Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Cuba before a stopover in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to Cuba before a stopover in the US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by sebanto2001
Hi everyone,

I am going soon to CUN for a few days and since Mexico is not that attractive to me, I would like to go to Cuba during those days. I found quite good tickets with CU from CUN to HAV.

The issue is that on the way back from CUN I am flying CUN-MIA on AA then MIA-LHR on BA. Since in the US we always need to proceed to immigration even if just connecting, will they say something about my recent stay in Cuba? Is there any chance they won't let me pass immigration and I would miss my connecting flight to LHR?

As anyone had the same situation?

Thank's for reading!

You won't have any problem. Even the Pope is doing it
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Lots of US travellers went there and just did the Israel trick (i.e. stamp is on a blank sheet of paper which is stapled into - and later removed from - the passport page).
Israel don't stamp any more (at TLV, they do at Erez, not sure about other land borders), they do attach a hard-to-remove security sticker though.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I went to Cuba in April this year, got my passport stamped both in and out, and travelled to the US in July, on the same passport. It was no issue whatsoever.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by lfc84
I'm a UK passport holder flying from MAD-HAV. Will IB supply the tourist card or shall I arrange one via the Consulate in London ?
You should get one from the consulate in London. It is a very easy process if you arrive with all the correct paperwork.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

If you are not Global Entry you will need to declare the places you visited before landing in the USA. I would put Cuba as well as Mexico on that card.
If the OP omits to mention Cuba on the card, he better not have anything from Cuba with him (souvenirs, receipts, etc....). An omission may be viewed as a lie and lying to the US authorities can have worse consequences.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lfc84
I'm a UK passport holder flying from MAD-HAV. Will IB supply the tourist card or shall I arrange one via the Consulate in London ?
LAst week we flew SJO - HAV (with Cubana). Tourist cards were available at SJO airport and you had to have one in order to be checked in. $30 US
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If the OP omits to mention Cuba on the card, he better not have anything from Cuba with him (souvenirs, receipts, etc....). An omission may be viewed as a lie and lying to the US authorities can have worse consequences.
as a non-US citizen it's definitely not advisable to lie about having been to Cuba.

There is no reason to do it: if you're not a citizen the US simply don't care whether you've been to Cuba or not, as the Embargo only applies to US citizens.

On the other hand, lying, or omitting countries in your declaration card will, if caught, definitely get you into trouble.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I am not aware of anyone having trouble in the US as a result of having been to Cuba (as a non US resident).

Your bigger problem is likely to be the whole transit process at MIA. My last experience there was farcical, which is a shame because I quite like the ambience and layout of the airport, but the whole clear immigration and customs routine, even if your case is checked through, is pathetic.

By way of example, on my last trip there the queue for security (for transit passengers) was very long, so they filtered some of us through a door and directed us to a security checkpoint from the main terminal, which meant entering the main terminal and entering security from there. Upon arrival at the said checkpoint some jobsworth was refusing to let passengers through (even though we had been sent there) if they were unable to identify which gate they were flying from. My boarding pass did not have the gate, and as I had left a lot of time for transit (because I know MIA is sh*t) my flight was not showing any gate, so I was not allowed through. Thankfully one of this bloke's colleagues appeared a few minutes later and then corrected him stating that it was not necessary for there to be a gate number stated- there were quite a few disgruntled people standing around having been refused entry. The lady colleague and the jobsowrth then had an argument and I saw passengers just walk in (which is neither here nor there anyway because your BP is scanned shortly afterwards anyway, so anyone who should not be there would be turned away at that point). I then tried my luck again, showing my BP to the lady (who clearly had a brain unlike her colleague) and I was let in, but the whole thing is so unecessarily tiresome. I try to avoid MIA, but a lot of traffic goes through there, especially from central America and Caribbean.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Sep 21, 2015 at 8:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.