the executive club told me there was no seats available.
After boarding i saw t with my own eyes that there was more than 5 seats were empty. at that point, i decided to quite the executive club membership.
You have no visibility to what happened behind the scenes here, yet you seem to be rushing to make the assumption that BA has some conspiracy against you and lied to you about the availability. Multiple scenarios may have played out here, such as:

- Multiple last minute F cancellations/flight changes/missed connections freed up some seats
- The person who got upgraded may have been selected for specific operational reasons, such as broken seat, or the fact he was sat next to an empty J seat and they needed to upgrade two people from World Traveller Plus due to overbooking in that cabin, etc

As a long-term Gold tier member, you must surely have by now worked out some of the intricacies of the EC. Such as the fact that BA does not automatically open up every remaining seat to Avios.

I am struggling to understand why not receiving an upgrade on one occasion would make you decide to quit the EC.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:12 am

During one of those 'Gold GL dinners' BA has I had a discussion with a manger from BA Exec Club about the seemingly random way involuntary upgrades are handled. His response was that in fact it is anything but. He explained that when the flight is 'finalised' -24HR from departure revenue management will first decide if there is a need for an upgrade list (ie whether a cabin is overbooked). If so, an upgrade list is made with passengers in order. Whilst tier or CIV plays a part it is NOT an automatic element in regard to place on the list (or being included on it at all). He explained the computer searches for previous invol upgrades, number of flights on BA versus those that have Gold from primarily flying on other OW carriers, passengers of a lower tier that have many BA flights but that tend to be in Y/W - and then frequent flyer status in terms of tiers will come into it.

AFAIK none of the european airlines have a 'free for all' approach to upgrades using Avios. Otherwise (as others have pointed out) savvy travellers will always fly premium cabins while seldom paying the applicable fares.

In the same way BA changed their policy in being able to upgrade at the airport for cash a while back as some people were using it to buy discount J/F tickets regularly. Now I believe some are entitled to buy airport upgrades but to others it's 'not available'.

There are a certain number of redemption seats available - end of. It's no different to a commercial revenue seat. If six J seats are available at a promotional fare of £2000 and those six seats were sold - yet 20 empty seats still remained at the higher fare class of £3500 - would you argue the point that one of the £2K seats be released as there are 20 empty seats? Of course not. The seats allocated in that fare bucket have gone.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Ba Executive Club Sucks

Thank you very much for those reply and comments, I think it doesn't effected any Executive Club policy at all. They do what they want . even to keep empty seats in a flight . it is the way how they threat their members. But if someone who had a golden tier for more than ten years expected a better treatment. Why someone got a automatic upgrade and someone don't . It might be a occasionally case, but I don't think so. Even post a complain to the Executive Club Board even got any effects. I ready want to say that I am very disappointed at the way how they handle this matter. Compare with Emirates and Etihad which I also have a goldcard member. We got better services and attention. Maybe BA have too many Gold Tier members that they don't care one more or less gold tier passenger. Or it might be a case of discrimination . because I am a Asian and the one who has been upgraded was a English. I hope it wasn't but I doubt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.