FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   HNL TP run/holiday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1712383-hnl-tp-run-holiday.html)

theeney Sep 25, 2015 9:30 am

HNL TP run/holiday

So finally after researching i have booked my first TP run/Holiday, have always been tempted to try Hawaii and now im booked for April 2016

DAY 1 DUB-LHR- BA Business
DAY 1 LHR-JFK- BA Club World

DAY 3 JFK-LAX AA Business Transcon (Flat bed)
DAY 3 LAX-HNL AA First 757 I think

DAY 9 HNL-PHX AA First 757 I think
DAY 9 PHX-PHIL AA First A321 No flatbed
DAY 9 PHIL-DUB AA Business A330 Flatbed

1,090 TPS, €1,650

Tom

wemyss Sep 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Enjoy!
If you are on the first transcon to connect with the 10am LAX-HNL, you may be on the slightly better, more modern , IMO, A32B which they are introducing...

T8191 Sep 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Welcome to the Club ... we're doing our second one in January.

But ... how do YOU get to DUB? That can take a bit of the shine off proceedings, especially if [like us] you spend a day/night doubling back to where you came from!

JER-LGW/LHR-DUB [o/n] DUB-PHL-LAX [o/n] LAX-HNL
HNLL-LAX-LHR-DUB [o/n] DUB-LHR/LGW-JER

Tiresome, and costs being added all the time :(

GreatBritishBAECOff Sep 25, 2015 12:42 pm

I've got a LAX - HNL next June, and the code on AA.com is showing as 32B. Is this just going to be a standard domestic F or are they improving this route before then?

T8191 Sep 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff (Post 25478128)
I've got a LAX - HNL next June, and the code on AA.com is showing as 32B. Is this just going to be a standard domestic F or are they improving this route before then?

As I understand it [which is admittedly limited] there may be a lot of airframe juggling once the US/AA merger is complete.

'Keep checking MMB' would be my suggestion.

The _Banking_Scot Sep 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff (Post 25478128)

Hi,

It will be the standard domestic F ( seats will be newer I think) and not the lie flat seats you get on the JFK-LAX transcons

Regards

TBS

T8191 Sep 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 25478146)
Hi,
It will be the standard domestic F ( seats will be newer I think) and not the lie flat seats you get on the JFK-LAX transcons.

Still better than our 757 back in January, though ... I assume ;)

Jamier45 Sep 25, 2015 12:50 pm

The seats are much better. Controls in your seat, personal IFE much much much improved!

flatlander Sep 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by theeney (Post 25477241)

DAY 3 LAX-HNL AA First 757 I think

DAY 9 HNL-PHX AA First 757 I think
1,090 TPS, €1,650

Seems like a reasonable deal to me. You likely won't be on the 757, that will have been retired by then. You will likely be on the 32B, the ETOPS-rated (hopefully :) ) 2-class A321. It gets reasonable but not great reviews for a day flight, and somewhat sucks for a night flight (because it's not flat).

The _Banking_Scot Sep 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 25478155)
Still better than our 757 back in January, though ... I assume ;)

Hi,

Yup,
The 757 domestic F seats to Hawaii are not that great:) ( did LAX-HNL rtn with my mum in April) but have not been on the new a/c yet

Hopefully get a new a/c to Hawaii next time. In 2016 got several trips to MCO and LAX planned ( running disney half marathons:p)

Regards

TBS

theeney Sep 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 25478090)
Welcome to the Club ... we're doing our second one in January.

But ... how do YOU get to DUB? That can take a bit of the shine off proceedings, especially if [like us] you spend a day/night doubling back to where you came from!

JER-LGW/LHR-DUB [o/n] DUB-PHL-LAX [o/n] LAX-HNL
HNLL-LAX-LHR-DUB [o/n] DUB-LHR/LGW-JER

Tiresome, and costs being added all the time :(

Well luckily enough... I live beside Dublin airport, so that comes in handy!

golfmad Sep 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by theeney (Post 25478904)
Well luckily enough... I live beside Dublin airport, so that comes in handy!

You could open a B&B and do very nicely from the ex-DUB TP runners :)

golfmad Sep 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jamier45 (Post 25478173)
The seats are much better. Controls in your seat, personal IFE much much much improved!

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 25478195)
It gets reasonable but not great reviews for a day flight, and somewhat sucks for a night flight (because it's not flat).

Indeed. I was on one on Tuesday from JFK-MIA. It's OK. It's new and does have the IFE but no better for sleeping on than the 737. I should have taken some pictures to post.

Discovery Bay Sep 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Maybe a touch off topic - but there are many comments on this thread about AA and the A321 to HNL.

I have already done a few sectors on the 321 and my experience has been mixed.

Only 16 seats now in First.
Restricted legroom in Row 1
Restricted recline in Row 4
Window seats have restricted foot space compared with aisle seats due equipment box under the seat in front.

If that is not enough - with the reduced capacity the beverage and meal service now appears to be carried out by only one flight attendant working alone. :confused:

Having said all the above - I personally find the padding on the seat is an improvement as is the IFE.

But I do think the trans-continental A321T is the "bees -knees" :cool:
^ ^ ^

golfmad Sep 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Discovery Bay (Post 25479099)
Window seats have restricted foot space compared with aisle seats due equipment box under the seat in front.

That's a really good point that I'd forgotten to mention. On the 737s and 757s, the window seats on AA had the larger foot space and the bar that anchors the seat to the floor split the space of the aisle seat. While not a problem for feet, the aisle seats therefore presented a bit of a problem for underseat stowage.

As Discovery Bay correctly points out, this has swapped around on the 32B. I didn't see an equipment box but the bar that anchors the seat now cuts down directly under the foot area on the window seat and the aisle seat has the more open space under the seat in front.