Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I ask again then, where is the evidence of your claim above? Just to be clear, I've bolded the part I'm talking about.

It's not in the recommendations of the AAIB (the link you gave). So, where did it come from?
I'll help bealine out. There isn't any evidence that the CAA said any such thing. They were utter nonsense comments. As if a serious regulator would tell the airlines to employ a "new breed" of people.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by simons1
I'll help bealine out. There isn't any evidence that the CAA said any such thing. They were utter nonsense comments. As if a serious regulator would tell the airlines to employ a "new breed" of people.
Indeed
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bealine
Hear, hear!

Following the British Airtours Manchester Airport fire a good few years ago, the CAA demanded that airlines took on a new breed of cabin crew - those able to take charge, assert themselves and command. I can think of one or two ex-servicemen who now fly for BA that you would not get away with stopping on your way to the exits or you'd be "bounced"!
It seems like the crew members on that day felt they were being pretty assertive. Quote below from one of the surviving cabin crew:

In training, when they say to people ‘Stand on top of the slide and jump’ it wasn’t like that at all. What happened was you ended up pulling the passengers and throwing them down the slide head first, or which ever to really get them out with any kind of speed. It wasn’t textbook but it worked for those people.
Source: http://confessionsofatrolleydolly.co...gway-disaster/
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:04 pm

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I've gone back a few pages and can't see anything......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...medium=twitter

The Daily Beast has learned that the General Electric engine that failed was the subject of a safety warning from the Federal Aviation Administration four years ago.........
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Mikey07
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I've gone back a few pages and can't see anything......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...medium=twitter
there are currently 14,383 active ADs !
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ss_directives/

it's way too early to know whether this is relevant.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by fourspoons
Just realised the irony of BA's current lounge wifi password.... I'm not a superstitious man but I might think twice about flying to the next city they change it to!
Actually when we flew back last week after this incident, we noticed both JFK and LHR club lounges were now displaying the password applicable from 1 October (per the paper stands), which already worked. As did the original September password, which was still shown on the app.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Maybe the xAAs did not ask for cabin crews to become bouncers, but they did ask Boeing and GE to conduct additional inspections / replace parts on this very engine.

This AD was prompted by cracks discovered on one HPCR 8-10 spool between the 9-10 stages in the weld joint. We are issuing this AD to prevent failure of the HPCR 8-10 stage spool, uncontained engine failure, and damage to the airplane.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...011-15-06.html

http://gizmodo.com/the-faa-warned-bo...777-1730504726

Never sure what to make of it, but I have heard some rumours about the older GE series before.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JamieT
Actually when we flew back last week after this incident, we noticed both JFK and LHR club lounges were now displaying the password applicable from 1 October (per the paper stands), which already worked. As did the original September password, which was still shown on the app.
So what is the ironic password ?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
I mentioned it a few pages ago. As far as I can remember the AD did not relate to this particular model of the GE90.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
So what is the ironic password ?
LasVegas!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Never sure what to make of it, but I have heard some rumours about the older GE series before.
There were some major issues early on with the older GE90s. However, I think I remember hearing that most of these were issues with the carbon fiber fan blades.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
There were some major issues early on with the older GE90s. However, I think I remember hearing that most of these were issues with the carbon fiber fan blades.
Gearboxes took them out of service for a short while i believe. Although that would be on the outboard side on this aircraft??
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: ANA
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
there are currently 14,383 active ADs !
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ss_directives/

it's way too early to know whether this is relevant.
Originally Posted by vibrex
I mentioned it a few pages ago. As far as I can remember the AD did not relate to this particular model of the GE90.
Incorrect, it is relevant, and the NTSB press release basically confirms it.

The NTSB states debris found on the runway is pieces of the high pressure compressor spool. They also state the aircraft was powered by GE90-85B.

AD 2011-15-06 pertains to high pressure compressor spools in the following GE90 powerplants: -76B, -77B, -85B, -90B, and -94B. The AD is unrelated to early issues with ejected carbon blades and gearbox problems which were addressed early in the GE90 program.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by transpac281
AD 2011-15-06 pertains to high pressure compressor spools in the following GE90 powerplants: -76B, -77B, -85B, -90B, and -94B. The AD is unrelated to early issues with ejected carbon blades and gearbox problems which were addressed early in the GE90 program.
Thanks for clearing that up ^
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gengar
Not British, but nice try. I was simply providing factual data that rebuts your prior assertion.
Ah. Well...nice try.

Back on topic, I understand that the left engine has now been removed from the aircraft and taken to GE for further tests and such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.