Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Reply

Old Sep 14, 15, 10:25 am
  #751  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,245
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I ask again then, where is the evidence of your claim above? Just to be clear, I've bolded the part I'm talking about.

It's not in the recommendations of the AAIB (the link you gave). So, where did it come from?
I'll help bealine out. There isn't any evidence that the CAA said any such thing. They were utter nonsense comments. As if a serious regulator would tell the airlines to employ a "new breed" of people.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 11:45 am
  #752  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,116
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
I'll help bealine out. There isn't any evidence that the CAA said any such thing. They were utter nonsense comments. As if a serious regulator would tell the airlines to employ a "new breed" of people.
Indeed
DYKWIA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 11:58 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by bealine View Post
Hear, hear!

Following the British Airtours Manchester Airport fire a good few years ago, the CAA demanded that airlines took on a new breed of cabin crew - those able to take charge, assert themselves and command. I can think of one or two ex-servicemen who now fly for BA that you would not get away with stopping on your way to the exits or you'd be "bounced"!
It seems like the crew members on that day felt they were being pretty assertive. Quote below from one of the surviving cabin crew:

In training, when they say to people ‘Stand on top of the slide and jump’ it wasn’t like that at all. What happened was you ended up pulling the passengers and throwing them down the slide head first, or which ever to really get them out with any kind of speed. It wasn’t textbook but it worked for those people.
Source: http://confessionsofatrolleydolly.co...gway-disaster/
mentor of monty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 1:04 pm
  #754  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 158
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I've gone back a few pages and can't see anything......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...medium=twitter

The Daily Beast has learned that the General Electric engine that failed was the subject of a safety warning from the Federal Aviation Administration four years ago.........
Mikey07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 2:15 pm
  #755  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Posts: 566
Originally Posted by Mikey07 View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I've gone back a few pages and can't see anything......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...medium=twitter
there are currently 14,383 active ADs !
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ss_directives/

it's way too early to know whether this is relevant.
fartoomanyusers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 2:19 pm
  #756  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by fourspoons View Post
Just realised the irony of BA's current lounge wifi password.... I'm not a superstitious man but I might think twice about flying to the next city they change it to!
Actually when we flew back last week after this incident, we noticed both JFK and LHR club lounges were now displaying the password applicable from 1 October (per the paper stands), which already worked. As did the original September password, which was still shown on the app.
JamieT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 3:23 pm
  #757  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,847
Maybe the xAAs did not ask for cabin crews to become bouncers, but they did ask Boeing and GE to conduct additional inspections / replace parts on this very engine.

This AD was prompted by cracks discovered on one HPCR 8-10 spool between the 9-10 stages in the weld joint. We are issuing this AD to prevent failure of the HPCR 8-10 stage spool, uncontained engine failure, and damage to the airplane.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...011-15-06.html

http://gizmodo.com/the-faa-warned-bo...777-1730504726

Never sure what to make of it, but I have heard some rumours about the older GE series before.
henkybaby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 5:22 pm
  #758  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 8,851
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post
Actually when we flew back last week after this incident, we noticed both JFK and LHR club lounges were now displaying the password applicable from 1 October (per the paper stands), which already worked. As did the original September password, which was still shown on the app.
So what is the ironic password ?
HMPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 10:29 pm
  #759  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Swindon UK
Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred
Posts: 804
I mentioned it a few pages ago. As far as I can remember the AD did not relate to this particular model of the GE90.
vibrex is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 10:39 pm
  #760  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
So what is the ironic password ?
LasVegas!
fourspoons is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 11:07 pm
  #761  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helvetia
Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
Posts: 2,123
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Never sure what to make of it, but I have heard some rumours about the older GE series before.
There were some major issues early on with the older GE90s. However, I think I remember hearing that most of these were issues with the carbon fiber fan blades.
greg5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 15, 11:57 pm
  #762  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,493
Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
There were some major issues early on with the older GE90s. However, I think I remember hearing that most of these were issues with the carbon fiber fan blades.
Gearboxes took them out of service for a short while i believe. Although that would be on the outboard side on this aircraft??
1010101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 15, 8:01 am
  #763  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: KIX
Programs: ANA
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
there are currently 14,383 active ADs !
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ss_directives/

it's way too early to know whether this is relevant.
Originally Posted by vibrex View Post
I mentioned it a few pages ago. As far as I can remember the AD did not relate to this particular model of the GE90.
Incorrect, it is relevant, and the NTSB press release basically confirms it.

The NTSB states debris found on the runway is pieces of the high pressure compressor spool. They also state the aircraft was powered by GE90-85B.

AD 2011-15-06 pertains to high pressure compressor spools in the following GE90 powerplants: -76B, -77B, -85B, -90B, and -94B. The AD is unrelated to early issues with ejected carbon blades and gearbox problems which were addressed early in the GE90 program.
transpac281 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 15, 8:15 am
  #764  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Swindon UK
Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by transpac281 View Post
AD 2011-15-06 pertains to high pressure compressor spools in the following GE90 powerplants: -76B, -77B, -85B, -90B, and -94B. The AD is unrelated to early issues with ejected carbon blades and gearbox problems which were addressed early in the GE90 program.
Thanks for clearing that up
vibrex is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 15, 9:02 am
  #765  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 19,873
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Not British, but nice try. I was simply providing factual data that rebuts your prior assertion.
Ah. Well...nice try.

Back on topic, I understand that the left engine has now been removed from the aircraft and taken to GE for further tests and such.
DenverBrian is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread