Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by transpac281
Incorrect, it is relevant, and the NTSB press release basically confirms it.

The NTSB states debris found on the runway is pieces of the high pressure compressor spool. They also state the aircraft was powered by GE90-85B.

AD 2011-15-06 pertains to high pressure compressor spools in the following GE90 powerplants: -76B, -77B, -85B, -90B, and -94B. The AD is unrelated to early issues with ejected carbon blades and gearbox problems which were addressed early in the GE90 program.
Does the NTSB press release say anything about this specific AD? I can't see it, and I can't see how the mere fact that the HP compressor spool appears to have been involved is any form of confirmation that the AD is relevant to this accident.

It's worth noting a statement made by GE, perhaps best summarised in this paragraph of avherald's current page on this accident:-
On Sep 15th 2015 media reports started to surface claiming that the FAA had made links between an Airworthiness Directive (AD) FAA-2010-1024 issued by the FAA in 2011 concerning a weld joint between 9th and 10th stage of the HPCR spool 8-10, where cracks had been discovered during examination of an engine, the FAA rated that condition as potentially unsafe and required additional inspections of GE90-76B, GE90-77B, GE90-85B, GE90-90B and GE90-94B engines. General Electric states however, that the BA B772 was equipped with different parts, for which this AD FAA-2010-1024 is not applicable.
To be fair, this is also mentioned in the Daily Beast article (and you have to go to the linked AD document to confirm that everyone is talking about the same AD). Who knows who is spinning what, and to what end? But it rather underlines the dangers of uninformed speculation here.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Fox News Local Las Vegas is this morning reporting the same as transpac281 mentions above.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:09 pm

Seems people are looking at AD's as a smoking gun. It is highly likely an AD is NOT the issue (unless the airline ignored the AD, which is unlikely). it makes for great 'shock' reporting and headlines, but is most likely smoke and mirrors.

Everyone should realize how common ADs are... there were 55 issued in the last 60 days. There are currently over 14,000 current ADs!. Boeing 777's (all models) have 157 current ADs. (Imagine that shocking heading... Boeing 777 Plagued by over 150 Airworthiness Issues that Need to be Addressed Now! - shocking, but completely misleading. )

ADs that were issued several years ago are most likely a non-issue, assuming the airline followed the AD. (A non-issue as it would resolve the issue.)

If the airline did not follow the AD, they can probably expect some big fines and big lawsuits.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Wait or Run ?

Thankfully in the case of BA2276 the evacuation was quickly ordered, and everybody exited speedily without serious injury.

I've just been reading an incident report where the pilots were so shocked by running off the end of a runway that they didn't even consider that they might need to order an evacuation - it was the control tower asking questions that forced them out of their "stupor".

It mad me think, we are told not to exit an aircraft until the pilot has shut down all the engines and it is safe to do so ... but has there ever been a recorded death due to early exit from a crashed aircraft ?

We obviously know that there have been many deaths when passengers haven't been able to exit quickly enough - often due to smoke inhalation.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Haven't been back to this thread as people knocking someone's opinion of a hotel because their cabin choice was economy really grinds my gears.

However, for those interested, BA have offered a free holiday for 4 people to any destination on the BA network and 5 years Gold status as compensation.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
My warped mind thinks that at least some FTers now wish they had been on board.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
However, for those interested, BA have offered a free holiday for 4 people to any destination on the BA network
Which cabin and do they get the appropriate tier points?

Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:43 am

Haven't been back to this thread as people knocking someone's opinion of a hotel because their cabin choice was economy really grinds my gears...
I thought the whole discussion of which hotel the passengers were being accommodated was an unnecessary distraction IMHO, and yes, a little grinding.

... However, for those interested, BA have offered a free holiday for 4 people to any destination on the BA network and 5 years Gold status as compensation.
Do you know if this was a 'full and final' settlement or an interim gesture? Presumably that would be on top of any actual special damages (out of pocket expenses, loss of wages, replacement goods etc)?

I suppose for those whose only 'injury' was the inconvenience of the cancelled flight and being separated from their luggage for a short while that is not too bad a gesture.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I thought the whole discussion of which hotel the passengers were being accommodated was an unnecessary distraction IMHO, and yes, a little grinding.

Do you know if this was a 'full and final' settlement or an interim gesture? Presumably that would be on top of any actual special damages (out of pocket expenses, loss of wages, replacement goods etc)?

I suppose for those whose only 'injury' was the inconvenience of the cancelled flight and being separated from their luggage for a short while that is not too bad a gesture.
I should have mentioned, the flights are CW (despite their original itinerary being Y).

This is a "final settlement" as far as I'm aware. I'd imagine anyone injured would likely be having further discussions, and EU261 tends to have to be proactively chased.

Personally, at this point, I'd say "pay us the EU261 as well as 'spending money' and I'll shake hands and walk away". I think it's a fair offer.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think you might also consider psychological injury for some of those on this flight: nightmare's, fear for flying,... This is not to be underestimated and can change someones life.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
...However, for those interested, BA have offered a free holiday for 4 people to any destination on the BA network and 5 years Gold status as compensation.
-waits patiently for someone to complain about how much busier the GF Lounge will become...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by vibguy
I think you might also consider psychological injury for some of those on this flight: nightmare's, fear for flying,... This is not to be underestimated and can change someones life.
Indeed, that's why I chose my words very carefully.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by vibguy
while it may indeed be an issue, I don't believe it's possible to claim for that.

The Montreal Convention applies here, and limits damages to physical injuries. Not psychological, or 'pain and suffering'.

It is also my understanding that where Montreal applies, it applies exclusively. You can't bring a separate against the airline outside of Montreal.

I assume BA would provide counselling if requested.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I am sure that a shedload of ambulance chasers are already talking to the US pax at least. And sadly, they will probably get a settlement, even without nightmares.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
while it may indeed be an issue, I don't believe it's possible to claim for that.

The Montreal Convention applies here, and limits damages to physical injuries. Not psychological, or 'pain and suffering'.

It is also my understanding that where Montreal applies, it applies exclusively. You can't bring a separate against the airline outside of Montreal.
That's my reading of it.

I will be interested to hear what anyone else (like an expert ) might say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.