Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA took our 3 seats to give to 1 pilot!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Apologies for being off topic slightly but I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread and I do not want to create an extra thread for one small question, but what are the terms of the revenue sharing agreement?

I was under the impression that the revenue was linked to metal. E.g. If a passenger booked through BA to go on AA metal, BA would get the revenue from that passenger booking. Similarly, if AA books a passenger on BA metal then AA would keep the revenue from that passenger. In effect all airlines are pooling their aircraft and booking systems to offer greater flexibility and frequency to their customers but keeping their individual revenue management/cash flow.

However, after reading posts on the early pages of this thread, it reads as if AA/BA/AY/IB all divide out the revenue at the end of the FY regardless of the metal used.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Little girl. Had the ground crew taken that extra 10 seconds to explain this this thread would never have happened.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Im glad to get seated and land at the other end,
BA likes people like you who manage your expectations!!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
And i like them back....sometimes stuff just happens. but hell hath no fury if they run out of booze or ever try to put me in Y long haul....
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by dm6214
Little girl. Had the ground crew taken that extra 10 seconds to explain this this thread would never have happened.
I am not sure that the ground staff would realise the reason why a seat is being shifted, other than being able to see that an aircraft change has happened.

Knowing all about trim and O2 masks is more the domain of operating air crew.

I just don't think it is feasible for the ground staff to have time to investigate the reasons for seat changes in the time scales that boarding an aircraft creates. I am also not sure that the systems are able to log such detailed info for the ground staff to be able to see at the gate.

At least people can come on FT and get a reasoned answer about what the reasons could be for something like this happening.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
I strongly disagree about the first part. Airline employees on the ground lie many times and BA employees are no exception.
Well I guess that's your opinion but in my view that's one BIG sweeping statement, but I am sure you have your reasons to believe that.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I am not sure that the ground staff would realise the reason why a seat is being shifted, other than being able to see that an aircraft change has happened.

Knowing all about trim and O2 masks is more the domain of operating air crew.

I just don't think it is feasible for the ground staff to have time to investigate the reasons for seat changes in the time scales that boarding an aircraft creates. I am also not sure that the systems are able to log such detailed info for the ground staff to be able to see at the gate.

At least people can come on FT and get a reasoned answer about what the reasons could be for something like this happening.
What else can we say Littlegirl, well said and at least we try and give different explanations, as you say we weren't there and we don't know what information the ground team can access, the scenario explained by the OP and others can all be very different from each other and sometimes it's just not as straight forward as it seems to be.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by binman
I have personally experienced revenue First passengers....a couple I knew, be downgraded to accommodate BA flight crew. They were compensated handsomely at the time. BA's own policy on positioning flight crew is that they take priority over revenue in various circumstances.
The fact is, the OP would not be as frustrated as he clearly (and understandably) is, had someone taken a few seconds to properly explain. None of unlike bad news but very often a straightforward truthful explanation works wonders.
Positioning flight crew do not get priority over customers booked in First. The flight crew are non-offloadable but are regularly downgraded to J if an oversales situation has occurred. This is not to say that the case you quote did not happen but rather that is not the policy of the airline.

The second point you make is that the reason for the seat change was not explained properly on purpose. Often it is not feasible to give a detailed explanation at the gate due to time constraints but rest assured very few staff would invent a reason if you were not sure. Most likely factor was either that one of the three seats were broken and the seats were all changed in order for the family to remain together. No great conspiracy at all in my opinion.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
Apologies for being off topic slightly but I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread and I do not want to create an extra thread for one small question, but what are the terms of the revenue sharing agreement?

I was under the impression that the revenue was linked to metal. E.g. If a passenger booked through BA to go on AA metal, BA would get the revenue from that passenger booking. Similarly, if AA books a passenger on BA metal then AA would keep the revenue from that passenger. In effect all airlines are pooling their aircraft and booking systems to offer greater flexibility and frequency to their customers but keeping their individual revenue management/cash flow.

However, after reading posts on the early pages of this thread, it reads as if AA/BA/AY/IB all divide out the revenue at the end of the FY regardless of the metal used.
It's the latter. Makes no difference who you book with or who you fly with the profits (!) get shared out.

I found this article which may be of interest

A defining feature of a Joint Venture versus a traditional alliance like SkyTeam, OneWorld or Star Alliance is the concept of “Metal Neutrality”. This means that the revenue that each member of the JV receives on a defined route is independent of which air carrier actually flies the passengers. For example, Air France and Delta Air Lines, who are transatlantic JV partners, both fly multiple flights from New York to Paris every day. The total profits (or losses) received are split equally amongst the carriers, even if the Air France flights are full and Delta’s planes leave empty. Essentially, a JV is a merger that applies only to certain defined routes.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
I'm arriving somewhat late to this discussion but I'll add my experience of travelling with an infant. I have found that since the recent refurbishment of the A320s etc, the seats without sufficient oxygen masks are not greyed out and can still be selected when you OLCI. This means that you can unknowingly pick unsuitable seats. Pre- refurbishment you were prevented from picking unsuitable seats.

I have been told that my seats have been changed due to the mask issue only on boarding the aircraft. Moving us a few rows back on a SH flight is not a problem if we are kept in A/B/C or D/E/F seats.

In the worst case we had already boarded the aircraft. I was moved quite a number of rows back with the lap infant and 3 year old while my husband was left in his original seat. I was not pleased at the prospect of looking after both kids on my own while my husband got a nice relaxing kids-free flight! Fortunately for me, someone swapped seats so we got 3 seats together.

What I would like to know but have had no success in finding out is what rows to select on the A319/20/21 following the refurb. The old rule of ABC for odd rows DEF for even rows (or maybe it was the other way round) doesn't seem to be reliable now to prevent selecting the rows without an additional oxygen mask to avoid these last minute moves.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyingbee
What I would like to know but have had no success in finding out is what rows to select on the A319/20/21 following the refurb. The old rule of ABC for odd rows DEF for even rows (or maybe it was the other way round) doesn't seem to be reliable now to prevent selecting the rows without an additional oxygen mask to avoid these last minute moves.
This 'old rule' was never the way. Some craft had the alternates and some were all down one side.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:18 am

OP, relax. There is a perfectly valid reason for this; as has been said only certain rows have the extra oxygen for lap infants. We travel frequently with infants and we've been shifted for this reason, but just like in your case ground staff did not communicate properly.

And if I may, it was a rather short flight... and let's face it there are far worse things that can happen to us
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I find the assertion that airline staff lie to customers for the airline's benefit or just as a matter of course to be saddening, yet persistent - some other AAirline forums are worse, rife with a constant stream of allegations of deceit and laziness. Why so much vitriol? Assume cock-up over conspiracy, and assume ineffectiveness (here, of information systems) over cock-up.

I mainly wish to say that I am grateful for the many answers from BA staff from several areas of flight and ground operations to this sort of question, and I'm glad they are here and willing to answer questions with real information.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flatlander
Why so much vitriol?
Often (although not always) it's because the person doing the complaining feels that they have not been accorded the special treatment that they think that they deserved to get from the airline.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
What did the pilot do with the 3 seats he was given ? Did he take them home ? What will BA do with the gap between rows 1 and 3 ? So many unanswered questions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.