Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can Golds use the First check in area at T5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Deleted

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; May 23, 2020 at 6:25 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
It's nice that the Agent on First Check in, knew all the rules...!

Yes you are entitled to F Check in as a Gold.

You only need Photo ID if checking a bag in on Domestics, if HBO officially nothing is required, but courtesy to give something with your Surname on. For instance Tomorrow I will be travelling MAN-LHR-MAN with my NHS Staff ID.

Thankfully 99.9% of BA Ground staff are utterly charming and more than happy to help.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Yes you are entitled to use the First check-in a LHR T5.

At the entrance they often alternate with
"Are you travelling First with us today"
and
"Are you a Gold Card holder sir/madam"

Apparently it breaks-up the monotony
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BLHD
Thankfully 99.9% of BA Ground staff are utterly charming and more than happy to help.
And I'd agree with this.

At security, I came across the guy from To Fly To Serve (the TV show) and he was even more personable in real life than on the show. I told him I thought he was a celebrity and he was a bit taken aback.

At the lounge, whilst one agent was distracted by two people trying to blag access, the agent serving a growing queue was absolutely charming and welcomed us with "Yes of course you can bring a guest. Gold card holders are extremely welcome, and as is their guest. Enjoy."

At boarding, one agent was doing a superb of turning away non eligible customers. She turned a Silver away ahead of me ^ The Silver could have just used one of the other agents who wasn't interested in checking eligibility though.

But overall, it's the check in I go home remembering.

And neither of us was checking a bag, just wanting a seat change flying HBO.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by andset1191
And I'd agree with this.???

She turned a Silver away ahead of me ^ The Silver could have just used one of the other agents who wasn't interested in checking eligibility though.
One assumes that this would be LCY as even OWR (BA Bronze) has equal rights to priority boarding.

So its 99.8%..
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
There's a new boarding procedure - no F check-in (or cabin) from LCY. Golds and F first, then Silvers etc
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andset1191
And neither of us was checking a bag, just wanting a seat change flying HBO.
HBO Dometic and you use the First Class check-in?

That's what you get for showing off to your mate!!! ^

I knew if I bided my time I'd get you back.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:29 pm

It has been my experience that First check-in isn't worth the time it takes to walk down there.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HIDDY

What difference does the destination make? If you're dropping off a bag, use the desk with the shortest queue. Sometimes that's the F desk, doesn't matter if you'd hopping up to MAN or flying to Wales

Anecdotally the F desks will spend more effort on your checkin too. When I flew LHR-MAN with a couple of 35kg box they phoned up the baggage people to ask if they'd take a heavy load.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:17 am
Moz

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by wjm457
It has been my experience that First check-in isn't worth the time it takes to walk down there.
I agree 100%.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This is pretty disappointing and I suspect I would not have acted as calmly as you in response to that agent. On both points you were right and the agent was wrong and out of order with the attitude.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
One assumes that this would be LCY as even OWR (BA Bronze) has equal rights to priority boarding.

So its 99.8%..
No, LHR. The new rules that golds will board before silvers then bronze in a priority system.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:29 am

According to the rules, strictly speaking the agent may have been correct. For instance, if your work colleague wasn't a Gold member and you were expecting her to check your colleague in. Or, if you had both checked in already so that the check in function was completed, and you were only requesting the seat change help.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY

I'm sure this aspersive slur against the noble, good and honourable character of andset1191 is well off the mark. Having said that, I also was around T5 South yesterday and to get to the First check in area one would have had to walk past any number of check in agents who had nothing to do. I guess there was some sort of flash mob that popped in just as our intrepid and often disappointed traveller pulled through.

There are easier ways to switch seats: use the SSCI machines (if not App'd/Printed etc), use the rarely overworked customer service desk in Flounge and elsewhere, or the customer service desk by gate 13. Or ask the SCCM at boarding.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I don't always bother with the First checkin, but was recently flying from LHR with my wife and daughter. Neither are Golds and our daughter was in economy with us in CW. The queues at ALL the checkin desks were horrendous (this was at about 5:30am) and the only place where I reckoned we could get through checkin in a sensible time was the First checkin. I was not sure if they would let all 3 of us through, but they made no problems at all and we were indeed through very quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.